Acer XB271HU- share your experience and show pics! - Page 792 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Acer XB271HU- share your experience and show pics!

post #7911 of 8211 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:43 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygib View Post

According to the lagom test the PG278Q is perfect. So is my SP4. I tried to test my wife's Macbook Pro but I don't know how to get her OS to 1:1 pixel mapping. I tested my Plasma TV and it failed miserably at every sharpness setting but I don't think the test applies to plasma TV. That thing has a very sharp 1080p image. Anyways, I think lowering sharpening after 100hz has something to do with the Nvidia GSYNC board. It handles the scaling as well. Maybe they're not all tuned properly. Looking more closely, the other (yellow/arctic blue) monitor fails the test as well at 144Hz but the dark rectangles/squares aren't as dark. I suppose I could get used to it, reading text is fine but everything is just a bit softer and games not as sharp as they should be, kinda a like there's a very slight AA on everything. My biggest issue is that it makes the image have less pop than it should. I've seen some reviews saying the XB271 isn't as clear as the PG279Q but no one made a direct reference to it being due to an incorrect sharpness setting in hardware.

Weird that increasing Hz lowers sharpness though. Really don't know why the monitor didn't ship with a sharpness control. This is my forth one and the only one that doesn't have major uniformity issues, of all the things to be wrong it's sharpness? Really? that's the one thing that has nothing to do with manufacturing quality.

Post pictures probably at best a bit out of focus of the lagom sharpness test, would like to see how your lower sharpness looks compared to my photos. Is it quite the same or yours has strong dark rectangles?
XF270HUA is FreeSync, they do not come with sharpness either, only a super sharpness post processing filter ON/OFF which doesn't work as a direct flat pixel sharpness adjustment but it has some algorithm that chooses what to sharpen and how much. It adds black outline to color text on gray background for example yet lagom sharpness image is untouched or almost untouched, as far as I can tell it is some "smart" sharpness, it has an algorithm that chooses what and how much to sharpen, for older people I can see this being useful when they want things to pop out and look sharp, photos... it butchers them with adding dark outlines everywhere it can, it's all it does, add dark outline to edges it detects, it's some edge detection algorithm.

I can't see a big difference compared to mobile phone. They both seem to have more or less neutral sharpness.

At first the XF270HUA looked nice and sharp to me, especially compared to the messed up Samsung VA split pixel structure but even compared to older TN I suppose which is my replacement hold over monitor.

Connected back my replacement to check for ya, but dunno what it has as sharpness, let's see.

You're right the XF270HUA is also blurred, damn it, the replacement TN with sharpness that I use set to 3 has perfect neutral sharpness but because of it's low contrast it's not that good perceived sharpness wise, otherwise the pixels on it are neutral.
No idea why Acer messes with the sharpness on a freakin' digital signal, both on XF270HUA and even the Gsync module infested XB variants?...

El cheapo TN with gamma going from bright 1.9 to dark 2.0:

XF270HUA with gamma 2.1:

So yes Acer does something to the sharpness it seems frown.gif If I have to guess from looking closely at black text on grey background and the lagom fine lines test picture I would say XF270HUA is a little bit blurred.

El cheapo TN 1:0 XF270HUA, cheapo TN is neutral sharpness it seems, XF270HUA is blurry by a tiny bit.

It's not something I would return the monitor for but one can see it after a while of using it or having a similar contrast neutral sharpness monitor to compare with side by side. One kind of wonders are my eyes messing with me or is it tiny bit blurry as it is hard to see the blur, it's there but it's "minimal".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7912 of 8211 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

Post pictures probably at best a bit out of focus of the lagom sharpness test, would like to see how your lower sharpness looks compared to my photos. Is it quite the same or yours has strong dark rectangles?
XF270HUA is FreeSync, they do not come with sharpness either, only a super sharpness post processing filter ON/OFF which doesn't work as a direct flat pixel sharpness adjustment but it has some algorithm that chooses what to sharpen and how much. It adds black outline to color text on gray background for example yet lagom sharpness image is untouched or almost untouched, as far as I can tell it is some "smart" sharpness, it has an algorithm that chooses what and how much to sharpen, for older people I can see this being useful when they want things to pop out and look sharp, photos... it butchers them with adding dark outlines everywhere it can, it's all it does, add dark outline to edges it detects, it's some edge detection algorithm.

I can't see a big difference compared to mobile phone. They both seem to have more or less neutral sharpness.

