[VC] ASUS announces Swift PG27UQ 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync HDR monitor - Page 111 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[VC] ASUS announces Swift PG27UQ 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync HDR monitor

post #1101 of 3188 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I really think Micro-led are the future, not OLED.

Oled have a big problem with burn-in issues and this is inherent to the technology (Organic diodes lose power over time and do not age in the same way...)

Oled are really not for video games, really not...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1102 of 3188 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 01:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post

OLED is simply not ready for PC monitors.
Phones has just proved it.
Phones aren't even comparable to the LG OLED's of past years when it comes to burn in.

post #1103 of 3188 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 520 (Unique: 359)
Quote:
Originally Posted by profundido View Post

I have a 27" 4k ips too (as well as 27" 1440p) and alot of user experience with both. I agree that 1440p 144hz is still the sweet spot both performance wise and scaling wise. We don't have the horsepower yet in our current and next-gen videocards to drive the newest hottest titles [email protected] unfortunately. It will take until Ampere in 2029-2020 soonest for that to change.

I don't agree with (modern!) games not looking better. It will indeed of course only show in games that actually use 4K textures to start with but when they do...boy do they look amazing ! (Rise of the Tomb raider and Elder scrolls online come to mind)

Scaling has improved massively in the latest 10 edition compared to the first. It's working perfect when using native Windows software parts that are supported. That means Windows Explorer, Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, ...but as soon as you do an RDP or Citrix session or any other non-native windows component (MMC consoles such as eventviewer) it's all unoptimized scaling and your fonts look like garbage or doubled. In the latest versions of Windows 10 you can now force "no DPI scaling" per program separately so that they always run non-scaled (in native res) while the rest of the OS is still scaled but indeed for most programs that require active reading 27"@4K is not workable even if you can see it perfect. 167ppi is just too much strain on the eyes for continued eyes. It works perfect though for Monitoring tools like "Realtemp", "Afterburner", ...

That being said, purely for gaming I will not hesitate to buy this monitor when it comes out IF and only IF it has low input lag

All G-Sync monitors have low input lag.

GPU: TITAN RTX - 2175 MHz, liquid cooled
CPU: 9900K 5.4 GHz, liquid cooled
MB: ASUS Maximus XI Gene
RAM: G.Skill 16GB 4600 MHz
SSD: Intel Optane 905P - 960GB
DISPLAY: LG C9 55" OLED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1104 of 3188 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 04:25 PM
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer

Rep: 842 (Unique: 543)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekjunkie28 View Post

I'm assuming bc games aren't "graphically optimized" for 4k yet.

There's no such thing. Pixels are pixels. The only thing game developers have to adjust for is HUD scaling.

The only factors here are the user's eyesight and their distance from the monitor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post

OLED is simply not ready for PC monitors.
Phones has just proved it.

They have improved the "burning problem" but this monitors are still affected by burning problems.
If it's true that OLED is good for phones few hours of activity per day, fast replacement who get a smartphone for more than 2 years now?
This is not true for PC monitors, PC users tends to use a PC monitor for more than 2 years, for a lot of hours a day, using the same windows toolbar for hours.
This causes burning effect, OLED monitors looses quality way faster than IPS one.

I don't want OLED for my PC but please stop talking about OLED here, this is another thread.

Basically a strawman argument, which Leopardi pointed out already. OLED in phones (RGB OLED) with their complete lack of anti-retention features AND their planned obsolescence release models hardly has anything to do with LG white OLED TVs which have multiple highly effective, proven features to prevent retention and burn-in. But you will use this strawman argument forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessBelgian View Post

I really think Micro-led are the future, not OLED.

Oled have a big problem with burn-in issues and this is inherent to the technology (Organic diodes lose power over time and do not age in the same way...)

Oled are really not for video games, really not...

microLED probably, hopefully is the future, but you are also exaggerating the issue and need to check out LG's 2016 and 2017 models and see what it actually takes to cause retention (people run tests just for this). Extreme use causes retention, and burn-in would never occur for a gamer.

But I'll tell you what's not for video games: LCD. It's also not good for content creation or any color critical work. Good for nothing.
post #1105 of 3188 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 218 (Unique: 102)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

There's no such thing.
Graphical optimization can mean using low-res models and just upscaling them.

