[VC] ASUS announces Swift PG27UQ 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync HDR monitor - Page 299 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[VC] ASUS announces Swift PG27UQ 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync HDR monitor

post #2981 of 3241 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by deadchip12 View Post
It looks like this on my pg27uq (pls see the pics attached). It’s not as super obvious as yours, but still very noticeable. If you think this is bad, check out this video: https://youtu.be/E3Bf3mq1Or8. My monitor looks like a complete mess running it. Feels bad spending $3000 on this man. Should have bought a va tv.
Thank you so much for this. This is miles better than mine. Yes i know what you mean with the video that you posted. I watched something similar ( night in vegas with hdr) and it was an absolute disaster. Thinking of getting the Asus now... Is the sounnd from the fan that terrrible?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2982 of 3241 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ggp759 View Post
It looks like this on my pg27uq (pls see the pics attached). It’s not as super obvious as yours, but still very noticeable. If you think this is bad, check out this video: https://youtu.be/E3Bf3mq1Or8. My monitor looks like a complete mess running it. Feels bad spending $3000 on this man. Should have bought a va tv.
Thank you so much for this. This is miles better than mine. Yes i know what you mean with the video that you posted. I watched something similar ( night in vegas with hdr) and it was an absolute disaster. Thinking of getting the Asus now... Is the sounnd from the fan that terrrible?
I don’t think the fan makes any noise at all lol but i wear headphone and my room is not exactly quiet so I’m not sure (though I did put my ears near the back of the monitor and heard nothing).

The backlight bleed is pretty bad though (see pics), and I have exchanged once. Both the old and new monitor have backlight bleed and dead/stuck pixels. I’m asking Asus to give me a 3rd one and if it is still like this then I will ask them to return my money
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0670E555-AE95-46D1-979F-F3E32ADD6237_1554460190408.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	263438  

post #2983 of 3241 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

I don’t think the fan makes any noise at all lol but i wear headphone and my room is not exactly quiet so I’m not sure (though I did put my ears near the back of the monitor and heard nothing).

The backlight bleed is pretty bad though (see pics), and I have exchanged once. Both the old and new monitor have backlight bleed and dead/stuck pixels. I’m asking Asus to give me a 3rd one and if it is still like this then I will ask them to return my money
That picture looks like mostly IPS glow. Bleed would manifest as like patches of usually a yellowish color that dont change with head movement. For example if you view the monitor on a black screen from an extreme angle they would still be visible- and they are usually at the edges (typically from the bezel being fastened too tightly.

Does turning on FALD eliminate it?

Also is it possible to take a picture of your dead pixel(s)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2984 of 3241 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Lockjaw333 View Post

That picture looks like mostly IPS glow. Bleed would manifest as like patches of usually a yellowish color that dont change with head movement. For example if you view the monitor on a black screen from an extreme angle they would still be visible- and they are usually at the edges (typically from the bezel being fastened too tightly.

Does turning on FALD eliminate it?

Also is it possible to take a picture of your dead pixel(s)?
Attached is a picture with fald turned on. Most of the glow/blb are gone but the monitor does not look completely black. The thing is, in real contents, when bright objects are near edges or corners of the monitor, fald cannot help it and the haloing is intensified by those glows and looks horrible.

Can’t take a pic of the dead pixel because they are too small and pretty much unnoticeable. But I attached a pic of the stuck pixel, which is very obvious
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3539981F-AFEE-4F28-B467-DC86DE0148EA_1554468531846.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	263442  

Name:	4A925B83-4029-45F3-A07A-783ED0DB077C_1554468616752.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	263444  

post #2985 of 3241 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

They could (and must) make a clever algorithm to reduce the blooming like many Samsung TV.

When in a black space there is a small area that is not black (like a star) the backlight leds on that area could not bright too much
post #2986 of 3241 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:35 AM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Rep: 114 (Unique: 79)
Quote: Originally Posted by acmilangr View Post
They could (and must) make a clever algorithm to reduce the blooming like many Samsung TV.

When in a black space there is a small area that is not black (like a star) the backlight leds on that area could not bright too much
Most the Samsung TVs don't have some superior algorithm, they just don't get nearly as bright, and they have VA panels. We have a Sammy in the bedroom, that doesn't bloom that bad, it's also 600nits peak brightness, so like half the monitor lol.

