[Official] The Qnix/X-Star 1440p Monitor Club - Page 148 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] The Qnix/X-Star 1440p Monitor Club

post #1471 of 26164 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 02:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I have a question which I know it's been posted somewhere but can't seem to find it...
How do you verify that the screen is actually running at 120Hz? There was some sort of a motion test I think.

Also is there anything extra I need to do to make games run at 120Hz? I'm running 7970's in CF.

Reason I ask is because I don't seem to notice any difference when gaming... the mouse cursor is smoother though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 26164 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 02:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 66 (Unique: 56)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboss View Post

Just curious but what hz did you get on stock cable?

I got 115 stable with automatic timings, at 120Hz I had to use manual timings 2704/1446 (with one or 2 lines on black background web pages). 121+ had scan lines all over the screen as if the screen had went on a acid trip. This new cable is way over built, its of high quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slh28 View Post

I have a question which I know it's been posted somewhere but can't seem to find it...
How do you verify that the screen is actually running at 120Hz? There was some sort of a motion test I think.

Also is there anything extra I need to do to make games run at 120Hz? I'm running 7970's in CF.

Reason I ask is because I don't seem to notice any difference when gaming... the mouse cursor is smoother though.

Move your browser window to the left and right quickly, If you see smooth motion than you'll know your at 120Hz.

Hes sad cause I'm going Intel.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1o2l go_quote.gif
Intel won't let AMD fail. AMD helps Intel by keeping the government off Intel's ass.
Enfluenza: CRY
Enfluenza: then imma buy some dozers and mow ur bridge
post #1473 of 26164 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 03:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 102 (Unique: 90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slh28 View Post

Your games will have to be running at a steady for 120fps for you to notice it I believe.

The main test for me is to put my monitor on a black background and swirl the mouse around. Count the points the mouse makes on the circles you're drawing, then move the mouse to a diff monitor that is 60hz if you have one and do the same thing. Or you could switch the resolution to a lower hertz if you have 1 monitor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1474 of 26164 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolio831 View Post

I got 115 stable with automatic timings, at 120Hz I had to use manual timings 2704/1446 (with one or 2 lines on black background web pages). 121+ had scan lines all over the screen as if the screen had went on a acid trip. This new cable is way over built, its of high quality.
Move your browser window to the left and right quickly, If you see smooth motion than you'll know your at 120Hz.

I know, for any one running windows 8, if you scroll through the metro apps, theres a huge difference.
post #1475 of 26164 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 03:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMarkelson View Post

Your games will have to be running at a steady for 120fps for you to notice it I believe.
My games do run at 120+ fps in the MSI Afterburner log with vsync disabled. Somehow I don't really notice any increase in smoothness. Maybe it's the microstutter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolio831 View Post

Yeah the desktop is definitely running at 120Hz. That's a good test actually, more noticeable than just looking at the mouse cursor.

post #1476 of 26164 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 03:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGivaway View Post

In other news, I can run @ 120Hz if I use the EVGA pixel clock OC utility, but I have a feeling once I reboot the login screen won't show up again. It seems that whatever video mode Windows uses between the loading logo and the login screen is causing an issue. I also am able to turn the monitor off and then back on while already logged in and running 120hz and it has no problem displaying properly then. Anybody have ideas? I'm getting tired of reinstalling the graphics drivers.

The workaround I'm using for now is that I just keep the monitor at 96Hz on the desktop, but the EVGA tool seems to have added a custom res for me in NVCP for 120Hz. I used Nvidia Inspector to set the option for games to prefer the maximum refresh rate of the display. This should mean that games run @120Hz, and I'm still able to reboot cleanly (verified.)
post #1477 of 26164 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 04:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Okay, if anyone can help me that would be great. I've done the tape mod on both of my monitors, but one monitor has in the bottom of the bezel in the lower left portion is a bad bit of backlight bleed that looks like a flashlight cone. How can I get rid of that or at least minimize it?

I'll try to get you guys a picture tonight if I can. Otherwise, these monitors are fantastic. No dead pixels on either, one monitor I was able to minimize backlight bleed to nearly zero. The other monitor is the one with that one little section of backlight bleed.
post #1478 of 26164 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 141 (Unique: 99)
This came up in teh overclocking thread for PLS displays and i thought it might be a good idea to add to our members list.

"""""""""""""""""

Messed around with settings a lot, found a low pixel clock one and believe I'm at my max now.

Occasional green lines max: 118hz
No green lines/perfect picture max: 108hz

Thinking strongly about upgrading to an Nvidia card to hit 120hz cleanly, as I've read Nvidia is superior to AMD for hertz overclocking.

""""""""""""""""""
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigleyvillain View Post

Yeah...I don't know about that dude. Can't say I have heard the same. I sure as hell would not buy another card if based on that hearsay alone. Though I do have a GTX 480 I don't need... biggrin.gif

I think people with nvidia have been seeing a bit better results since i have been keeping tabs over the PLS club since it started. I think a good addition that would help this distinction would be to add a video card type to the members list chart. I will go over there and suggest it for you guys thumb.gif
post #1479 of 26164 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 04:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Does anyone know if these will work with a DVI-D to mini-DP adaptor? I have seen it asked multiple times but haven't seen an answer. I am also at the beach so I can't check the OP to see anything there. On mobile. I want a second monitor and need to know if I have to save for a new card first, Haha.
post #1480 of 26164 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 04:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 81 (Unique: 60)
I don't know I want to try as I have two ports and adapters at work too but I keep forgetting to bring one home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in