At first the XF270HUA looked nice and sharp to me, especially compared to the messed up Samsung VA split pixel structure but even compared to older TN I suppose which is my replacement hold over monitor.

Connected back my replacement to check for ya, but dunno what it has as sharpness, let's see.

You're right the XF270HUA is also blurred, damn it, the replacement TN with sharpness that I use set to 3 has perfect neutral sharpness but because of it's low contrast it's not that good perceived sharpness wise, otherwise the pixels on it are neutral.
No idea why Acer messes with the sharpness on a freakin' digital signal, both on XF270HUA and even the Gsync module infested XB variants?...

XF270HUA with gamma 2.1:

So yes Acer does something to the sharpness it seems frown.gif If I have to guess from looking closely at black text on grey background and the lagom fine lines test picture I would say XF270HUA is a little bit blurred.

El cheapo TN 1:0 XF270HUA, cheapo TN is neutral sharpness it seems, XF270HUA is blurry by a tiny bit.

It's not something I would return the monitor for but one can see it after a while of using it or having a similar contrast neutral sharpness monitor to compare with side by side. One kind of wonders are my eyes messing with me or is it tiny bit blurry as it is hard to see the blur, it's there but it's "minimal".

Ok so here are the two XB271HU monitors both at 144Hz, I'd say when squinting the lighter one is even a bit lighter. Again, I could't tell at first by squinting my eyes, only after repeated comparisons did I notice. The bottom pic pretty much looks exactly how it looks in real life. Too lazy to set up the PG278Q but it doesn't degrade sharpness at all when increasing Hz levels and looks perfectly even to me.

Also, turns out my one without uniformity issues has what appears to be an eyelash stuck between the AG coating and the glass panel. ***. I'd just abandon this monitor but I got it with store credit and the Best Buys in Canada don't carry any other IPS 144Hz 1400p GSYNC monitors.

post #7913 of 8211 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 02:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

XF270HUA with gamma 2.1:

Ok here are the picks of the two both at 144Hz:

Sadly, the one with good uniformity has what appears to be an eyelash stuck between the AG coating and the glass panel. ***.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7914 of 8211 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 03:06 PM
Overclocker

The first seems same as my 3 XF270HUA samples in terms of sharpness. The second seems to be more neutral, it's still a little blurry and not perfect but it's better.
I think Astreon has a good one too and also with something like an "eyelash" stuck in it. Some bright thin thing stuck between the layers that reflects light on some angles but otherwise not bothering if I remember right.
I do not believe a single picture perfect AUO panel even exists, if they did a proper QC they wouldn't be able to sell even 1% of them. Some people go through as many as 10 samples and still don't get a good one. I would too but I can't buy it anymore because the only shop I could buy from stopped selling them, no idea if for now temporarily or in 2018 the model was discontinued. People have reported it elsewhere also so I doubt it's because they are looking into their batch from Acer as they got too many returns for their liking.
post #7915 of 8211 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 03:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Yeah sold out at every Best Buy around me, in the province actually. Not sure if they're discontinued or not. Maybe it means something new is coming out that wasn't announced at CES or maybe Best Buy got tired of all the exchanges.

post #7916 of 8211 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
All of the AUO M270 panel monitors go in and out of stock all the time and the price varies greatly as a result. Well except PG279Q. That never seems to go out of stock and never seems to get a price reduction. It has sat at £692.00 on amazon for over 6 months. XB271HU was out of stock for 1 week in January from amazon.co.uk so the price jumped from £579.99 to £692.00, which is the cheapest third party retailer. Back in stock again today on amazon for £584.00.

Viewsonic XG2703 is out of stock (for the 2nd time in 3 months). On Black Friday it was £589.99. Then it jumped to £672.00 from amazon when it came back in stock. Now its out of stock again and £788.96 from the cheapest third party retailer.

Gibbo over at ocuk says the up to 25% price hike since Black Friday is due to the all the returns. Gibbo is a salesman so take that with a pinch of salt but it sounds feisible. I returned mine and can't muster the effort to go round 3.

I'm thinking of just getting monitor speaker stands, getting my speakers off my desk and then waiting for lg 32GK850G. Its VA, its too big, the pixel pitch doesn't do anything for me but I'm tired of panel lottery. International shipping costs for return are crazy and most of the cost is not refundable.
post #7917 of 8211 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 01:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Best Buy in Canada doesn't even sell the PG279Q, nor the Viewsoinc 2703. The AOC is sold through a subsidiary company that charges a 10% restocking fee for exchanges so that's out of the question given that all these AUO panels are a lottery regardless of the brand, at least in terms of stuck/dead pixels and uniformity. The exchanges I've done so far would have cost me $270.