Blooming is unavoidable with FALD, the brighter the lights, the worse it will be, IPS makes it a tad worse as well.

The only way you are not going to have to deal with blooming is buying LED.

To help manage it, turn the brightness down, that's about all you can do. If it still bothers you, try a TV, but I think you will find it has similar issues, and it's own issues to add.

My siggy so empty frown.gif
Favorite OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire go_quote.gif

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
post #2987 of 3241 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Cyber Locc View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by acmilangr View Post

Most the Samsung TVs don't have some superior algorithm, they just don't get nearly as bright, and they have VA panels. We have a Sammy in the bedroom, that doesn't bloom that bad, it's also 600nits peak brightness, so like half the monitor lol.

Blooming is unavoidable with FALD, the brighter the lights, the worse it will be, IPS makes it a tad worse as well.

The only way you are not going to have to deal with blooming is buying LED.

To help manage it, turn the brightness down, that's about all you can do. If it still bothers you, try a TV, but I think you will find it has similar issues, and it's own issues to add.
Yeah some samsung tvs have very agressive dimming algorithm that completely dims small bright highlights and crushes details. However, I considered a sony va tvs instead, like the x900f. That one has only 40 zones but 5x the contrast ratio compared to this monitor and sony’s dimming algorithm seems to receive praises so blooming maybe less noticeable. I can’t return the monitor though, and no one in my area will want to buy such an expensive monitor if I ever resell it. So I guess I’m stuck with this for now
post #2988 of 3241 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Yeah some samsung tvs have very agressive dimming algorithm that completely dims small bright highlights and crushes details. However, I considered a sony va tvs instead, like the x900f. That one has only 40 zones but 5x the contrast ratio compared to this monitor and sony’s dimming algorithm seems to receive praises so blooming maybe less noticeable. I can’t return the monitor though, and no one in my area will want to buy such an expensive monitor if I ever resell it. So I guess I’m stuck with this for now

Ya I dont know why people think this,
Its going to bloom even worse tbh, maybe not as bright of a bloom, but a larger blooming area. Its the nature of FALD, you are not going to escape it. Look at that vid with fixed backlight, the blooming from the square takes up half the screen lol.

To make thing even worse, look at that bloom trail. You guys really need to go to a TV store and look at these FALDs, they bloom just as bad or worse than our monitors. IF you dont want blooming, Buy OLED, that is simply your only option, no algorithm is going to remove it.

Quote:

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
post #2989 of 3241 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:25 PM
mfw

Rep: 393 (Unique: 205)
1000+ zone miniLED VA might be pretty good with blooming, to be fair.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #2990 of 3241 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
1000+ zone miniLED VA might be pretty good with blooming, to be fair.
It likely would, does it exist? No, because its extremely cost prohibitive, and they cant scale it to a reasonable price yet.

You also have to specify where the 1000, like what size monitor. I attached a pic to visualize. Those are both, 40 leds.

Stating "This TV/Monitor has 1000 LEDS!" is irrelevant information outside of comparing it to a panel with the same size, and how many LEDs it has.

A 384 Zone, 27 inch VA monitor, may improve blooming a little bit, but not by that much.

a 1000 zone 65 inch TVs Local dimming will not be superior to a 384 zone 27 inch screen. The entire back of the screen must be lit.

There are 310 about 1 inch squares in a 27 inch monitor, a 65inch TV has 1808, which means a 65 inch TV would need 2260 LEDs to even match the monitor on a blooming radius standpoint, assuming both were IPS. You need to realize that just like with Pixels, the Amount of Pixels you have is irrelevant, its how many Pixels per Inch, that matters. Same here, how many LEDs the screen has is irrelevant, how many LEDs does it have per Inch.

So to put it in a realistic expectation, when you hover your mouse on a black screen on the monitor, you have a bloom around it of lighter blacks, by an inch, maybe inch and a half if over 1 led. Do that on that TV, and watch their be a 5 inch circle around the mouse cursor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	40led.png
Views:	0
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	263516  

Quote:

Last edited by Cyber Locc; 04-05-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in