Increasing Freesync range advice. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Increasing Freesync range advice.

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 22)
Hey guys, I have been looking for a way to increase the operating range of Freesync on my Samsung S24F350 from 48-72Hz. So far I found these 2 sources:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4ddqdp/best_way_to_overclock_freesync_monitor_and/

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/owners-of-freesync-monitors-can-enlarge-hz-range-with-simple-hack.html

Now the one using CRU seems less complicated but I wonder if it has the same efect, it's my first time using any of these programs so I would gladly take any kind of advice. thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 05:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
CRU does the job, I think the other method only exists before CRU was updated to have this ability.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 05:53 AM

Cru is great. You can overclock your display up to its maximum kHz rating: 81 kHz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 02:10 AM
Meddling user

Rep: 729 (Unique: 342)
@RaduZ

Use CRU, it definitely works smile.gif .

I have an Asus MG279Q, stock FS range 35-90Hz, as it's 144Hz panel I went 57-144Hz FS range smile.gif .

Method:-

i) Download CRU.
ii) Click edit across the top.
iii) Make sure "Range Limits" is ticked.
iv) Change the freesync limits to what you want.
v) Restart the driver with restart.exe or restart64.exe.

Even with that range LFC will work as max refresh is ≥2.5X min. refresh.

How I verified mod had worked was running game with overlay showing FPS (ie FRAPS, etc) and then compared that with the Hz shown in OSD of monitor, as they matched at FPS changes, FS was working (plus no tearing, etc).

Once you have done the edit to FS range, mod will not be removed with reboot, the way to remove mod is using the reset-all.exe .
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 06:16 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 23 (Unique: 18)
I used cru to change my freesync range from 40-61 to 33-60 (4k 60hz monitor)

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thx for the advice guys thumb.gif like always the OCN community never disappoints,

@gupsterg Can you please elaborate on what LFC means I'm not familiar with that and it seems like something I should keep in mind while tweaking my FS range.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:25 AM
Meddling user

I didn't find much info on LFC when deciding to get a FreeSync monitor recently redface.gif . Some monitor reviews touch on it very lightly. This AMD PDF is mainly what the monitor reviews use.

Basically the feature is enabled automatically, based on FreeSync range of monitor. So as long as your FS range is where "max refresh is ≥2.5X min. refresh" you will have feature working. Monitor needs no extra hardware/firmware, but just FS range compliance and driver take care of it smile.gif .

Example based on my MG279Q:-

Stock FS range:

Min 35Hz x 2.5 = 87.5Hz and as Max Hz is 90Hz in FS range = LFC compliant.

Modded FS range:

Min 57Hz x 2.5 = 142.5 and as Max Hz is 144MHz in FS range = LFC compliant.

If Min 37Hz x 2.5 = 92.5Hz, so if Max Hz was set 90Hz it would be LFC non compliant. Then in other example if I set Min 58Hz x 2.5 = 145Hz, so if Max Hz was set 144Hz it would be LFC non compliant.

So basically with my modded range due to LFC it will be smooth even below 57FPS/Hz biggrin.gif .
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks now I understand what I have to do.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:53 AM

Don't use any tool other than CRU. It works natively, updating the monitor EDID tables at boot. I ran into out of range errors and overscan issues using the new overclock feature in the 2016 AMD Radeon Settings. I just looked at prad.de and saw they ran into the same issues. Also, they couldn't overclock the monitor while in fact I have a 71.928Hz custom refresh rate just for 24 fps videos.[Source]
It is all thanks to @ToastyXthumb.gif
Quote:
Video signal processing

Supported refresh rates

According to the manufacturer only image frequencies 56-61 Hz are supported. we tried to set different refresh rates via the Nvidia Control Panel. Interesting are in particular 50 Hz and multiples of 24 Hz (ie 48 and 72 Hz). Despite the very tight margin 50 Hz could be adjusted easily and also 60 Hz were set with different resolutions. All other attempts failed, however, so were neither 24 nor 48 or 72 Hz displayed.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 05:33 AM
Meddling user

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaduZ View Post

Thanks now I understand what I have to do.

No worries smile.gif .

Be aware LFC is not like true FreeSync, you will see on the first bullet point page 2 of PDF :-
Quote:
LFC algorithm monitors render rates and adaptively inserts additional frames to enforce smoothness.

LFC IMO is like Eizo "Turbo 240" on FG2421, see appropriate section in this review.

A few monitor reviews I read where LFC is discussed the writers could not get answer from AMD what the exact implementation of LFC is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in