True 120Hz from PC to TV -- LIST of TVs -- Successful overclocking of HDTV and plasmas!!! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

True 120Hz from PC to TV -- LIST of TVs -- Successful overclocking of HDTV and plasmas!!!

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 200 (Unique: 138)
Crossposted from 120hz.net and HardForum, out of popular demand, since this is OVERCLOCK.net

True 120Hz from PC to TV:
Make Your HDTV Accept Real 120Hz Refresh Rate

Just like overclocking a Catleap 2B, or the QNIX Q2710 Evolution 2, or the X270OC
...it is also possible to overclock some HDTV's to 120Hz from a computer too!
...Dozens of success reports are coming in, including:[/size]

Quote:
Successful: Vizio e3d420vx
Resolution: 1920×1080 at 120 Hz
Source: http://120hz.net/showthread.php?852-Managed-to-force-120Hz-on-a-Vizio-e3d420vx
Quote:
Success: Panasonic VT50 plasma
Caveat: More heat output
Source: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438092/list-of-hdtvs-with-120hz-native-refresh-ability-forcing-1080p-120hz-via-dvi-or-hdmi-from-computer#post_22576928
Quote:
Confirmed: Seiki 4K HDTV
The brand new SEIKI 50″ HDTV with 4K resolution supports 1080p @ 120Hz natively (Multitool confirmed).
seiki4k_720p@133Hz-300x224.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman5k 
Successful: Vizio M420SL not a 3d TV

Using a Asus 3D tv driver I was able to force a 120hz output with windows 7 and my Vizio M420SL system info screen displays 120hz vertical frequency as well as my Catalyst control center. This TV is not a 3D but does have a native LCD refresh rate of 120hz.

Thank you blurbusters for your very helpful information. It took all day to find the right question to ask the great google search engine but when I finally asked “force 120hz pc” I found this page and now I am in 120hz, 42 inch, goodness. Next trick is getting passive 3d working. Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadbuttrue 
Successful: Panasonic 50ST30 plasma
Resolution: 1280×720 @ 120hz.
Source: HardForum post (by sadbuttrue)

The OSD reports 60hz and 3D mode detected. Colours are slightly different but there is no 3D being applied. I have verified that it does show 120 unique frames. So, when you try outputting 120hz to your TV don’t assume the OSD is giving an accurate report. It may say 60hz yet actually be showing 120hz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 
Successful: Skyworth 39E780U UHD tv (china market model)
Resolution: 1080p @ 140Hz without frame skipping
Source: Overclock.net review by maarten12100

The overclock results:
UHD 3840×2160 was 30Hz max now 38Hz (up to 40Hz by reducing the extra pixels/blanking in the stream but with minor artifacting)
QFHD 2560×1440 was not there now 82Hz
HD 1920×1080 was 60Hz max now 140Hz (I checked with RRMT Refresh Rate Multi Tool and it actually did it without dropping)
QHD 1280×720 was 60Hz max now 254Hz (checked again with RRMT but it was too fast for my eyes then I took pictures and video)
(NOTE: Cost only $600 in China! Not available outside of China yet at this time.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbitybob 
Successful:
- Sony KDL-50R550A 50″
- Sony KDL-60R550A 60″
- Sony KDL-70R550A 70″
Resolution: 1080p @ 120Hz
Source: AVSFORUM post by bobbitybob

[email protected] confirmed working. Kinda funny, before on 1080 I didn't notice a difference figuring I'm just getting too old for this stuff, having never used a 120hz monitor before, but I knew instantly with the real 120hz that it's working. What a huge difference in smoothness and reduction in blur. Just nuts. Tested with RRM (Refresh Rate Multitool) as well to verify.”
(NOTE: 720p was good; 1080p was frameskipping, but may be DVI adaptor (limitation). Best to test using direct HDMI-to-HDMI connection from PC-to-TV, bypass receiver.)

HDTV Overclocking Instructions: Get 120Hz from a PC to a television

No fake frames. No interpolation junk. No Motionflow voodoo. True 120Hz!.
Try this with your existing HDTV, use it like a 120Hz computer monitor.
Post your success reports in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

*** NOTE ****

This is posted in the Displays forum, not the TV forum for a very good reason:

Usage of a TV as a true 120Hz computer monitor.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 80 (Unique: 64)
Useless. I would never want to overclock a TV because I don't game on a TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koehler View Post

Useless.
To you. thumb.gif
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 141 (Unique: 99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koehler View Post

Useless. I would never want to overclock a TV because I don't game on a TV.

