Any opinions or reviews on the new Dell S2417DG? - Page 37 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Any opinions or reviews on the new Dell S2417DG?

post #361 of 1718 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 05:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardnyl View Post

Would someone who owns the panel be willing to do a few image quality tests when running some modern games at 1080p full screen?

I am in the market for a monitor today but I won't have the budget to buy a video card that can drive 1440p at sufficient frame rates for some time to come. I'm hoping that with the higher PPI due to the smaller size that the scaling down from 1440 to 1080 won't be an issue. This could potentially be a nice bridge (desktop/web browsing at 1440p with good image quality gaming at 1080p) for me until can spring for a better video card.

thanks in advance

Not much, but I posted my opinion on 1080p scaling here. I can barely see any interpolation, and it nearly looks like a native resolution.

Here is another, playing BO3 maxed out at 1080p (the gun is in ads, so there is some DOF blurring effect at the back of the gun):

Bigger Image Here (Photo is a bit blurry too, you can see the FPS counter in the bottom right to get an idea how out of focus image is)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1718 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 12:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Didn't run any special test to check the scaling quality of this screen but i must say that i'm impressed how 1080 looks like. Ofcourse not as good as native, but one of the best screen interpolating i have seen, and i had lots of screens by now. And i'm a very picky person when it comes to image quality.

I think you won't be disapointed, and have a higher resolution for if you get a faster graphic card later on.
post #363 of 1718 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 02:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Currently at $429 on dell.com very tempting. Any coupon code/dc on dell.com?
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-aizs?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=210-AIZS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 1718 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 02:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Last time on the European site they had the coupon codes SAVE1 and SAVE2, don't know if they work outside of Europe, just try and see smile.gif.
post #365 of 1718 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 03:23 AM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 6215 (Unique: 3521)

I have a few questions for anyone who can answer them:

How good or bad is this monitor right out of the box?

What does it have for controlling the image quality and whatnot? Can you show me all the different controls it has?

What's the difference between model YNY1D and KCP2Y? I could get the YNY1D from Amazon.com, or the KCP2Y from Dell.com. After taxes from Dell, my price would be almost $462.

Loneliness is a good thing to share with someone.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage)
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850)
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Titanium 8G
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS)
Hard Drive
3 TB Toshiba P300 (D: drive)
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC)
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO
Mouse
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable speaker wires)
▲ hide details ▲
post #366 of 1718 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 04:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

I have a few questions for anyone who can answer them:

How good or bad is this monitor right out of the box?

What does it have for controlling the image quality and whatnot? Can you show me all the different controls it has?

What's the difference between model YNY1D and KCP2Y? I could get the YNY1D from Amazon.com, or the KCP2Y from Dell.com. After taxes from Dell, my price would be almost $462.

1. Extremely good once you load the drivers, which installs the proper dell ICC color profile. When I first got it, I thought the colors were pretty mediocre, but realized a few days later it was defaulted to a generic driver and icc profile. Once I installed the drivers, it loaded a pre-configured icc profile which is a lot better.

2. Not sure. Go to the dell site and use the live sales chat function and try asking there.
post #367 of 1718 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 04:29 AM
Not new to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene-z View Post

1. Extremely good once you load the drivers, which installs the proper dell ICC color profile. When I first got it, I thought the colors were pretty mediocre, but realized a few days later it was defaulted to a generic driver and icc profile. Once I installed the drivers, it loaded a pre-configured icc profile which is a lot better.

2. Not sure. Go to the dell site and use the live sales chat function and try asking there.

Thank you.

Do you know which model you have?

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #368 of 1718 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 05:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Thank you.

Do you know which model you have?

I bought direct from Dell, so I assume KCP2Y. I think it might just be related to the warranty, as Dell doesn't give warranty by default on Amazon monitor orders. I think they require you to do some process to claim the warranty, and if you don't do it within a certain period, you get no warranty.

Dell also offers free 2 day shipping and I think $21'ish dollars cashback in the form of a gift card, so might be worth it to just grab it direct from Dell. Even if the price is better on Amazon, Dell will price match it.
post #369 of 1718 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 05:17 AM
Not new to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene-z View Post

I bought direct from Dell, so I assume KCP2Y. I think it might just be related to the warranty, as Dell doesn't give warranty by default on Amazon monitor orders. I think they require you to do some process to claim the warranty, and if you don't do it within a certain period, you get no warranty.

Dell also offers free 2 day shipping and I think $21'ish dollars cashback in the form of a gift card, so might be worth it to just grab it direct from Dell. Even if the price is better on Amazon, Dell will price match it.

I would never use the Dell gift card.

Amazon's price is worse for me at $505.59 after tax ($471.30 before tax) vs. almost $462 from Dell after tax. I just want to know from someone in this thread if there's some physical difference between these two models. Does it have this model printed on the back of yours? Is it in your invoice? Anything?

If I want to buy this monitor, then I have to be 100% sure it's going to be worth it because it would leave me very close to the red line in my bank account for the entire month.

CPU
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #370 of 1718 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 05:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I would never use the Dell gift card.

Amazon's price is worse for me at $505.59 after tax ($471.30 before tax) vs. almost $462 from Dell after tax. I just want to know from someone in this thread if there's some physical difference between these two models. Does it have this model printed on the back of yours? Is it in your invoice? Anything?

If I want to buy this monitor, then I have to be 100% sure it's going to be worth it because it would leave me very close to the red line in my bank account for the entire month.

You can get it for $408 before tax. Dell's site is really screwy and shows different prices depending on how you search, or how you land on the page. Go to google, type in dell store, click first link (should be www.dell.com/en-us/shop), search s2417dg and it should show up as $408. You might have to have a free Dell rewards account, so if you don't see that price, create an account, login, then repeat above.

And no, it doesn't show that number on my monitor or bill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in