Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread

post #21 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedM00N View Post

I Wouldave added this to my compare list for what I'll upgrade too next month, but the lack of ULMB has me passing, unless they just arent announcing it.
I'm sure it will be a good monitor, and I may end up hating ulmb, but I at least wanna have it to try it out ya know frown.gif

Funny you mention that; I've been reading through the manual before heading home, and it does have ULMB support for 85, 100, and 120 Hz. This is with G-SYNC disabled, according to the manual.

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_Display/dell-s2716dg-monitor_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsoup View Post

Funny you mention that; I've been reading through the manual before heading home, and it does have ULMB support for 85, 100, and 120 Hz. This is with G-SYNC disabled, according to the manual.

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_Display/dell-s2716dg-monitor_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

+rep for that. Dunno why I didn't bother to look in the manual.
Wonder why they don't say it supports ULMB on the product page or in the announcements.

post #23 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 06:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

So, I finally got a chance to unpack and try out the monitor, and things are looking promising so far. The box arrived in great shape, and I like the understated, professional look of the monitor a lot. You wouldn't be able to tell that it's a gaming monitor, except for the (removable) NVIDIA G-Sync sticker on the monitor stand's base.

Also, most importantly, there are no dead or stuck pixels on my screen. Panel uniformity seems decent for a TN, but there is the obvious TN gradient where the top and bottom have differing brightness. This is not really noticeable in-game, however. I've attached some images of the panel for gray/red/blue/green/black backgrounds so you can judge yourselves.

The AG coating is on the aggressive side, and I would say it's on-par with my LG 34UM95. On solid whties, you get a little of the AG sparkle. Here's a panel reflection shot to get an idea of the AG strength.

As far as using the monitor, G-Sync works great in 144 Hz. There was no problem connecting it and getting it up and running with my 980 Ti. I also tried out ULMB in 120 Hz (G-Sync disabled), and it also works fine, although it of course dims the screen significantly. It allows you to vary the pulse width of the ULMB mode as well, but I kept it at the default setting of 100.

There does seem to be a slight difference between 144 Hz G-Sync and 120 Hz ULMB modes, which is most visible to me when I move the Windows cursor against a dark background. In-game (CSGO), I can't really tell if there's much benefit, but I honestly haven't used either mode long enough to say for sure. Any difference in smoothness between 120 and 144 Hz isn't immediately noticeable to me.

The HDMI port also works perfectly, so anyone holding out on the PG278Q for an HDMI port will be happy. It recognizes my PS4 without any issues.

Overall, the monitor seems to be working really well thus far, and hopefully it's a sign that the QC problems with the PG278Q are not going to resurface with Dell.

The only issue I've encountered is not even with the monitor, but the 980 Ti, which seems to run at high clock speeds when the refresh rate is set to 144 Hz, even on the Windows desktop. When I reduce the refresh rate to 120 Hz, it goes back down to normal, idle clocks. For now, I've just left it at 120 Hz to avoid chewing up energy in desktop mode and boost it to 144 Hz before I'm about to game. If anyone has a solution to this, I'd love to hear it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 674 (Unique: 476)
Thanks for the review. Looks very promising. Looks like Dell has released a solid competitor to the swift.

Home PC
(13 items)
CPU
Intel G3440
Motherboard
Asus B85M-E/CSM
GPU
EVGA GTX 950
RAM
Patriot Viper 3 - 2x8GB 1600hz
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850 - 500GB + 4TB x2 / 3TB x 2 - WD
Optical Drive
LG CH12LS28 Bluray
Power Supply
Corsair CX430 V2
Cooling
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 w/Corsair SP120 Fan
Case
NMEDIAPC HTPC 6000B w/ Pro LCD Module
Operating System
Windows 10 64 Bit
Monitor
Samsung 75" TV....
Keyboard
GooBang Doo MX3
Mouse
GooBang Doo MX3
▲ hide details ▲
post #25 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 07:55 PM
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer

Rep: 841 (Unique: 542)
Hmm... based on your pictures I think I'm glad I went with IPS instead, to avoid that gradient. Sucks that if you want 2560 x 1440 with variable refresh rate, you have to choose between TN gradient and IPS glow.

Discussion on the Oversimplification and Removal of Content in Modern Games
How To: Improve Image Quality in Pre-DX10 Games With NVIDIA Inspector
Planescape: Torment - Enhanced Edition Discussion | [Official] SOMA - Information and Discussion | Deus Ex GMDX Discussion | Day of Infamy Information/Discussion
Neverwinter Nights 2: Complete | Planescape: Torment | Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines | Arcanum | KOTOR series | Dragon Age: Origins | Fallout series | Deus Ex (GMDX) | Anachronox | SOMA | Penumbra | Amnesia | Underhell | Cryostasis | Anna: Extended Edition | Dishonored series | Thief/Thief 2 | S.T.A.L.K.E.R. | Metro series | Rainbow Six 3: Gold | SWAT 4 | Half-Life 2 Cinematic Mod | Garry's Mod | F.E.A.R. | Dark Messiah | Crysis/Crysis Wars | Natural Selection 2 | Unreal Tournament 2004 | Arma 3 | The Talos Principle | MYST | Total War: WARHAMMER series | XCOM 2
post #26 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 08:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

Hmm... based on your pictures I think I'm glad I went with IPS instead, to avoid that gradient. Sucks that if you want 2560 x 1440 with variable refresh rate, you have to choose between TN gradient and IPS glow.

