Monitor firmware flashing/cross flashing/upgrading thread - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Monitor firmware flashing/cross flashing/upgrading thread

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 365 (Unique: 260)
Time for me to start the ball rolling here.
As I'm sure you know, monitors have hardware chips that are flashable just like traditional motherboard Bioses are, and many manufacturers release firmware updates but don't make them available to the public, as there is no easy way to communicate with the monitor's programmable ports through windows.

Several devices can flash the firmware of monitors, if it can identify the flash chip.
The one Benq's engineers use internally is this:

http://www.cart100.com/Product/5278188206/LCD_driver_development_tools___LCD_drive
The ISP software is on the blur busters site.
http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/diy-firmware-upgrade-for-benq-z-series/

I bought this unit last week and had some fun with it.
There may be newer versions for newer flash chips, but I can't find an English version. They will probably be in Chinese.
If there is a newer version of the Mstar software than the one on the blur busters' site, you will probably have to beg Mstar politely for it.
http://www.mstarsemi.com/
(I'll send them an email and see what they say. Just sent an email).

***Someone needs to test if the Realtek chip in the Benq XL2730Z can be identified by the Mstar unit. If it can, it can be flashed also.***

I actually bought one last week and managed to intentionally brick and recover an Asus VG248QE by backing up its firmware then flashing an XL2420Z firmware into it. (the EDID/DVI information got turned into the Benq ID/default refresh rates as the Asus for some reason does not have the EDID information in its firmware while the Benq monitors do, not a problem since the panels are the exact same, and a registered version of powerstrip can flash the EDID directly (this is unsupported, you have to request a key from entechtaiwan).

Here's another ISP USB flasher with more updated software.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-EPROM-FLASH-VGA-Serial-ISP-Programmer-LCD-RTD2120-24-25-93-RTD-NT-MT-/181137476538
http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/mini-lcd-usb-programmer-rt809f-serial-isp/235706887.html

I was able to get a 05/28 2015 version of their software from http://www.ifix.net.cn/thread-325-1-1.html
but their page is lagging right now. Unfortunately (and logically) it cant communicate with the Mstar ISP utility.
The exact file name (currently) of an English version is
RT809F_SETUP_ENG_20150528.rar
(I installed and tested this until I found it can't work with the Mstar unit).

Note: Ubuntu has limited ability to flash and upgrade and backup firmware as well, but the firmware flash chip has to be known to flashrom.

So here's what you can do and what we need.

If manufacturers released firmware upgrades of existing monitors, someone with an existing unit can back up their firmware and upload it, then others with older firmware can buy the flash tool and upgrade their monitors without having to RMA or send them back to the manufacturer. (worth it to save time, shipping and effort).

This may also help people with freesync and gsync firmware updates that are available and flashed silently into newer monitors.
I do NOT know anything about gsync or if gsync modules can be upgraded in this manner!

Crossflashing one firmware into another model with the same specs but slightly different features may also be an option, as long as the scaler chip and flash chip and physical panel AND internal wiring/PCB are exactly the same, then you can simply upgrade. You may have EDID issues with the DVI port (displayport doesn't have this problem) if the firmware does not have EDID information. Someone successfully flashed an XL2411T into an XL2411Z after flashing the XL2411Z EDID, but blur reduction did not work (the strobe signal wire did not work).

I successfully crossflashed a XL2420Z V4 firmware into an XL2720Z, although it wasn't in a usable state. OSD worked, front panel buttons worked, VGA port "worked", image (Eye care logo) and VGA output displayed images but were corrupted, stretched and had scanlines. Panel differences between the 27" and 24" 1080p AU panels made this unusable, but the electronics and I/O are otherwise the exact same. Flashed back successfully to XL2720Z V5 and recalled all in the factory menu (service menu #2). Before using recall all, old settings were still there but somehow corrupted; the VGA port was in black and white with the "Smart focus" setting somehow enabled and zoomed at bottom right instead of center. Recall all set everything to default and up and running smile.gif

XL2420Z to XL2430T crossflash needs to be tested by someone.
XL2411Z to XL2420Z will *NOT* work--PCB and ports and button I/o are different.
XL2420TE to XL2420Z may work, with DVI EDID update, but blur reduction will not work (strobe signal wires missing; green wire not sending the strobe signal--this may work with a hardware mod or changing the LED driver ciruit).
XL2411T (pwm free version) to XL2411Z (with dvi edid update) works but blur reduction will not work (strobe signal green wire not sending the strobe signal).

We need people with Benq XL2730Z's to dump the V2 firmware for others to flash if they don't want to send their units in.
An XL2430T firmware update was also available but no one has dumped it yet.

I've started by attaching the most recent firmwares for the XL2411Z, XL2420Z and XL2720Z with checksums. If the checksum matches in the Mstar ISP utility under "Read", then you know it's correct.
BenqXL_Zseriesfirmware.zip 1000k .zip file

As always, THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I take NO responsibility if your house blows up if you flash a firmware.

*IF YOU HAVE AN ISP UNIT that can identify and read the flash chip and AND CAN BACK UP YOUR MONITOR FIRMWARE successfully, please upload them smile.gif

*Currently need :
XL2430T firmware (updates have been done by Benq to fix the black equalizer flickering issue).
XL2730Z (v2 firmware for those with V1 screens).

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 07:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thanks!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 17)
Hi Falkentyne,

Was wondering if anyway to flash upgrade the firmware of an Acer XB271HU including the Gsync module? Not that I'm going to do it as after bricking my XL2411Z not going to take that kind of risk unless sure thing..

Thanks

PS: Luckily brick was recovered using an Nvidia GT730 graphic card.

Gigabyte Auros Master Z390 - 9900K @ 5.0ghz (3.22v)
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 2 x 8GB 3200mhz XMP
EVGA 1080 FTW2 in SLI - Corsair H1200i PSU
Heatkiller IV Cpu Block - 240 + 360 Rads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 365 (Unique: 260)
Quote: Originally Posted by davidm71 View Post
Hi Falkentyne,

Was wondering if anyway to flash upgrade the firmware of an Acer XB271HU including the Gsync module? Not that I'm going to do it as after bricking my XL2411Z not going to take that kind of risk unless sure thing..

Thanks

PS: Luckily brick was recovered using an Nvidia GT730 graphic card.
I have no idea. I started this thread several years ago thinking people would be wanting to upgrade their firmwares with fixes that companies only released in "upgraded versions" you had to buy new models for. But seems like no one was interested in this.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 03:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 17)
Risky business

I'm interested but most I would assume not want to take the risk of bricking their expensive hardware like me or you..

Gigabyte Auros Master Z390 - 9900K @ 5.0ghz (3.22v)
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 2 x 8GB 3200mhz XMP
EVGA 1080 FTW2 in SLI - Corsair H1200i PSU
Heatkiller IV Cpu Block - 240 + 360 Rads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in