Asus PA279Q: 2560x1440 Wide Gamut Semi-Glossy GB-LED Back-Lit IPS - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus PA279Q: 2560x1440 Wide Gamut Semi-Glossy GB-LED Back-Lit IPS

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 308

This is not a gaming monitor.

The first rule of Wide Gamut displays is:

1.) If you do not know what the purpose of a wide gamut display is you should not be buying one.

The PA279Q is meant to be used for for work (photo editing, graphic design, print) in color managed programs such as Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom which can properly display the Adobe RGB Color Space. Games are not color managed which makes wide gamut monitors pointless since they will make the colors look over-saturated and inaccurate. All consumer media is designed for the sRGB color space.

Cheap wide gamut displays (sub 1000$) sRGB modes can never match a true sRGB display and typically have locked color settings. Only high end NEC/Eizo models have proper sRGB color space emulation.

The PA279Q lacks Asus's overdrive control (Trace Free) which is scary since the Dell U2713H (same panel) also does and has obvious ghosting issues. The Asus will likely also have very high input lag like the other GB-LED back-lit models (Dell U2713H & LG 27EA83D).

PC Monitors Annoucement Article
Guru 3D Announcement Article

+Height Adjustable, Swivel-able, Portrait Capable Stand
+2560x1440 Resolution
+GB-LED Back-Lighting
+100% sRGB Color Space Coverage
+99% Adobe RGB Color Space Coverage
+103% NTSC coverage (by CIE 1931 test standards)
+LG's new Semi-Glossy Coating (hopefully it will not have cross-hatching issues)
+6-Axis Color Control
+Plenty of Inputs
+Uniformity Compensation

Basically this is just Asus's version of the U2713H.

Google (insert monitor) review before making a thread about it. Research (Google) before buying a monitor and then asking if it is good.

10 Bit Monitors: 99% are 8 bit+FRC and AMD Quadro or Nvidia Firepro gpu's are required to send+receive a true 10 bit signal. 10 bit consumer content (games, movies TV) does not exist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenacingTuba View Post

This is not a gaming monitor.

I'm a little confused as to what makes this NOT a gaming monitor? I was just days from purchasing the PB278Q until I heard this announced last night. I think I am just going to wait for this puppy as my new gaming monitor.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15
This monitor has some incredible specs, from a different article I read. Especially, I like how they are actually doing factory calibrations set at <2 De. Which is a huge difference from the avg of <5 previous models which is horrible for a graphics user. The only issue I really see is Asus charging a ludicrous amount for it. The description with the ambient light with it, makes it seem like they want to compete with enzo,NEC style products. Even though it does claim 6 ms gtg this monitor is more than likely going to be priced way way outside of the average wqhd monitor and more like professional graphics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15
Ambient light reflector I mean, at least they listened to customers and put both usb3 and the card hubs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsurprise View Post

I'm a little confused as to what makes this NOT a gaming monitor? I was just days from purchasing the PB278Q until I heard this announced last night. I think I am just going to wait for this puppy as my new gaming monitor.

The first rule of Wide Gamut displays is:

1.) If you do not know what the purpose of a wide gamut display is you should not be buying one.

The PA279Q is meant to be used for for work (photo editing, graphic design, print) in color managed programs such as Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom which can properly display the Adobe RGB Color Space. Games are not color managed which makes wide gamut monitors pointless since they will make the colors look over-saturated and inaccurate. All consumer media is designed for the sRGB color space.

Cheap wide gamut displays (sub 1000$) sRGB modes can never match a true sRGB display and typically have locked color settings. Only high end NEC/Eizo models have proper sRGB color space emulation.

The PA279Q lacks Asus's overdrive control (Trace Free) which is scary since the Dell U2713H (same panel) also does and has obvious ghosting issues. The Asus will likely also have very high input lag like the other GB-LED back-lit models (Dell U2713H & LG 27EA83D).

The ViewSonic VP2770 is the best 1440p monitor for gaming, buy it instead.

Google (insert monitor) review before making a thread about it. Research (Google) before buying a monitor and then asking if it is good.

10 Bit Monitors: 99% are 8 bit+FRC and AMD Quadro or Nvidia Firepro gpu's are required to send+receive a true 10 bit signal. 10 bit consumer content (games, movies TV) does not exist.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 76
Quote:

The ViewSonic VP2770 is the best 1440p monitor for gaming, buy it instead.

Sorry, that just ain't true, boss.

Qnix QX 2710 > ViewSonic VP2770
1440p @ 120Hz > 1440p @ 60Hz
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmib View Post

Qnix QX 2710>ViewSonic VP2770

From what I've seen, myself included, most only achieve 96hz without artifacts. The Qnix's can have image retention issues when overclocked

The ViewSonic has considerably less ghosting than the Qnix (owned both), a real warranty+can be exchanged or returned easily, guaranteed color performance, color controls and an HDMI input for those who play console games as well. Not every PC game will accept >60hz

The Qnix is great for those on a budget and those willing to take the risk for the extra hz.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 06:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 660
Remnib - I appreciate that you have had a great experience with the Qnix, and I am truly happy that youaare so pleased with your unit (that'stthe goal foreeveryone who is here, or should be), but I would ask that you please not state that it is better than anything else, especially if you have not used the monitor in question. Saying "no its not" to a respected, senior member's advice is not a good way to start your membership to this community. I have used both the Viewsonic and the S27B950D from which the Qnix gets its panels, and I find them each to have their own merits and each does certain things better than the other. However, I feel that AH-IPS is at least equivalent to PLS, and the Viewsonic to possess the superior overall user experience.

I am not intending this to come off as harsh/mean/etc, I simply want you to have a good experience here. I am interested in your experiences with the different monitors you have used, I just feel that there is a better way to approach the topic...

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places"Ernest Hemingway
sniper.gifS.T.A.L.K.E.R FAN CLUB aaskull.gif

~*~ THE TAO OF BACKUP ~*~

PLEASE DOUBLE-CHECK ANY ANSWERS I MAY PROVIDE, AS I AM HUMAN AND QUITE FALLIBLE
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Rooted & Running JBSourcery FINAL & LeanKernel Experimental
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 06:57 PM
pC jUnKie

Rep: 243
Quote:

That's not cool...Well I'm glad my PA248Q has overdrive control (trace free) thumb.gif and it's been excellent for gaming wheee.gif
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 07:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42
Can't wait to see where this falls in the price point category. Tried my first Asus monitor the other day, VG278H, and I thought it was pretty good for the price. The ViewSonic VP2770 is on my short list to try out as well.

Cole me on the panny sty. -Pootie Tang

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in