custom screen 31" - 3600x1600 - cost 250$ - Page 13 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

custom screen 31" - 3600x1600 - cost 250$

post #121 of 476 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 02:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 142 (Unique: 100)
The problem i have with the retina display screen is overall the panel bezel is kinda big compared to a lot i have seen. Mainly it is the camera's fault.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 476 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Here is a good ebay posting i found that has some good screenshots for those who are interested. (not so much a good price though this is only for screenshots)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBook-Pro-15-A1398-mc975-MC976-RETINA-Model-LCD-LED-Screen-Panel-/160883445190?hash=item2575668dc6

Here is anotehr good price from a pretty good seller on ebay i found

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSN154YL01-006-New-Apple-Pro-Retina-A1398-15-4-WQXGA-LED-LCD-Screen-GLOSSY-/190859984830?pt=US_Laptop_Screens_LCD_Panels&hash=item2c70243fbe
post #123 of 476 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
I was thinking you could remove the actual LCD from that, that looks like it has the webcam and glass already attached to it. It may not be doable, but that was my line of thought. If not that's kind of annoying, but I don't think it's a deal killer.

How could I tell if a controller will work with both screens?

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz - RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary - OpenBenchTable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 476 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_003 View Post

I was thinking you could remove the actual LCD from that, that looks like it has the webcam and glass already attached to it. It may not be doable, but that was my line of thought. If not that's kind of annoying, but I don't think it's a deal killer.

How could I tell if a controller will work with both screens?

There is no controller that will be able to run both screens sense they are individual panels. Even if you made one you likely could not get it to work since many video card have a max resolution that they can display. Also you would likely decrease the quality because you are passing too much of a pixel clock on one cable and controller bus. Running them separately would be advisable thus needing a controller per screen.
post #125 of 476 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Sorry, I don't mean one that would run both at once. I would like a controller where I could run it with the iPad screen to actually test, and then later on use that same controller for the MBP screen, without the iPad screen attached to that controller. thumb.gif

Ideally with HDMI or DP compatibility. thumb.gif

Just thought of this, but iPad Retina screen would be excellent for old games with a 4:3 ratio.

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz - RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary - OpenBenchTable
post #126 of 476 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 237 (Unique: 187)
I would not put 4K screen price anymore in the 4000$ ballpark but more like closer to ~700$ TBH. As that is what you can get the cheapest ones currently. Ofc these have some issues (HDMI only and as such limited 30 HZ, which can be overclocked on some screens up to ~40 Hz)

As far as one controller goes to control both ipad and mackbook pro retina screens - while theoretically possible I'm not aware of any of them. The display itself is supposed to need just displayport signal routed to the right pins, however, the problem is back-light control. These screens are supposed to use different number of LED strips for that. When googling around few days back I did not spot any converter boards for the signal for that mackbook pro screen. There were some projects / blogs where it was visible that people are working on these.

IPAD retina screen has relatively large (for its size) bezels at the top and bottom. By the spec sheet something in the order of ~10 mm. The side bezels (when you have the screen in landscape) seem to be somewhat thinner at ~ 6 mm. When I get mine in ~3 weeks I'll do some measurements for sure unless someone who has one already gets it done before that.

I think that the fact that one can use these screens at PC would deserve its own special thread once people get their hardware and start tinkering with it more thoroughly. Or this thread even (although the original title would be a bit misleading in that regard).
post #127 of 476 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 09:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 32)
This is freakin incredible dude! Great job thumb.gif

Normandy
(17 items)
CPU
i7 4790K
Motherboard
MSI Z95 Gaming 5
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
RAM
Kingston HyperX Fury
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850 500gb
Hard Drive
2x 500GB WD Caviar Black/Blue
Power Supply
Cooler Master GX-750W
Case
NZXT H500
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit)
Monitor
QNIX QX2710 27" 1440P
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
Mouse
Razer Deathadder
Mouse
Razer Goliathus Control Edition
Audio
Soundblaster Audigy RX 7.1
Audio
Fiio E17 ALPEN DAC/AMP
Audio
Sennheiser HD 558
Audio
Denon AVR 1507 7.1 Surround System
▲ hide details ▲

post #128 of 476 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 03:33 AM
Hardware Princess

Rep: 38 (Unique: 30)
That's incredibly cool. I've always wanted to try that idea with high DPI laptop panels, but considering my skills it would wind up a flimsy duct taped monstrosity.