Also burn-in and retention are just one problem. Another is the aging of blue subpixels, causing a loss of color range and/or intensity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtec View Post

You assume wrong. MicroLED is a still in-development technology that's one LED per subpixel, just like OLED. You can think of it as inorganic LED to the organic LED of OLED. Like OLED, it's totally independent of LCD.
That's nice. Let me know when it's commercially available. Currently, LED means backlights.

I've been waiting for CPUs with GaInAs with nanowires for years.

Free expression is the base of human rights, the root of human nature, and the mother of truth. — 刘晓波 (Liu Xiaobo)
post #1106 of 3188 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstition222 View Post

That's nice. Let me know when it's commercially available. Currently, LED means backlights.

Well, the discussion was about future technologies. Also, OLED is an LED technology (hence the name), and is current, yet doesn't involve backlighting.
post #1107 of 3188 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 06:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 218 (Unique: 102)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtec View Post

Well, the discussion was about future technologies. Also, OLED is an LED technology (hence the name), and is current, yet doesn't involve backlighting.
Yes for OLED that's true.

OLED isn't just the future tech. Its issues with blue subpixel lifespan have been well-known for many years. That's why the white subpixel was introduced. Complaints about retention have been talked about in terms of 2016 LG televisions in particular.

An inorganic LED without an LCD layer sounds exciting. Let's hope it pans out.

Free expression is the base of human rights, the root of human nature, and the mother of truth. — 刘晓波 (Liu Xiaobo)
post #1108 of 3188 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 04:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallsignVega View Post

All G-Sync monitors have low input lag.

I was going to say "not true" but then I realized that without details we're just comparing subjective standards of low input lag that only exist in our minds and are different. When comparing 3 of my screens which all 3 have g-sync, 1 feels superfast, 1 medium but still fast and the last screen feels so slow I can no longer play games on it. In detail:

My Asus PG278Q g-sync screens feels superfast like no input delay at all. As fast as I think and execute looking in a different direction with the mouse, the screen shows it ! This keeps amazing me as it gives me the sensation that my mind, arm, mouse, computer and screen are operating as 1 unit, not different parts.

My Asus PG27AQ g-sync screen feels slow and sluggish now. It feels like I move the mouse and the screen just comes...later ! Being used to the PG278Q I expect the result of my action to follow at the exact same time of action but it doesn't. I have to wait for this delay and it frustrates me constantly. It feels like night and day difference in fast (looking around) movement

My Viewsonic viewsonic xg2703-gs g-sync screen comes close to PG278Q but still not quite the same. Feels fast enough in order not to frustrate and playable with all the beautiful color benefits

As a reference standard and to put things into perspective the official vendor-published input lag values as well as the realistically measured "total input lag" by independent reviewers are widely available on the net. I realize that no IPS/VA screen such as the last 2 I mentioned can ever match the low input of the fast TN screen I mentioned first and thus cannot be compared or hoped for in the upcoming Asus PG27UQ but the Viewsonic proves me every day that best of both worlds IS possible and that's exactly what I'm hoping for in the upcoming Asus PG27UQ. If it's input lag however is gonna be anything like the PG27AQ I won't be buying it for sure.

I know you're very knowledgeable on monitors so maybe you have an idea on what we can expect from this upcoming monitor ?
post #1109 of 3188 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 04:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 520 (Unique: 359)
You are comparing 4K @ 60 Hz monitor versus 144 Hz 1440p monitors. Of course the monitor with much lower Hz isn't going to feel as snappy, the frames aren't updated as much which will increase input lag.

Still, measured 5.9 ms input lag is basically nothing for 60 Hz:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-pg27aq/

GPU: TITAN RTX - 2175 MHz, liquid cooled
CPU: 9900K 5.4 GHz, liquid cooled
MB: ASUS Maximus XI Gene
RAM: G.Skill 16GB 4600 MHz
SSD: Intel Optane 905P - 960GB
DISPLAY: LG C9 55" OLED
post #1110 of 3188 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 05:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallsignVega View Post

You are comparing 4K @ 60 Hz monitor versus 144 Hz 1440p monitors. Of course the monitor with much lower Hz isn't going to feel as snappy, the frames aren't updated as much which will increase input lag.

Still, measured 5.9 ms input lag is basically nothing for 60 Hz:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-pg27aq/

I used to think too that it was just the 60 hz until I decided to set both 144hz screens to 60hz and then compare them. That's when I realized the delay I felt was not the max display frequency

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in