Overclock.net banner

Dell P2414H: AH-IPS - PWM free - light AG coating - 1080p

86K views 133 replies 45 participants last post by  Zomby Woof 
#1 ·

Dell P2414H
Product page

Specification and Features
"Widescreen Full HD display with vivid clarity and a number of comfort and connectivity features that help speed production."

Reviews

TFT central - "The Dell P2414H was a positive upgrade to the P series of screens. The move to the very popular IPS panel technology is a great move by Dell, and it can now offer some excellent all-round performance as a result. The technology brings wider viewing angles and more stable colours compared with alternative TN Film panels which have been used before. Readers will also be pleased that the move to IPS has not cut any corners, and the AG coating is nice and light and not overly grainy like older generations. The use of a flicker free backlight is also a positive result which we're sure will attract potential buyers. Dell have also avoided cutting corners with the stand and connectivity on the most part, with a wide range of easy to use ergonomics available. The only things we would have liked to see included were an HDMI port and maybe USB 3.0 really."

PCMONITORS - "The Dell P2414H puts LG's latest 23.8" AH-IPS panel to excellent use. The P2414H does not use PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to moderate backlight brightness and instead uses DC (Direct Current) modulation. The monitor is therefore considered to have a 'flicker free' backlight, which will be welcome news for some individuals who suffer visual discomfort from monitors using PWM-regulated backlights. The colour performance was also pleasing with pretty good results straight from the box. Following a few minor tweaks in the OSD you were greeted with a rich and varied image that makes for very enjoyable gaming and general computing. Given the excellent all-round performance and appealing price this is certainly a model we recommend considering."

Gallery

ISO 800 exposure -2

Overclock guide to 80Hz

Use displayport connection.
In windows 8.1:
Press Win + R and type: CustomModeApp
Set accordingly:
Horizontal Active: 1920
Horizontal Front Porch: 30
Horizontal Sync Width: 40
Horizontal Back Porch: 45
Horizontal Total: 2035
Horizontal Sync: +

Vertical Active: 1080
Vertical Front Porch: 3
Vertical Sync Width: 4
Vertical Back Porch: 5
Vertical Total: 1092
Vertical Sync: +

80Hz no frame skipping

Color profile setup, brightness and contrast
I have set brightness to 34 and contrast to 65 (60 for low light conditions, 65 for normal 75 for very bright conditions)
Color format 'RGB'
Preset mode to 'Custom preset' with
Red: 93
Green: 96
Blue: 99

More to add soon.

Feel free to ask about this monitor, write your comments and your guides!

See less See more
#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowyn View Post

Interesting. I guess I'll be trying out that overclock on mine.
Lets us know with your findings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idi0t View Post

if you have an amd card, they must use http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU the same settings and place indicated here, then reboot
If you can please be more descriptive, post a screenshot will help other amd owners i guess
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

Nice! Rep+

How's gaming on it ? Any noticeable lag ?

It has officially 8ms response time, but it should do well as the display lag is actually quite good, at 5.5ms according to TFT Central's review.
Thanks
smile.gif

I have not noticed any lag and i do play multiplayer fps games. I am really surprised by the fact of how relaxed my eyes are when reading large texts comparing to my previous dell ips monitor. I strongly suggest it especially to its price range is a winner.

#7 ·
Hello, I was suggested this monitor by another OCN member to replace my Asus VE228 monitor. I have a dual monitor setup with another 19inch dell sitting right next to it. I noticed that the Dell is much more pleasurable to look at than the Asus. I have the whole story here http://www.overclock.net/t/1452178/what-should-i-do-about-eye-strain-issues just in caseyou want some back details.

I was wondering how comfortable is this monitor at its native resolution for reading long amounts of time? Also compared to a flicker monitor, is it noticeably comfortable? I fear spending 260+ dollars on this monitor won't yield me any upgrades except a smaller wallet.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk7794 View Post

Hello, I was suggested this monitor by another OCN member to replace my Asus VE228 monitor. I have a dual monitor setup with another 19inch dell sitting right next to it. I noticed that the Dell is much more pleasurable to look at than the Asus. I have the whole story here http://www.overclock.net/t/1452178/what-should-i-do-about-eye-strain-issues just in caseyou want some back details.

I was wondering how comfortable is this monitor at its native resolution for reading long amounts of time? Also compared to a flicker monitor, is it noticeably comfortable? I fear spending 260+ dollars on this monitor won't yield me any upgrades except a smaller wallet.
I had eye strain, dizziness in a huge degree since i read a lot everyday, large texts, graphs new and old type pdfs. The oculist found none physical problem and after a long talk he claimed that fatigue from monitor reading is the cause.
I took this monitor cause i read that pwm free monitors are more comfortable on reading. I must admit that this is so true. I catch my self reading text from 20cm from the screen and i wonder why my eyes don't complain...I owned another dell ips monitor before this, so this big difference cant be from something else. By the time you connect the monitor and read a text you feel the difference.
Don't get me wrong, for sure others monitors will offer same or even better reading experience, but on that price range my experience only can say that this monitor is read comfortable. Of course i do continue small time breaks for eye relaxing and still use eye drops with uv filter.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodystyle2003 View Post

