Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread

post #11 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:36 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Rep: 129 (Unique: 101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

Yup. They always say "vote with your wallet" and that's what I'm doing. I'll never pay this much for an IPS monitor ever again either.
Yeah the "IPS master race" thing going on today is annoying. It's less common here on OCN since users here are generally a bit more knowledgeable than average or at least willing to pick up knowledge. I have no experience with the TN panel used in this Dell monitor, but based on comparisons from CallsignVega and s1rrah, IPS is barely any better. I think both IPS and TN are crap for entertainment purposes due to the similarly poor contrast and blacks. The exception being competitive gaming of course, where the responsiveness/extremely low lag of TN and high refresh rate AHVA monitors comes in handy. But at these prices, these 27" 1440p 144 Hz VRR monitors should be using really nice SPVA panels with at least 3000:1 static contrast, and perhaps with full-array LED backlighting. But we really need OLED to come in and wash away all this LCD crap.
I think Did you mean AMVA? AHVA is an IPS type panel with the same contrast pixel response and glow limitations.

IPS was great with the TW polarizers they used to have. It reduces or removed almost all glow from the screen. Contrast was still no great, but it was more than acceptable.

VA panels still need to get faster to compete on a larger scale(and this is still the panel type I am hoping will show the most improvement and become more standard). Faster panels without requiring overdrive would be that much better. Even the fastest TN panels have to use overdrive to get this speed and that creates artifacts.

Gaming
(15 items)
Media Center
(17 items)
CPU
2600K @ 4.4
Motherboard
Maximus IV Gene-z
GPU
Asus Dual 1070 OC with Artic Mono Plus
RAM
G.SKILL F3-1866C9D-16GXM Ripjaws X 16GB
Hard Drive
M4 256
Hard Drive
MX 300
Optical Drive
Liteon Slot load
Power Supply
Corsair 850HX
Cooling
H80i
Case
Silverstone FT03
Operating System
Windows 7 HP 64 bit
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Keyboard
Logitech G810 Orion
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
X-fi Titanium Fatality
CPU
i5 750
Motherboard
h55n usb3
GPU
msi gtx 650 ti
RAM
Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
Hard Drive
WDC Red 3tb
Hard Drive
M4 128
Hard Drive
WDC scorpio Blue 2.5
Optical Drive
Sony AD-7690H-01
Power Supply
FSP SFX 300 watt
Cooling
Geminii S
Case
SG05
Operating System
Windows 7 HP 64 bit
Monitor
SyncMaster 245t
Keyboard
Logitech Wave
Mouse
Logitech G9
Audio
Sound Blaster Omni
Other
HD PVR
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 674 (Unique: 476)
BTW not being released today. Spoke to Dell they have no confirmed ETA for it.

Home PC
(13 items)
CPU
Intel G3440
Motherboard
Asus B85M-E/CSM
GPU
EVGA GTX 950
RAM
Patriot Viper 3 - 2x8GB 1600hz
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850 - 500GB + 4TB x2 / 3TB x 2 - WD
Optical Drive
LG CH12LS28 Bluray
Power Supply
Corsair CX430 V2
Cooling
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 w/Corsair SP120 Fan
Case
NMEDIAPC HTPC 6000B w/ Pro LCD Module
Operating System
Windows 10 64 Bit
Monitor
Samsung 75" TV....
Keyboard
GooBang Doo MX3
Mouse
GooBang Doo MX3
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 10:13 AM
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer

Rep: 841 (Unique: 542)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukemaster View Post

I think Did you mean AMVA? AHVA is an IPS type panel with the same contrast pixel response and glow limitations.

IPS was great with the TW polarizers they used to have. It reduces or removed almost all glow from the screen. Contrast was still no great, but it was more than acceptable.

VA panels still need to get faster to compete on a larger scale(and this is still the panel type I am hoping will show the most improvement and become more standard). Faster panels without requiring overdrive would be that much better. Even the fastest TN panels have to use overdrive to get this speed and that creates artifacts.

No I meant AHVA (PG279Q, MG279Q, XB270HU specifically) since these monitors are great for competitive fast/twitch gaming. Although as far as AMVA goes, I look forward to TFTCentral's review of the BenQ XR3501.

I'd much rather have OLED improve and wipe LCD off the face of the planet entirely. LCD is inherently limited and flawed in comparison.

Discussion on the Oversimplification and Removal of Content in Modern Games
How To: Improve Image Quality in Pre-DX10 Games With NVIDIA Inspector
Planescape: Torment - Enhanced Edition Discussion | [Official] SOMA - Information and Discussion | Deus Ex GMDX Discussion | Day of Infamy Information/Discussion
Neverwinter Nights 2: Complete | Planescape: Torment | Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines | Arcanum | KOTOR series | Dragon Age: Origins | Fallout series | Deus Ex (GMDX) | Anachronox | SOMA | Penumbra | Amnesia | Underhell | Cryostasis | Anna: Extended Edition | Dishonored series | Thief/Thief 2 | S.T.A.L.K.E.R. | Metro series | Rainbow Six 3: Gold | SWAT 4 | Half-Life 2 Cinematic Mod | Garry's Mod | F.E.A.R. | Dark Messiah | Crysis/Crysis Wars | Natural Selection 2 | Unreal Tournament 2004 | Arma 3 | The Talos Principle | MYST | Total War: WARHAMMER series | XCOM 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 11:32 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Rep: 129 (Unique: 101)
Quote:

No I meant AHVA (PG279Q, MG279Q, XB270HU specifically) since these monitors are great for competitive fast/twitch gaming. Although as far as AMVA goes, I look forward to TFTCentral's review of the BenQ XR3501.

