Acer XF270HU 1440 IPS 144 Hz Adaptive Sync Thread - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Acer XF270HU 1440 IPS 144 Hz Adaptive Sync Thread

post #1 of 1075 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Moderation

Rep: 313 (Unique: 253)
ACER XF270HU AHVA 144 Hz Freesync Owners & Discussion Thread

Other angle pics (Click to show)

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 95

PC Monitors
- November 25, 2015
Quote:
144Hz AHVA (IPS-type) panel with a 2560 x 2440 (WQHD) resolution.
Quote:
Although the shape and general design is similar to the XB270HU, matte rather than glossy plastics are used for the bezel and stand.

144 Hz Monitors - November 6, 2015
Quote:
100% of the sRGB color spectrum is covered by this display and with the Flicker-Free technology, you won’t experience eyestrain after longer periods of usage. The monitor is also equipped with Blue Light Filter technology.

Source - PC Centric

Product Specs

• eColor Management
  • Acer Adaptive Contrast Management (ACM)
  • 100% sRGB color gamut
  • Mercury free
  • Flicker-Less technology
  • Low Dimming technology
  • 6-axis color adjustment
  • Blue Light Filter technology
  • FreeSync Technology
  • Horizontal Viewing Angle: 178
  • Display Type: LED-backlit LCD monitor / TFT active matrix
  • Response Time: 4 ms (gray-to-gray)
  • Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 16:9
  • Color Support: 16.7 million colors
  • Brightness: 350 cd/m2
  • Screen Coating: Anti-glare
  • Portrait / landscape mode
  • VESA interface support
  • Dimensions (WxDxH) With stand - width: 24.6 in - depth: 9.6 in - height: 15.8 in
  • Dimensions (WxDxH) Without stand - width: 24.6 in - depth: 2.5 in - height: 14.6 in

Listed ports of the monitor include Dual-Link DVI, HDMI 2.0 (with MHL), DP 1.2a+ Adaptive-Sync, 4x USB 3.0 Downstream

Freesync™

Freesync™ Enhancements:
  • Minimum/Maximum display rate is now listed in Radeon Settings
  • Low framerate compensation to reduce or eliminate judder when application FPS falls below the minimum refresh rate of an AMD Freesync™ enabled display
  • New support for AMD Freesync™ with AMD Crossfire™ in DirectX 9® titles

Places to buy ( Normally $599.99 )

Amazon

Walmart

Provantage

Acer - UK

FOUR! USB 3.0 ports, needing extra VR hook ups anyone? smile.gif

CPU
|INTEL i7 4790K [4.6 GHz]
Motherboard
|ASUS Z97 Maximus Formula VII
GPU
|SAPPHIRE Nitro R9 Fury
RAM
|CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 2133
Hard Drive
|PNY CS2211 XLR8 480 [Gaming]
Hard Drive
|WD Velociraptor 1TB [Storage]
Hard Drive
|SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256 [OS]
Power Supply
|SUPERNOVA P2 1000
Monitor
|VIEWSONIC XG 2700 [4K IPS Freesync]
Keyboard
|DUCKY Shine 5 YOTG
Mouse
|LOGITECH G Pro [Modified]
Mouse
|ZOWIE G-SR Dark Gray
Audio
|SENNHEISER HD650
Audio
|SCHIIT Modi 2 Uber
Audio
|SCHIIT Magni
Audio
|BLUE Snow Ball ICE [Black]
Audio
|CORSAIR SP2500
Other
|CORSAIR Obsidian 450D
Other
|CORSAIR H100i
Other
|NOCTUA NF-F14 [2] & NF-A12 [3] Chroma
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1075 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 16)
Apparently the Freesync range is 23-144Hz... Very interesting if that's true. I have no doubts the QC is still going to be poor though.
post #3 of 1075 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Phenomenologist

Rep: 173 (Unique: 143)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pereb View Post

Apparently the Freesync range is 23-144Hz... Very interesting if that's true. I have no doubts the QC is still going to be poor though.

I will post pics from several angles and lighting situations when mine arrives. I am so tired of trying to find a decent monitor, and I can't live without freesync/gsync at 144hz 1440p now that I have experienced it, similar to first time I experienced my 1440p 60hz PLS panel, I just could never go back... in the same situation again, and it has been hell, I have tried high end gsync monitors, etc... so even if this has a little bad quality, I have my limits mind you... but yeah I am so tired of looking I am willing to accept a couple flaws if I have too... can't live without that high refresh and no more stuttering, ugh.

If anyone can answer my question in bold at the end of post 1, it would be appreciated.

AIR VPN IS THE BEST VPN OUT THERE. Just do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1075 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

Edit 1: An Acer rep said this monitor Freesync range is 23-144hz... but Crimson said all Freesync certified monitors with Crimson drivers are now ranged 0-144hz... or am I not understanding something? Also that 23 low point is amazing... beats the hell out of any other offerings right now.