I had eye strain, dizziness in a huge degree since i read a lot everyday, large texts, graphs new and old type pdfs. The oculist found none physical problem and after a long talk he claimed that fatigue from monitor reading is the cause.
I took this monitor cause i read that pwm free monitors are more comfortable on reading. I must admit that this is so true. I catch my self reading text from 20cm from the screen and i wonder why my eyes don't complain...I owned another dell ips monitor before this, so this big difference cant be from something else. By the time you connect the monitor and read a text you feel the difference.
Don't get me wrong, for sure others monitors will offer same or even better reading experience, but on that price range my experience only can say that this monitor is read comfortable. Of course i do continue small time breaks for eye relaxing and still use eye drops with uv filter.
That is very good to know. I do a lot of close up stuff at work and then I used to come home and read online for about another 6 or so hours after that. I now have this problem where I can't really focus too long with my contacts. I then started to notice that my Dell monitor is much more soothing to look at than this, even when I matched the cool color that the Dell puts out. I can find it online for about 225 now, you thinking that it is worth it?

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk7794 View Post

That is very good to know. I do a lot of close up stuff at work and then I used to come home and read online for about another 6 or so hours after that. I now have this problem where I can't really focus too long with my contacts. I then started to notice that my Dell monitor is much more soothing to look at than this, even when I matched the cool color that the Dell puts out. I can find it online for about 225 now, you thinking that it is worth it?
Dell offers now, was supposed to be in market Q1/2014, the U2414H which from specs is using same panel + more ports for only +20$. Read my following lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post

So how is this different from the U2414H? And has anyone noticed any cross-hatching due to the AG?/
U2414H looks to share same panel + hdmi, audio out port, USB3.0 for only +20$. I would go to that but not available to my country, neither a review available to confirm its similarities.
Haven't noticed cross-hatcing lines.

#12 ·
I have one of these. I'm currently running a laptop and am not getting higher refresh rates without skipping. Weird.

I used HDMI output -> DVI monitor input and similar settings as on the OP but 72 Hz so it should readily fit in the bandwidth available. These are the settings that have worked on a couple other monitors.

As for me, I don't see cross-hatching. I'm not so sure I'd go so far as to call the matte coating "light." It's more like medium, definitely lower than the heavy AG on most eIPS models, stuff like U2410, etc. My particular sample has some backlight bleeding on the lower-left corner but nothing too bad. I've seen much, much worse before. There is some minor visible deviance from panel uniformity that I can spot, but it's nothing I'm worried about for what I do. I don't notice any display latency, and the panel responsiveness is fine. It's definitely a bit blurry on fast panning, but it's not bad. And there's no horrific reverse ghosting.

If you're picky in any particular area, there are things not to like, but I'd rate it overall very highly for an all-around monitor.

U2414H has thinner bezels, which is the main selling point, I would think. They also claim lower deltaE I think.

I don't have a calibrator, and I'm not terribly concerned by color accuracy, but my settings are
Brightness: 2 (at night, single ~600 lumens bulb in room with some light deflected and none of it shining directly on the screen itself)
Contrast: 75
R: 98
G: 98
B: 100

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnoffel View Post

The AG coating is not light, it's still pretty grainy.
That being said, aside from the coating this looks like an awesome monitor aside from the fact that it is a Dell.
It gives superior clarity to the surface used on the U2412M and other older IPS models (I had one next to the P2414H whilst reviewing). 'Light' is a relative term - lighter than some, but the haze value is probably around 25% (vs. closer to 30% for the U2412M) so it can still give a bit of grain.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomster View Post

With those settings I can only achieve a 72Hz overclock
frown.gif

Relevant Info: GTX 770, Windows 7, Using your values with CRU.

Can anyone help me get 80Hz or did I just get a weaker panel?
Not with CRU, go to nvidia panel and create a custom resolution and manually put these settings. Its a long shot but you can try. 72Hz probably anyone with this monitor can achieve, since is listed on supported video modes.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodystyle2003 View Post

Not with CRU, go to nvidia panel and create a custom resolution and manually put these settings. Its a long shot but you can try. 72Hz probably anyone with this monitor can achieve, since is listed on supported video modes.
Still no joy with these settings:

Should I uninstall CRU?

Should I install this patch?

Do I need a Dual Link DVI?

*EDIT*

Managed to achieve a 74Hz overclock. It seems as if anything over a Pixel Clock of 165MHz fails (74Hz is 164MHz pixel clock)

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomster View Post

Could you explain the process you followed to achieve 75Hz? Also, are you using a Dual Link DVI-D cable?
Just created custom profile in Nvidia Control Panel. I'm using bundled DisplayPort cable.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowyn View Post

I'm running my at 75 Hz, seems to be stable. Haven't tried anything higher.
Thanks for replying mate. Think I'll try the DP cable tonight - if that doesn't work I've got a DVI-D cable on the way.

I want 80Hz!!

*EDIT*

GET IN
smile.gif

DisplayPort did the trick
smile.gif

Perhaps you should update the overclock guide to explain you need to use the DisplayPort cable or DVI-D, and that it won't work with Single-Link DVI.

So pleased with this monitor.

Next step - Has anyone taken this monitor past 80Hz?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.