Increasing Freesync range advice. - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Increasing Freesync range advice.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
Hello, i overclocked my monitor asus vs278 from 60 to 75 hz. Than i applied freesync range 33-75.
My games in fullscreen mode keep running while in blackscreen, it doesn't happen in borderless window mode or window mode.
Deactivating free-sync will fix the black screen in fullscreen mode.
Do i have to change the range to fix blackscreen in fullscreen mode? My monitor doesn't support freesync natively, but would like to know how to find the correct range for non freesync monitors if possible.
I already checked the depth of color and is greyed out, so cannot be put to 6 to fix the issue.
I'm on hdmi, latest amd drivers, r9 390 nitro is the gpu, windows 10.
If need further info ,just ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 08:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hey man, i know its years later, but i cant get my freesync range to improve from 48-74 hz...
My changes in CRU won't be applied to my radeon settings, if i restart or not, it doesnt matter
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
@RaduZ

Use CRU, it definitely works .

I have an Asus MG279Q, stock FS range 35-90Hz, as it's 144Hz panel I went 57-144Hz FS range .

Method:-

i) Download CRU.
ii) Click edit across the top.
iii) Make sure "Range Limits" is ticked.
iv) Change the freesync limits to what you want.
v) Restart the driver with restart.exe or restart64.exe.

Even with that range LFC will work as max refresh is ≥2.5X min. refresh.

How I verified mod had worked was running game with overlay showing FPS (ie FRAPS, etc) and then compared that with the Hz shown in OSD of monitor, as they matched at FPS changes, FS was working (plus no tearing, etc).

Once you have done the edit to FS range, mod will not be removed with reboot, the way to remove mod is using the reset-all.exe .
I don't get it.
I have 279Q aswell. Downloaded CRU, checked everything regarding manual and modified range to 143Hz. But monitor still keeps saying Freesync is disabled when I change frequency from 90Hz to 144 in control panel.
What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:07 AM
Meddling user

Rep: 728 (Unique: 341)
You will see message on screen that FreeSync is disabled, but if AMD driver panel shows it as enabled (hover over switch and you should see range) then all is well.

You can check FreeSynce is working by running a game and seeing Hz change in OSD.

I have attached a profile for ASUS MG279Q for use with ToastyX's CRU, it will apply 57-144Hz FreeSync range. Just load profile, apply and reboot.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MG279Q_144hz_57-144_144.10hz.zip (307 Bytes, 3 views)
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
You will see message on screen that FreeSync is disabled, but if AMD driver panel shows it as enabled (hover over switch and you should see range) then all is well.

You can check FreeSynce is working by running a game and seeing Hz change in OSD.

I have attached a profile for ASUS MG279Q for use with ToastyX's CRU, it will apply 57-144Hz FreeSync range. Just load profile, apply and reboot.
I have 1080 Ti, so testing it through nv control panel - it says, "g-sync is active".
You think it really works? I mean, I can't see any changes, because I simply have no tearing in games
OSD shows refresh rate floating with 144Hz set in control panel - the actual value is 143Hz, varying time to time.
Though, I must say, Freesync worked within 144Hz even on day-1 when nvidia released those drivers - I saw rate floating around 143Hz mark, as well as Freesync was ON in OSD menu - it's just about that message popping out about 35-90Hz range.

Maybe it's something about nvidia drivers and gsync range. Or maybe I had the monitor modified a long ago - however, the last radeon I've had was 7950, and it didn't supported freesync at all.

P.S. I've changed only upper range from 90 to 144Hz - so it looks like 35-144Hz now. Does it have to be more conservative, like you've done, from 57 to 144? Freesync range limiters?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

YEAH! That worked - I've changed the range from 35-144 to 57-144 as you've mentioned in your tutorials. And I've got rid of most of artifacting and flickering. I'll test more in order to check everything's set up.

So, I'm curious, why low frequency - or is it range too extended? - makes the monitor artifacting? I didn't thought adaptive frequency sync that hardware related..
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 04:12 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 293 (Unique: 214)
With Nvidia go to NVCP, select one of the Gsync menus, go to main menu, something like "Display" - "show Gsync compatible logo", it will then show an overlay in DX11 and OGL applications (maybe even DX12 and Vulkan, didn't test those, don't have any) when Gsync compatible output of NV GPU is active. That still doesn't mean your monitor is also in Adaptive Sync mode and synced up correctly. But at least lets you see what the GPU is actually freaking doing as there are games that run Windowed mode only and will not run adaptive synced, instead they have forced Vsync from Windows and you're always getting lag with that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in