This is awesome. I can think of many times i wish i could watch videos off my computer on a big screen with good motion soothing. Also if you run emulators and want to play multiplayer with great framerate this is ideal.

One thing i would really like to see is what the downsampling results come out to be after overclocking to 120hz. This is mainly due to the low pixel density of these screens. If you could get good amount of downsampling in addition to the 120hz we would really be talking in terms of quality.

At any rate a lot of techy people i know like to have a primary high density or refresh monitor with a TV connected on the side. We have very much explored OC and maximizing performance of monitors and it is very appropriate for us overclockers to explore TV displays. Not sure if it belongs here or in the TV section as it is a bit of a grey area. Bottom line is great info thumb.gif
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan F8 View Post

Also if you run emulators
Emulators won't be smoother at 120Hz LCD unless you use black frame insertion (e.g. MAME software black frame insertion for 120Hz monitors). That said, you'll have less input lag, since the 60fps frames are delivered quicker to the TV.

Everything else in your post is correct, though. For video smoothing, you need video interpolation software such as SmoothVideo, since you need 120 different frames per second. I'm not into that sort of thing, but it can be done.

Motion fluidity in PC games, is the big advantage for those people who want that, though!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 141 (Unique: 99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrejhon View Post

Emulators won't be smoother at 120Hz LCD unless you use black frame insertion (e.g. MAME software black frame insertion for 120Hz monitors). That said, you'll have less input lag, since the 60fps frames are delivered quicker to the TV.

Everything else in your post is correct, though. For video smoothing, you need video interpolation software such as SmoothVideo, since you need 120 different frames per second. I'm not into that sort of thing, but it can be done.

Motion fluidity in PC games, is the big advantage for those people who want that, though!

Maybe i am wrong but many of my emulators give the option to us the games stock framerate or go higher. When you do use a higher frames the game seems like it is playing in fast forward almost at first but after you get used to it the game is just much smoother. Not sure what it is doing here and if there is more frames or if there is some black frame like you said. It mayjust displaying the same frames more than once to compensate. Bottom line is that ever since i went 120hz the emulators have been much nicer in fast motion. That would likely be a topic for another thread smile.gif

I have used SVP and also with the new madvr it has a "smooth motion" option that basically does the same thing 120hz and 240hz TVs do with the extra frames. I have seen this option used on a fake 120hz TV and a true 120hz monitor and it makes a big difference in quality.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 64 (Unique: 58)
Interesting...if i can overclock my ST50 to 96hz that would be pretty sick for 2D movies (even tho the 3:2 pull down is fantastic on this TV). Only thing im afraid of is that it switches to 3D mode - in which case the ST50 colors are total garbage. Cool experiment ill try when i get home..will keep you guys posted.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan F8 View Post

Maybe i am wrong but many of my emulators give the option to us the games stock framerate or go higher. When you do use a higher frames the game seems like it is playing in fast forward almost at first but after you get used to it the game is just much smoother.
Yes, making the game run twice as fast, can make it smoother -- correct. That's one workaround to take advantage of 120Hz with a 60fps emulator. (Note: Frame repeats won't improve motion fluidity -- each frame need to be unique, it's better to repeat once -- that's why CRT [email protected] isn't as "clear motion" as CRT [email protected]). However, you're speeding up the emulator, so it's running a full 120 unique frames per second.
Quote:
I have used SVP and also with the new madvr it has a "smooth motion" option that basically does the same thing 120hz and 240hz TVs do with the extra frames. I have seen this option used on a fake 120hz TV and a true 120hz monitor and it makes a big difference in quality.
It can be interesting if you like the smooth motion effect in video, but it can also add input lag -- so it's not good for fast-twitch games. That's why it's so nice to be able to do direct 120Hz to the television, so that input lag stays low.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 64 (Unique: 58)
Smooth motion is frame interpolation which blends frames and gives that "soap opera" effect - which is pretty gross and hated by the AV community for the most part. I turn it off myself on my ST50, and calibration experts suggest to turn it off as well.

Might be different that madvr tho.

Anyways 120/96hz would eliminate frame judder from pulldown

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in