I'd much rather have OLED improve and wipe LCD off the face of the planet entirely. LCD is inherently limited and flawed in comparison.
At least you still have backlight strobe in the mean time. It greatly improves motion on LCD panels that support it.

OLED or similar will be great for sure(love the viewing angles on those things and the black levels that are actually black).

Gaming
(15 items)
Media Center
(17 items)
CPU
2600K @ 4.4
Motherboard
Maximus IV Gene-z
GPU
Asus Dual 1070 OC with Artic Mono Plus
RAM
G.SKILL F3-1866C9D-16GXM Ripjaws X 16GB
Hard Drive
M4 256
Hard Drive
MX 300
Optical Drive
Liteon Slot load
Power Supply
Corsair 850HX
Cooling
H80i
Case
Silverstone FT03
Operating System
Windows 7 HP 64 bit
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Keyboard
Logitech G810 Orion
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
X-fi Titanium Fatality
CPU
i5 750
Motherboard
h55n usb3
GPU
msi gtx 650 ti
RAM
Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
Hard Drive
WDC Red 3tb
Hard Drive
M4 128
Hard Drive
WDC scorpio Blue 2.5
Optical Drive
Sony AD-7690H-01
Power Supply
FSP SFX 300 watt
Cooling
Geminii S
Case
SG05
Operating System
Windows 7 HP 64 bit
Monitor
SyncMaster 245t
Keyboard
Logitech Wave
Mouse
Logitech G9
Audio
Sound Blaster Omni
Other
HD PVR
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:29 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 453 (Unique: 358)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukemaster View Post

Unfortunately, true picture quality isn't everything for manufacturers. Heck, LCDs wiped out plasmas and other promising technologies like Canon's SED, and Sony's FED and Direct LED displays just because the LCD industry is so well established.

I hope OLEDs come soon, but I have a feeling we'll be stuck with LCDs for awhile.

Sent from my Sig Rig
post #16 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Been lurking here at Overclock for awhile, mostly in the PG279Q thread, but I ultimately decided to go with the TN Dell panel since I mostly play FPS titles and already have a second ultrawide IPS monitor for real work.

It's interesting that Dell CS said it wasn't available yet, since I just received my S2716DG via FedEx this morning (in the US)! Ordered it last Friday via this page: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=210-AGJR , and it delivered today.

I am hoping that this will be a higher-quality PG278Q without all the scary QC issues. 3-year advanced exchange warranty is also a nice addition, along with the HDMI port.

I'll post some pictures once I'm back home, and hopefully positive impressions. This is my first high-refresh rate monitor, too, so if there's something you guys would like me to try testing out, just let me know.
post #17 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Great! looking forward to it.
post #18 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 674 (Unique: 476)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsoup View Post

Been lurking here at Overclock for awhile, mostly in the PG279Q thread, but I ultimately decided to go with the TN Dell panel since I mostly play FPS titles and already have a second ultrawide IPS monitor for real work.

It's interesting that Dell CS said it wasn't available yet, since I just received my S2716DG via FedEx this morning (in the US)! Ordered it last Friday via this page: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=210-AGJR , and it delivered today.

I am hoping that this will be a higher-quality PG278Q without all the scary QC issues. 3-year advanced exchange warranty is also a nice addition, along with the HDMI port.

I'll post some pictures once I'm back home, and hopefully positive impressions. This is my first high-refresh rate monitor, too, so if there's something you guys would like me to try testing out, just let me know.

That is good news. Mind you I called Dell Canada. They may be somewhat behind on it. I noticed on the link you provided the ship date is listed as November 10th. They might want to update that.

Home PC
(13 items)
CPU
Intel G3440
Motherboard
Asus B85M-E/CSM
GPU
EVGA GTX 950
RAM
Patriot Viper 3 - 2x8GB 1600hz
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850 - 500GB + 4TB x2 / 3TB x 2 - WD
Optical Drive
LG CH12LS28 Bluray
Power Supply
Corsair CX430 V2
Cooling
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 w/Corsair SP120 Fan
Case
NMEDIAPC HTPC 6000B w/ Pro LCD Module
Operating System
Windows 10 64 Bit
Monitor
Samsung 75" TV....
Keyboard
GooBang Doo MX3
Mouse
GooBang Doo MX3
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robilar View Post

That is good news. Mind you I called Dell Canada. They may be somewhat behind on it. I noticed on the link you provided the ship date is listed as November 10th. They might want to update that.

Ah that's true, Dell Canada and US could be different. I also noticed today that it's now available for preorder in the US through Newegg, with an estimated release of 10/27. Could be a better option for many if they qualify for no tax in their state.
post #20 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 19)
I Wouldave added this to my compare list for what I'll upgrade too next month, but the lack of ULMB has me passing, unless they just arent announcing it.
I'm sure it will be a good monitor, and I may end up hating ulmb, but I at least wanna have it to try it out ya know frown.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in