The 0-144Hz part is partially true. AMD is implementing frame-doubling that kicks in when you dip below the monitor's range, BUT to function it requires the max range to be at least 2,5x the min range.
post #5 of 1075 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:58 PM
Phenomenologist

Quote:

The 0-144Hz part is partially true. AMD is implementing frame-doubling that kicks in when you dip below the monitor's range, BUT to function it requires the max range to be at least 2,5x the min range.

Ah, so the min range being 23 on this is actually still very very beneficial... hmm this is epic. I hope there isn't too much yellowing of the panel, I may finally be set for a couple years until OLED comes out/becomes affordable, haha biggrin.gif

+rep to you mate, I didn't fully understand that until now

post #6 of 1075 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 03:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

Ah, so the min range being 23 on this is actually still very very beneficial... hmm this is epic. I hope there isn't too much yellowing of the panel, I may finally be set for a couple years until OLED comes out/becomes affordable, haha biggrin.gif

+rep to you mate, I didn't fully understand that until now

I had a XB270HU that had that yellowing. Seems it's a far less prominent issue than on the PG279Q though, and the PG279Q is a different revision of the panel with a slimmer bezel area which is likely not used in that XF270HU, so maybe this one won't be so bad.
Then again I'm starting to think you won't get a quality IPS panel out of any Acer or Asus display at this point. I'm strongly leaning towards the Dell TN instead, but it's a hard decision since it's TN.
post #7 of 1075 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 03:07 PM
Phenomenologist

Quote:

I had a XB270HU that had that yellowing. Seems it's a far less prominent issue than on the PG279Q though, so maybe...
Then again I'm starting to think you won't get a quality IPS panel out of any Acer or Asus display at this point. I'm strongly leaning towards the Dell TN instead, but it's a hard decision since it's TN.

Yep, like I said I had the Acer version of the Dell TN, great reviews everywhere on TFT, websites like Amazon, etc... and honestly TN colors have improved a ton, however, even sitting straight on with that monitor, the yellow and white color shifting from the viewing angle issue while browsing the web was annoying as hell, it just ruined it for me... I use my monitor 12 hours a day a lot of times, its my entire source of entertainment, reading, gaming, movies, music, you name it... worth a little extra for me for IPS... as long as I can get a decent one, even a little bleed in the corners won't bug me so much I am so desperate now, lol.... but yeah I have my limits, we will see. thumb.gif

post #8 of 1075 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 03:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Is the yellow shift you mentioned what I can see on the viewing angles section of the TFTCentral review?

If so, the Dell seems to perform significantly better in that respect :

No doubt the TN gradient is still there and always will, but so far those IPS are plagued with significant temperature shift on top of higher than normal IPS glow, and often horrendous BLB. Pick your poison.

Another thing I'd like to point out from the TFTcentral reviews is panel uniformity :

XG270HU

S2716DG

(XG270HU, PG278Q and XL2730Z perform almost identically to XG270HU in both the viewing angle and uniformity departments)

You can see the Dell performs much better uniformity wise. Although the averages are similar, the max difference is much lower on the Dell. Maybe that's a coindidence and TFTCentral got a REALLY good sample of the Dell... or maybe Asus and Acer buy lower grade panels to increase profit margins, which would explain why many people are happy with their S2716DG in comparison to the PG278Q.
post #9 of 1075 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 03:50 PM
Phenomenologist

Quote:

Is the yellow shift you mentioned what I can see on the viewing angles section of the TFTCentral review?

If so, the Dell seems to perform significantly better in that respect :

No doubt the TN gradient is still there and always will, but so far those IPS are plagued with significant temperature shift on top of higher than normal IPS glow, and often horrendous BLB. Pick your poison.

Another thing I'd like to point out from the TFTcentral reviews is panel uniformity :

XG270HU

S2716DG

(XG270HU, PG278Q and XL2730Z perform almost identically to XG270HU in both the viewing angle and uniformity departments)

You can see the Dell performs much better uniformity wise. Although the averages are similar, the max difference is much lower on the Dell. Maybe that's a coindidence and TFTCentral got a REALLY good sample of the Dell... or maybe Asus and Acer buy lower grade panels to increase profit margins, which would explain why many people are happy with their S2716DG in comparison to the PG278Q.

That is sort of what I mean. Basically your dead center with the monitor, you look at a web page, you look at top its yellowish, you look at bottom its too white, and I even calibrated it to match tftcentrals review, that Acer TN is just ugh, like I said no bad for gaming, but my monitor needs to be Art... its something I stare at the majority of my life lmao

The Dell looks promising... I may still go that route... for $499 though I'm going to this Acer a full chance, not to mention since the new Crimson drivers are decent and my 390 is kicking major butt score wise... much more pocket friendly than going Nvidia route... my 290 was $155 used I bought it 3 weeks ago or so, flashed it to 390... so getting this for $499... your talking cheaper than a 980 ti and i have badass setup... lol

post #10 of 1075 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 03:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Yeah, AMD's new drivers look promising. I wish you luck with that monitor, please report back thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in