I can take back the one with the eyelash back (still blows my mind that there's an eyelash or piece of hair stuck in my monitor, never seen that before) and get the store credit and cross my fingers that they come back in stock. But I'll be without a monitor until it does, and there's no guarantee that it will be. Games are my entertainment of choice so it would be very taxing, in a 1st world problems sort of way. TV/movies bore me after at most two hours. Also, seems like Best Buy is moving towards selling any IPS Gsync 1440p 144Hz monitors through Best Buy For Business which has a much worse return policy and is online only. I think I have to take it back though, not spending $1024 (after Canada's 13% sales tax) and dealing with hair in my screen. Would have preferred to worse uniformity as at least I didn't see it in games. This hair looks like a curved line of dead/dim pixels. Funny, the moment I told myself the sharpness was ok and that I could live with it, I saw it. Literally it happened concurrently as I said to myself, "Ok, I'm happy with this one". It's incredibly frustrating but at this point kinda comical how f'd up it is.

Would love if the LG was sold in Canada but it's not and there's no indication that it will be anytime soon or at all even. Although, every VA I've seen in person had weird purple trails that look pretty terrible if you're coming from 144Hz IPS or TN, but maybe they've fixed that now. This IPS lotto is too real for me to handle and it's hard going back to TN. My PG278Q didn't have any QC problems and shipped with gamma at 2.17 out of the box according to displaycal so I got lucky, but I tried it the other day and it just looks worse in so many games. Fine for games like PUBG, OW, CSGO, etc (maybe even better) because they're relatively bright and not graphically complex but playing SP, which tend to have a good mix of dark scenes, contrast, lighting effects, etc. looks so much worse. Colors are definitely good enough but at the same cd/m black levels are twice as high as the 271 which has major impact on the richness of the image. Then there's that weird mix of black crush and banding in dark scenes that makes things look 6bit. Lol woe is me due to a freaking monitor. Doesn't help that any TV released in the past 2 years blows all these monitor PQ out of the water for half of the cost. I think TVs are hitting 4000-5000 contrast ratio's now.

I'd even be fine paying an extra $100 for a grade A panel just to put an end to this monitor hunt. I suspect these companies know that so many are substandard but just calculated that it's more profitable to put them all out on the market based on the minority of people with discerning eyes and high standards. They can scrap all the bad ones in the factory or take a certain percentage of returns. Guess the math works out better for the latter. Wish there was some way to request a review model.

post #7918 of 8211 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 06:56 AM
Overclocker

I get my XF270HUA from amazon.de, the only place I know covers return costs. Locally I can't even buy the XF270HUA, there are two shops that sell the older HU version and very expensive, no stock and they are some small unknown shops I wouldn't buy from anyway and they might even have a return address abroad. Locally when an RMA is accepted they should pay the return costs but an exchange within 14 days of purchase does that count as RMA or not, etc. local shops IMHO so much do not want to pay anything, they never advertise in their terms and conditions that they should cover the return costs for defective products in accepted RMAs, one has to know and pressure them, as a result most people have a car or live nearby a store so they return it relatively cheap in person but I can't as I live where no computer shop has any brick stores so I gotta send stuff back = 7EUR locally and a lot more internationally to amazon but they cover it usually no problem (depends who reads the message, had to resend it once).

Amazon.de definitely took the XF270HUA down with start of 2018 and they still don't sell even the XB271HU, it's all just more expensive 3rd party sellers with their own terms of sale and probably not covering return costs and none even fulfilled by amazon. PG279Q right now is gone from Amazon.de as well, only XG2703 is available.
Locally sure the Asus, Viewsonic, etc. are available for varying high price where as the XF270HUA with freesync costs waaay less when it is available from Amazon or even just any usually German seller.

In the end Acer, Asus, Viewsonic etc. should eat the return costs of bad products but that is IMHO already in the insane prices of most Gsync variants especially. These price hikes are simply due to distributors not having enough stock and trying to cover the processing expense of all the returns, it's not like they eat the cost of the product, they don't, they send it back to manufacturer but the time/man power to handle all the crates and shipping does cost something. Still it's unlikely they make sharp pricing changes because of that. Sharp changes are often simply lack of stock/supply.

