Bezel Painting Guide - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Bezel Painting Guide

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 76 (Unique: 63)
Bezel Painting Guide

(If you want to see another guide, a user named moxx painted his bezels with Plasti-Dip and it came out great, link to his guide here)

Unfortunately for people who are wanting to paint their glossy black bezels matte black, this guide will not contain a full picture set of how to do that as I did not do it myself - I painted the metal bezels of the LCD sub-panel - but I am relatively sure of how to go about turning glossy bezels to matte, which I will explain.

What do I need?:
- Rust-Oleum Professional High Performance Enamel Spray Paint - Flat Black (link)
- Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Multi-Purpose Spray Paint - Flat Black Primer (link) (my pic)
- 400 Grit (very fine) Sandpaper
- 2 small cardboard boxes to prop your bezel up off the ground (so you can easily paint the sides)
- Trim Tools (optional) (link) (my pic)

How do I remove my bezels?:
- I recommend using some 'trim tools' (linked above) to help you pry apart your monitor without scratching anything. They are quite durable as well.
- Google your specific monitor model + debezel guide. (Link to playlist of Qnix specific debezel)

Specific directions for Glossy Bezels:
1. Take the 400 grit sandpaper and rough up the glossy surface around the entire bezel. This is going to give the paint something to adhere to without marring the actual plastic and creating deep grooves.
2. Clean off all the debris created by using the sandpaper on glossy paint. Use a hose or something...
3. Dry it off, but make sure whatever you dry it with doesn't leave too many little fibers or whatever behind.

The remainder of the directions apply to both Glossy and Metal Bezels:
4. Take the Rust-Oleum Plastic Primer and shake it really well for about 30 seconds. Do a little test spray on some cardboard. Then apply the first and only coat. I did about 2 sprays back and forth on each bezel side to make sure I got a good, even coating. I held the spray can about 6-8 inches from the bezel. Tip: Start spraying before the spray nozzle is even in front of the bezel...this way you don't end up with too much paint on the corners from where you would've first started spraying. You'll see what I mean in the pics below, if that wasn't clear.
5. Wait 20-30 minutes for the Primer to dry. It dries pretty quickly.
6. Take the Rust-Oleum Enamel Spray Paint and shake it for 30 seconds, then test it. Apply your first coat. Use the same spray method as above.
7. Wait 15-20 minutes for the first Enamel coat to dry.
8. Apply the second Enamel Spray Paint coat.
9. Wait 20-30 minutes for the second Enamel coat to dry.
10. Come back and inspect your work. Is the paint too thick in a certain area and have little 'pock' marks because the paint dried funny there? If so, take your 400 grit sandpaper and gently sand that small area. Use your finger to brush away the dust created from using the sandpaper. Do one more coat of paint just on the edge of the bezel that you sanded.
11. Wait 24-48 hours for the paint to fully dry/set.

Good job, you now have sexy matte bezels. thumb.gif

Here are some pictures:

Spray paint set up:

Finished product:

Real life:

Hope that helps, if I was unclear on something or you have a question about something, feel free to ask...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 308 (Unique: 224)
Amazing guide

The Qnix's glossy bezel makes the blacks look less deep vs. being paired with a matte bezel.

Google (insert monitor) review before making a thread about it. Research (Google) before buying a monitor and then asking if it is good.

10 Bit Monitors: 99% are 8 bit+FRC and AMD Quadro or Nvidia Firepro gpu's are required to send+receive a true 10 bit signal. 10 bit consumer content (games, movies TV) does not exist.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
THANKS, so much.

definitely inspired to do similar. unfortunately the Rust-Oleum paint is unavailable locally at home depot/rona, and amazon.com doesnt ship to canada. I will have to find something similar.

any guide coming on mounting the box to the panel, like the epoxy you used or anything else special you did. Even more pics of the back would be great to see how you mounted it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceD View Post

THANKS, so much.

definitely inspired to do similar. unfortunately the Rust-Oleum paint is unavailable locally at home depot/rona, and amazon.com doesnt ship to canada. I will have to find something similar.

any guide coming on mounting the box to the panel, like the epoxy you used or anything else special you did. Even more pics of the back would be great to see how you mounted it all.

Perhaps look for a brand called Krylon?

Yes, the guide for 'mounting the PCB box to the panel' is coming tonight...hopefully I can think of a better title for the guide than that tongue.gif.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceD View Post

THANKS, so much.

I'm doing a de-bezel of the QNIX monitor atm. So maybe I can offer some insight

1. I used some spare compressed wood from a broken shelf and cut it to the appropriate size to hold the black box where the DVI-D cable is attached.
2. I dry fitted and positioned it to ensure that all the cables would connect with the black box on top and importantly the wooden panel was flush against the back of the panel.
3. Once that was done I used some scotbrite to scour the area where the wooden piece would be glued. After that I used some methylated spirit to clean the area to ensure it was free of contaminants.
4. I mounted the bottom of the wooden panel with some strong double sided tape and applied two part epoxy adhesive.
5. I flipped the wooden panel over and set it in place.
6. After it had dried for an hour I then further re-enforced it with some more tape.
7. I'm leaving it overnight to cure at room temp, but at the moment it's on very securely and I can lift the monitor by lifting the wood from it's sides.

