[Various] ASUS debuts ROG SWIFT PG279Q 144hz IPS and G-SYNC - Page 964 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Various] ASUS debuts ROG SWIFT PG279Q 144hz IPS and G-SYNC

post #9631 of 9639 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 04:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 44 (Unique: 40)
sdmf74

Quote: Originally Posted by DeeX View Post
The PG279QZ is an Amazon exclusive.
It is the same panel.
It does have a slight redesign. The height adjustment is a bit taller and the bezel is ever so slightly larger, assuming an attempt to reduce bleed as most bleed is caused by pressure of the mounting.
Also the packaging has been changed to not have any graphics on the box, no drivers CD, and no foil marketing sticker on the monitor. These were done to lower the production cost. (i.e. it costs less as well)
This model should have a less chance of bleed because of the bezel change but still would have the same amount of chance for dead pixels, uniformity/brightness variances because its the same panel.
A friend of mine that owns a shop purchased 6 PG279Q(s) and 6 PG279QZ(s) from Amazon warehouse deals,
He did this to test somethings that Rtings tested. He concluded the reason that Rtings tested a brightness variance was because panels in general come in with different max white point brightness.
This is not exclusive to these monitors but also others he had tested. Many of the PG279Q (not Z model) tested a max whitepoint brightness of well over the rated 350 nits but a few also tested much lower at around 330 nits.
Across all the PG279Q and the PG279QZ samples the brightness varied and does not seem to be constrained to the older models or the Z model.

TL : DR
The PG279QZ has the same panel and the same PCB / firmware of the PG279QZ. (Chances of dead pixels & response time remains the same)
The PG279QZ has the same characteristics (brightness etc) as the PG279Q because its the same panel.
The PG279QZ has a slightly larger bezel. (assuming this helps bleed as it reduces pressure on the edges)
The PG279QZ is only available from Amazon.com
Didnt know it was the same panel. Probably all the reject panels that didnt make the cut for the pg279q, hence the lower price & brightness & quality & more bleed etc. despite taking preventative measures against it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 9639 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
My panel has been perfect; no backlight bleed, but after about 2.5 years, I notice this 'bright spot' https://i.imgur.com/0pV6P3a.jpg

It does not really bother me that much and unnoticable in games. More worried if this spot can grow over time

Should I still RMA ? It is still under warranty, but I am not sure if I want to go through the lottery again, as the replacement panel might be worse.

post #9633 of 9639 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

My A in the Asus nameplate has fallen off the front of my monitor but no white spots.. yet anyway.
I would not take the risk, I think you and I were of the few lucky ones to get a decent panel. Asus should be ashamed of themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9634 of 9639 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:36 PM
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱

Rep: 158 (Unique: 123)
Does anyone get vertical tearing on the middle of the screen? Have to power off and on to fix it.

Usually happens if I alt tab a fullscreen game that's not running g-sync.

Using the stock asus dp cable.

nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴ
█▀█ █▄█ ▀█▀ ▀█▀

Last edited by TK421; 03-19-2019 at 10:40 PM.
post #9635 of 9639 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:34 PM
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱

Quote: Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
Does anyone get vertical tearing on the middle of the screen? Have to power off and on to fix it.

Usually happens if I alt tab a fullscreen game that's not running g-sync.

Using the stock asus dp cable.

bump on this question.

nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴ
█▀█ █▄█ ▀█▀ ▀█▀

post #9636 of 9639 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 342 (Unique: 278)
Quote: Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
bump on this question.
This is a fairly well-documented issue that I know at minimum affects the PG279Q, PG279QZ, and the Acer XB271HU. From what I recall, there's some trouble with the GSync module that firmware updates were not really able to fully cure.

If you look at the right or left edge of the screen, you'll find your missing pixels when this happens. You can see them displaced to the right edge on the image I've attached.

Alt-Tabbing or power cycling the monitor will likely get you back to normal. Some claim running in 165Hz helps this problem but doing so comes with its own caveats.

You can find out more by doing a Google search for "<model> vertical line issue".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Line Shift.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	262718  

post #9637 of 9639 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Caveats? My monitor has Never been on anything other than 165hz. What are these caveats you speak of
post #9638 of 9639 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:26 PM
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱

Quote: Originally Posted by MNiceGuy View Post
This is a fairly well-documented issue that I know at minimum affects the PG279Q, PG279QZ, and the Acer XB271HU. From what I recall, there's some trouble with the GSync module that firmware updates were not really able to fully cure.

If you look at the right or left edge of the screen, you'll find your missing pixels when this happens. You can see them displaced to the right edge on the image I've attached.

Alt-Tabbing or power cycling the monitor will likely get you back to normal. Some claim running in 165Hz helps this problem but doing so comes with its own caveats.

You can find out more by doing a Google search for "<model> vertical line issue".

Is there a firmware update I can try? I cannot find it on ASUS website.

It's not a serious issue but if I can fix the vertical tearing that would be great.

Quote: Originally Posted by sdmf74 View Post
Caveats? My monitor has Never been on anything other than 165hz. What are these caveats you speak of

TFTcentral says 165hz overclocking (PG279Q) will add input lag.

█▀█ █▄█ ▀█▀ ▀█▀

post #9639 of 9639 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi guys. Just got my pg279q back from RMA and I am having trouble putting the stand and base back together. Basically when I screw them together, the stand no longer rotates on the base. Anyone got any idea how I can assemble this thing? Here's a link to the exact problem I'm having that someone else posted but did not have a solution: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...tor-standbase/

Last edited by fern99; 06-18-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in