Gibbo says a lot of things and not all are true, IMHO #1 they are after sales and trying to justify what they do with their stock and prices. I can't even shop from other Amazon other than .de, they often don't ship. UK... I would rather not buy anything from UK again since they are leaving or left EU and the whole mess of importing from outside EU is costly if UK doesn't have some "exception". Plus UK pricing tends to be bad anyway.

Made 1 order, got two replacements, can't get third because they would rather refund me and make me reorder except that they took the item down and I can't reorder ATM. And said they are "investigating their stock as there is perhaps an issue with it" and it could take up to two weeks. Well considering I got already notified twice and they still didn't process an item they received 3 weeks ago, I don't think they can investigate their stock in up to two weeks time when they can't scan an item received into their system in 3 weeks = they say there are many returns now after holidays, yeah who would have guessed.

TVs are IMHO made with different machines as they are bigger panels, higher standards etc. also many are VA with over 5000:1 contrast yet PC monitors rarely get close to 5000:1 VA contrast. There is definitely a difference in technology and know how used :/
It's the same with OLED, they stick it everywhere except PC monitors. I'm not sure how well uniform TVs etc. are for PC use but I've yet to see one that is terrible when looking at them otherwise.
They can't then wonder no one wants to buy a PC monitor when all they sell is old junk. 2015 IPS AUO panel in 2018 now and it's as bad as ever and there is no other substitute yet.

The 32GK850G is too big IMHO, should have made it 27-30" and it costs a fortune. Most VAs smear and I have yet to see a UFO photo or good measurement of this panel, all users on OCN that own the 32GK850G so far can't be bothered to take 1 photo of it or are just marketing, aka "new user: just go it, this monitor is awesome" paid cheap workforce to push the product, I wouldn't be surprised.

Reviewers sure get monitors cherry picked, it's not even funny. They get that 1 out of 100 near perfect piece and actual customers who then go buy it in a shop get the 99 scraps. Sadly most monitor reviewers do not order from retail and accept these cherry picked samples to review.

With AG322QCX I paid the return, non refunded, I don't think a return can be refunded, only RMA can and I didn't want a replacement. With XF270HUA and the known lottery, I'm really only considering options that allow decent price and free returns, it's not even worth to purchase it if one can't return it cheap or free. And anyone loaded... I think they purchase a pack of 3 or what ever they can fit into a car even, then do another round and cover many units at once then keep any that look decent, seen photos and reports like that online already, just do it in bulk when ever possible. Should have as well but new to shopping on Amazon.de I wanted to see their return refunds actually work before committing more and that I want to try more of the monitor too of which I am still not sure after seeing 3 units being so bad and most reports online similarly horrific. Yeah AUO panel is "nice", if all you do is game and do not read websites or look at photos or are half blind.

Monitor makers definitely skip any QC and try to sell as many as possible, putting return/RMA costs into price of the product. It's awful for customers but very good for them... profit #1, customer #last.
post #7919 of 8211 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 10:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Yeah, it is not available since the middle of December in all stores of my small European country too, sometimes 1-2 units appear with higher price (+70-130 EUR).

Though yesterday some stores started to report that they will have it again in February with the "normal" price (700 EUR).

However I bought one already for 780. Seems to be ok so far. I don't see any BLB, uniformity issues or dead pixels when using it (not in a dark room and with 30 brightness).

The only issue is that it has a bit yellow tint, that is white is kind of yellow. I decreased R to 90 and G to 80, seems better now, but still more yellow than my Dell U2412M (though I doubt that it's perfect, maybe it just has some different "tint" that I got used to).

Also yesterday night I saw one strange thing at the right side, there were like additional 5-10 pixels between the panel and the bezel duplicating line from the center.

I didn't look carefully into it, but it probably wasn't a software issue since it was not present on a screenshot. Today it was gone, so I have no idea what it really was and I have never heard about such weird issue.
post #7920 of 8211 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 10:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstringmonk View Post

I recently picked up an ASUS PG279Q as outlined here. As indicated in that thread I am on the fence about returning it. Since posting that, the XB271HU went on sale at Microcenter so I decided to give it a try in hopes that I'd have better luck.

Here is the XB271HU at 25 brightness. The picture was taken on an iphone 6. I've tried to adjust the exposure to get it pretty close to what I'm seeing in person.

I managed to get one with profuse BLB in all 4 corners. doh.gif

Build date on the box is Oct 2017.

Here it is after sitting in a closet since I took that picture (3 weeks). I think the speculation is true that these panels need to settle after getting out of the box.

The BLB in the 2nd picture is not really noticeable in day to day uses including dark scenes and is dwarfed by an acceptable amount of IPS glow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in