That's where I'm up to at the moment.

Tape: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0024NKDFI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
( I chose this as it's holds- up to 1kg per 10cm tape and was the strongest I could find)

Epoxy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/UniBond-Repair-Power-Epoxy-Purpose/dp/B000Y8OMW0/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1372196284&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=unibond+repair+epox
(I was in a rush and this was what my local diy shop had. On the back of the card it reads Heat resistant up to 150 degrees C and strength 160kg/cm2.)

There are probably better ones out there but that was what was available to me at the time.

I will screw the black box onto the wooden panel using screws which should be enough to mount the VESA stand securely. Once finished I'll let you know how it went and whether the mounts hold up to a couple of hours intensive gaming or if anything went wrong.

I also ordered some parts so I can have backlight illumination during gaming and watching movies.

HTH

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 04:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
My goodness. That's like the best backlight illumination I've ever seen. Simply puts those backlit philips monitors to shame.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by kossair View Post

My goodness. That's like the best backlight illumination I've ever seen. Simply puts those backlit philips monitors to shame.

Wow, that is indeed pretty freaking awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majnu View Post

I also ordered some parts so I can have backlight illumination during gaming and watching movies.

Total cost of the parts for doing that? Is this all that is needed? http://www.adafruit.com/products/461

edit...Ah, looks like an Arduino is needed as well, so the total cost is ~$80. A bit more than I want to spend on that.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmib View Post

Wow, that is indeed pretty freaking awesome.
Total cost of the parts for doing that? Is this all that is needed? http://www.adafruit.com/products/461

edit...Ah, looks like an Arduino is needed as well, so the total cost is ~$80. A bit more than I want to spend on that.

Ebay is your friend.

Lights £15.99 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181152332025?var=480242304088&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Arduino £11.99 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181154351018?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Power Jacks £2.39 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350733455812?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648&clk_rvr_id=494538954976&afsrc=1
PSU - £11 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140695757307?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649&clk_rvr_id=494544622954&afsrc=1

Total £42.36 $65

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 03:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Seems to be holding alright and very stable. It's 21 degrees in my room and I just had an hour session on Pay Day and it's not fallen of lol

I just need to tidy the wires a bit as I'm doing to install those LED's at a later date so need to ensure there is enough mounting room around the sides.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 04:06 AM
WHAT UP SOYBOIS

Rep: 71 (Unique: 62)
Remmib, great guide but i have a question. do you drive a bmw?

Pur Sang | Pur Esprit | Pur Cupio | Pur Laptop
Pur Sang
(25 items)
Pur Esprit
(11 items)
Macbook Pro 13"
(23 items)
CPU
Core i5-6600k
Motherboard
Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
HD Graphics 530
RAM
XPG Z1 2x8GB 2800MHz
Hard Drive
OCZ RD400 128GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Hard Drive
BarraCuda 2TB
Optical Drive
Samsung External
Power Supply
SuperNOVA 750G3
Cooling
Corsair H60 (2018)
Cooling
NZXT Grid
Cooling
Noctua NF-F12PWM Chromax
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolve ITX
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
Asus PA248Q
Monitor
HP VH240a
Monitor
Vivo Dual Monitor Mount
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL78 & Granite Keyset
Keyboard
Logitech K400r
Mouse
Logitech MX Master
Mouse
Corsair Harpoon RGB
Mousepad
KupX Extended Edition
Audio
V-Moda Crossfade LP Phantom Chrome
Audio
Cyber Acoustics 2.1
Other
RGB Lighting
CPU
Pentium G4560
Motherboard
MSI H110i Pro
GPU
HD Graphics 510
RAM
Patriot Elite 1x4GB 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Silicon Power S55 60GB
Power Supply
EVGA 450BT
Cooling
Intel Stock Cooler
Case
SilverStone SG13B
Monitor
Samsung 42" 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400r
Other
TP-Link TL-WN881ND
CPU
Core i5-5257U
Motherboard
Logic Board
GPU
Iris Graphics 6100
RAM
8GB
Hard Drive
128GB
Hard Drive
My Passport 1TB
Hard Drive
easyStore 4TB
Power Supply
Magsafe 2 60W
Case
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Operating System
macOS High Sierra
Monitor
Retina Display 13"
Keyboard
Backlit Keyboard
Mouse
Force Touch Trackpad
Audio
Anker SoundBuds Slim
Audio
JBL Flip 3
Audio
Bose QuietComfort QC25
Audio
Status Audio CB-1
Other
Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter
Other
Apple Mini Displayport to VGA Adapter
Other
Griffin Mini Displayport to HDMI/DVI Adapter
Other
Society6 "Fallen Angel" Skin
Other
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978
Other
TP-Link Archer C50
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in