CHILLER DESTRUCTION
Build Log - White Voodoo
basic linux pc
(15 items)
Z390 Station
(11 items)
CPU
7980XE @ 4.3 GHz 1.10v
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Apex
GPU
2 x Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 Ti @ 2037/6318
RAM
Trident Z 16gb 3200c14 @ 3800c16 1.50V (the other two sticks were sacrificed)
Hard Drive
960 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 1600 T2
Cooling
HWLabs GTR 420+280 Rads
Cooling
7 x Noctua Industrial 140mm 3000 RPM Fans
Cooling
EK D5 Pump/Res (with RGB!)
Case
LD Cooling PC-V7
Operating System
Linux Mint 19.6
Monitor
NEC PA271W
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Mouse
Logitech M510
Mousepad
anime tiddy mousepad
CPU
9900K @ 5.4 1.50v
Motherboard
EVGA Z390 Dark
GPU
Titan RTX 2085/8500
RAM
Trident Z 3200c14 @ 4600c20 1.5v
Hard Drive
970 Evo Plus 250gb
Power Supply
silverstone 1200 from 2008 (other one exploded)
Cooling
HWLabs GTX 360 Rad (in RED)
Cooling
3x EK Vader 120mm 2200rpm Fans
Case
Dimastech Test Bench
Monitor
AOC Agon AG251FZ 240Hz
Audio
Built-in Monitor Speakers (3 watt)
CPU
Dual Intel Xeon L5520 2.26 GHz
RAM
48 GB Samsung DDR3-1066
Hard Drive
120 GB Samsung 750 Evo SSD
Hard Drive
2 TB Western Digital Green
Hard Drive
2 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM
Power Supply
650W Delta PSU
Case
1U Rackmount
Operating System
Ubuntu Server 16.04
▲ hide details ▲
post #129 of 476 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 04:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 237 (Unique: 187)
About that IPAD3 / 4 screen and its overclocking ability. The spec sheet I found in the net can be seen at - http://www.panelook.com/LTL097QL01-W01_SAMSUNG_9.7_LCM_overview_17823.html

Now on that page it lists Frequency: 60 Hz with a little green question mark next to it - you can hover your mouse over it and there is some additional stats (and disclaimer about Panelook copyright so I will not post a screenshot of that in here in case its against the forum rules - so go hover the mouse over it to see it) which read as:
120 Hz (60HZ Input): Embedded MEMC Circuit
120Hz + 120 Hz : 120 Hz Panel + 120 Hz Backlight
240 Hz (60HZ InputI): Embedded MEMC Circuit

So the question is what do you make out of it. Is HZ something else than Hertz (usually Hz) or is it just typo? Then there is reference to the Embedded MEMC Circuit which - as I'm not familiar with these things at all reads that tthe panel itself can run happily at 120 or 240 Hz, but that this circuit is willing to take only up to 60 Hz input. What is interesting, however, is the listing about 120 Hz + 120 Hz backlight - now does this mean that I can somehow bypass this MEMC circuit - also, as far as I'm aware the backlight is driven by DC sp I'm not sure which they mean by 120 Hz backlight. Would it perhaps mean that with particularly crafty back-light control I can strobe it at 120 Hz?

BTW I'm not breaking copyright as I typed it all in myself with my very own two fingers (I do have more of them I'm just not that good at typing, ok?)

Anyway - so anyone knows what exactly MEMC is? The Abusemark controller is supposedly programmable if you are into that kind of stuff so ... in theory someone should be able to write a pretty crafty custom firmware for it as the current version is supposed to be half assed (no back-light control from software, just panel starts at 50% intensity and you can toggle between 100% intensity, 50% and off)

Edit:
Quote:
There are currently 2 different ways of achieving 240Hz. One way is to simply expand on the MEMC principle and add even more “estimated” frames between the original frames.
- so as far as I understand at first glance it the MEMC is some-kind circuit that takes your input at some lower frequency and then does interpolated frames in between. Am I correct if anyone knows? If true then that would mean that hopefully there would be a possibility of somehow bypassing the embedded circuitry although I would not hold my hopes particularly high in that regard.

Edit2: On the other hand - bypassing the MEMC circuit might be as simple as just hitting the panel with a 120 Hz signal looking at the listed specs as its clear that the panel itself is supposed run physically either at 120 Hz (first two modes) or at 240 Hz (the third mode). When I get mine then will just have to figure out a good way to test at what frequency is it running - how exactly ... well that's a trickier question. I do not have that high speed camera to just flat out film it and see. But I do have a DSLR which can do reasonably short exposure times so hopefully something can be figured out by moving stuff on the screen around and then taking short exposure shots of it and counting the ghosting image trails. Problem is - I have no idea how to differentiate between interpolation and a "true 120 Hz".