Yeah, I can't go back to using TN for general desktop work after using VA and IPS for so many years. When gaming, I'm lucky that I'm not sensitive to the gradient at all, so this monitor pairs very nicely for me with an IPS for desktop work. I would say that if you can only have one monitor for everything, TN is a tough choice to live with, and it could be worth trying the IPS lottery with ASUS and Acer given the equivalent pricing.

Edit: Actually, something interesting is the pricing for the Dell in the UK is only 600 GBP, which is the same as the TN PG278Q there. That seems more reasonable compared to the US pricing of $800 for the Dell and $670 for the PG278Q.
post #27 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:35 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Rep: 129 (Unique: 101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsoup View Post

Yeah, I can't go back to using TN for general desktop work after using VA and IPS for so many years. When gaming, I'm lucky that I'm not sensitive to the gradient at all, so this monitor pairs very nicely for me with an IPS for desktop work. I would say that if you can only have one monitor for everything, TN is a tough choice to live with, and it could be worth trying the IPS lottery with ASUS and Acer given the equivalent pricing.

Edit: Actually, something interesting is the pricing for the Dell in the UK is only 600 GBP, which is the same as the TN PG278Q there. That seems more reasonable compared to the US pricing of $800 for the Dell and $670 for the PG278Q.
The transition from VA back to TN was quite jarring for sure. I think your brain just starts to adjust. I still have those times that I look at it and say damn you look darker on top and it sucks. On the other hand, I look at my VA and say damn you are slow.

I sure hope some faster VA panels that do not get fast with excessive overdrive come out soon. I was shocked that on some color transitions a BL3200PT was slower than a 245T from Samsung(just because of how old it is). Even the lightening of color while in motion(scrolling text or moving winamp over) was kind of distracting at times(the 245 rarely had that[so lets say skyrim look better on it than the 3200PT], but it still had its fair share of overdrive artifacts).

On the IPS side. it is very hard to get used to the glow(and how noticeable it is on dark images or games). Why did they ever get rid of that TW polarizer on these things. Ohh right price(and profit margin). I would gladly pay an extra 50-100 just for less glow.

Gaming
(15 items)
Media Center
(17 items)
CPU
2600K @ 4.4
Motherboard
Maximus IV Gene-z
GPU
Asus Dual 1070 OC with Artic Mono Plus
RAM
G.SKILL F3-1866C9D-16GXM Ripjaws X 16GB
Hard Drive
M4 256
Hard Drive
MX 300
Optical Drive
Liteon Slot load
Power Supply
Corsair 850HX
Cooling
H80i
Case
Silverstone FT03
Operating System
Windows 7 HP 64 bit
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Keyboard
Logitech G810 Orion
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
X-fi Titanium Fatality
CPU
i5 750
Motherboard
h55n usb3
GPU
msi gtx 650 ti
RAM
Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
Hard Drive
WDC Red 3tb
Hard Drive
M4 128
Hard Drive
WDC scorpio Blue 2.5
Optical Drive
Sony AD-7690H-01
Power Supply
FSP SFX 300 watt
Cooling
Geminii S
Case
SG05
Operating System
Windows 7 HP 64 bit
Monitor
SyncMaster 245t
Keyboard
Logitech Wave
Mouse
Logitech G9
Audio
Sound Blaster Omni
Other
HD PVR
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 10:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 107 (Unique: 83)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukemaster View Post

The transition from VA back to TN was quite jarring for sure. I think your brain just starts to adjust. I still have those times that I look at it and say damn you look darker on top and it sucks. On the other hand, I look at my VA and say damn you are slow.

I just had a stint with a VA for the first time. Blacks were awesome, but as you said its so slow, especially when im used to 144hz 1ms TN. I couldn't in no way get used to it, the smearing of darker shades was so painful to look at. I'm sure if i had the 120hz Eizo VA i would be able to use that comfortably enough, but its pricey, and isn't the greatest when it comes to getting a good sample or a bad one.

Really wish they had a 1440p 144hz VA out, even if it only has 2000:1 contrast, i'll have no problem with it.

post #29 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 11:37 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 453 (Unique: 358)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukemaster View Post

I just had a stint with a VA for the first time. Blacks were awesome, but as you said its so slow, especially when im used to 144hz 1ms TN. I couldn't in no way get used to it, the smearing of darker shades was so painful to look at. I'm sure if i had the 120hz Eizo VA i would be able to use that comfortably enough, but its pricey, and isn't the greatest when it comes to getting a good sample or a bad one.

Really wish they had a 1440p 144hz VA out, even if it only has 2000:1 contrast, i'll have no problem with it.

Ya, my dream (LCD) monitor is a 1440p 96hz+ VA monitor with an RGB backlight and Eizo's backlight strobing + overdrive tech... for $400 biggrin.gif

Sent from my Sig Rig
post #30 of 5737 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 04:50 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Thanks a lot for the info and pics abcsoup, looks great. This monitor is definitely at the top of the list for my PC upgrade next year, won't be touching the IPS screens with all the issues they've been having. Hopefully your sample is a good indication of Dell's quality control on these. Will be nice to have a good responsive screen again for gaming, i'm still using a 2707WFP but haven't been gaming as much as I would have liked the last few years so it has been fine for desktop use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in