Edit3: Interesting screen I noticed - LTL097QL01 - thats 2560x1700 12.85'' screen. Approx ~80$ / unit at first glance and this is supposedly IPS. Link to spec sheet: https://www.revo-sys.com/prodimages/LCD-Display-Panel/LG-12.9-LP129QE1-SPA1-LVDS-2560-1600-400-NITS.pdf - also eDP but with 40 pin connector instead of the 51 pin one like the IPAD 3/4. That looks even better than the IPAD one if only there is convenient enough way to drive one and the price premium is not that huge.
post #130 of 476 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 10:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Duniek hopefully we aren't going too far off topic here, if so let me/us know lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniflex View Post

About that IPAD3 / 4 screen and its overclocking ability. The spec sheet I found in the net can be seen at - http://www.panelook.com/LTL097QL01-W01_SAMSUNG_9.7_LCM_overview_17823.html

Now on that page it lists Frequency: 60 Hz with a little green question mark next to it - you can hover your mouse over it and there is some additional stats (and disclaimer about Panelook copyright so I will not post a screenshot of that in here in case its against the forum rules - so go hover the mouse over it to see it) which read as:
120 Hz (60HZ Input): Embedded MEMC Circuit
120Hz + 120 Hz : 120 Hz Panel + 120 Hz Backlight
240 Hz (60HZ InputI): Embedded MEMC Circuit

So the question is what do you make out of it. Is HZ something else than Hertz (usually Hz) or is it just typo? Then there is reference to the Embedded MEMC Circuit which - as I'm not familiar with these things at all reads that tthe panel itself can run happily at 120 or 240 Hz, but that this circuit is willing to take only up to 60 Hz input. What is interesting, however, is the listing about 120 Hz + 120 Hz backlight - now does this mean that I can somehow bypass this MEMC circuit - also, as far as I'm aware the backlight is driven by DC sp I'm not sure which they mean by 120 Hz backlight. Would it perhaps mean that with particularly crafty back-light control I can strobe it at 120 Hz?

BTW I'm not breaking copyright as I typed it all in myself with my very own two fingers (I do have more of them I'm just not that good at typing, ok?)

Now that is extremely interesting. If it really can do 120Hz that would be sick as an accessory/old game display. It looks like maybe it can interpolate, so not sure on that. Some 17.3" 1080p screens also say that, very cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniflex View Post

Anyway - so anyone knows what exactly MEMC is? The Abusemark controller is supposedly programmable if you are into that kind of stuff so ... in theory someone should be able to write a pretty crafty custom firmware for it as the current version is supposed to be half assed (no back-light control from software, just panel starts at 50% intensity and you can toggle between 100% intensity, 50% and off)

Edit:
- so as far as I understand at first glance it the MEMC is some-kind circuit that takes your input at some lower frequency and then does interpolated frames in between. Am I correct if anyone knows? If true then that would mean that hopefully there would be a possibility of somehow bypassing the embedded circuitry although I would not hold my hopes particularly high in that regard.

Edit2: On the other hand - bypassing the MEMC circuit might be as simple as just hitting the panel with a 120 Hz signal looking at the listed specs as its clear that the panel itself is supposed run physically either at 120 Hz (first two modes) or at 240 Hz (the third mode). When I get mine then will just have to figure out a good way to test at what frequency is it running - how exactly ... well that's a trickier question. I do not have that high speed camera to just flat out film it and see. But I do have a DSLR which can do reasonably short exposure times so hopefully something can be figured out by moving stuff on the screen around and then taking short exposure shots of it and counting the ghosting image trails. Problem is - I have no idea how to differentiate between interpolation and a "true 120 Hz".

Edit3: Interesting screen I noticed - LTL097QL01 - thats 2560x1700 12.85'' screen. Approx ~80$ / unit at first glance and this is supposedly IPS. Link to spec sheet: https://www.revo-sys.com/prodimages/LCD-Display-Panel/LG-12.9-LP129QE1-SPA1-LVDS-2560-1600-400-NITS.pdf - also eDP but with 40 pin connector instead of the 51 pin one like the IPAD 3/4. That looks even better than the IPAD one if only there is convenient enough way to drive one and the price premium is not that huge.

Not sure on how to do that bypass or anything, but you may be right about just hitting it with 120Hz signals. Hmm. Not sure how to test it though.

Also extremely interesting, any idea on a controller for that screen? Never seen 1700p like that before, pretty cool really. At $80 that ain't too bad at all, probably more worth it than the MBP screens. The MBP screens are PLS panels though, not sure there's a difference in those and IPS.

2880x1800 - 5,184,000 pixels - $250 - 20,736 pixels per $
2560x1700 - 4,352,000 pixels - $80 - 54,400 pixels per $

Not bad really. Got a link to that screen?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in