[VC] ASUS announces Swift PG27UQ 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync HDR monitor - Page 300 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[VC] ASUS announces Swift PG27UQ 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync HDR monitor

post #2991 of 3225 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:35 PM
mfw

Rep: 389 (Unique: 203)
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyber Locc View Post
It likely would, does it exist? No, because its extremely cost prohibitive, and they cant scale it to a reasonable price yet.

You also have to specify where the 1000, like what size monitor. I attached a pic to visualize. Those are both, 40 leds.

Stating "This TV/Monitor has 1000 LEDS!" is irrelevant information outside of comparing it to a panel with the same size, and how many LEDs it has.

A 384 Zone, 27 inch VA monitor, may improve blooming a little bit, but not by that much.

a 1000 zone 65 inch TVs Local dimming will not be superior to a 384 zone 27 inch screen. The entire back of the screen must be lit.

There are 310 about 1 inch squares in a 27 inch monitor, a 65inch TV has 1808, which means a 65 inch TV would need 2260 LEDs to even match the monitor on a blooming radius standpoint, assuming both were IPS. You need to realize that just like with Pixels, the Amount of Pixels you have is irrelevant, its how many Pixels per Inch, that matters. Same here, how many LEDs the screen has is irrelevant, how many LEDs does it have per Inch.

So to put it in a realistic expectation, when you hover your mouse on a black screen on the monitor, you have a bloom around it of lighter blacks, by an inch, maybe inch and a half if over 1 led. Do that on that TV, and watch their be a 5 inch circle around the mouse cursor.
Well, based on what I've just read, you probably think PPI is a good metric.

Zones are zones, regardless of display size. Big display, big distance. Small display, small distance. Trigonometry scales size perception for both the display and the LED zone sizes. That's not a real point to discuss.

Moving on, in regard to availability, AUO already announced 1000+ zone miniLED display for the near future. I mentioned this in response to your claim that one MUST go for OLED if one wants virtually bloom-free presentation. In theory, only emissive displays can achieve that, but such a 1000+ zone VA display with good native contrast might get close enough in practice.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2992 of 3225 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Rep: 114 (Unique: 79)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Well, based on what I've just read, you probably think PPI is a good metric.

Zones are zones, regardless of display size. Big display, big distance. Small display, small distance. Trigonometry scales size perception for both the display and the LED zone sizes. That's not a real point to discuss.

Moving on, in regard to availability, AUO already announced 1000+ zone miniLED display for the near future. I mentioned this in response to your claim that one MUST go for OLED if one wants virtually bloom-free presentation. In theory, only emissive displays can achieve that, but such a 1000+ zone VA display with good native contrast might get close enough in practice.
PPI is the only metric worth a dang, until you get into diminished returns due to distance from the screen. The same applies here, if you are not okay with a 1inch bloom, why would you be okay with a 6 inch bloom.

Of course, distance from screen plays a role, but are we sitting 10 ft from our displays? No we are not.

The issue with your analogy of big display big distance, assumes the user of a PC will be at a larger distance due to the increased display size, they are not. People with 65" monitors are still 3ft away from the screen.

We have a "Faux" 4k Projector, and you are hard pressed to tell the difference between 4k and 1080p, when your sitting 10ft from a 130inch screen, however when you are sitting 5ft away you can tell. Which goes in practice to your reply, however when dealing with a TV as a monitor, and your the same 3 feet away your theorizing is lost, as the distance is not scaling with the size. Your theory basis on the premise that end users, know or care how far they should sit from a given display size, they dont and they wont rearrange their house for it to be right.

That said, the 1000 zones assuming the same size and distance, will be superior and reducing the blooming effect. in 3-4 years when those come out we can see, however Today, which my reply to him was based on, these monitors as a desk monitor, are going to be the least blooming we can get. And a TV outside of OLED is not going to remove the issue of blooming, nor will the MLEDs, they will just reduce it some. Blooming will be a thing, until Every pixel is lit, IE OLED, any amount of Zones, will just reduce the effect it will never remove it.

My siggy so empty frown.gif
Favorite OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire go_quote.gif

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by Cyber Locc; 04-05-2019 at 02:16 PM.
post #2993 of 3225 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:17 PM
mfw

Rep: 389 (Unique: 203)
PPI is the only metric worth a dang [...] The issue with your analogy of big display big distance, assumes the user of a PC will be at a larger distance due to the increased display size, they are not. People with 65" monitors are still 3ft away from the screen.
Well, someone has to give chiropractors a job.

in 3-4 years
One of the displays with 1000+ zones was shown at CES this year.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2994 of 3225 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyber Locc
Its going to bloom even worse tbh, maybe not as bright of a bloom, but a larger blooming area.
“Not as bright” is the keyword here. With some bias lighting, that bloom in the x900f may not even be noticeable (from users and pro reviews that I read). While on this monitor, it’s still very noticeable whatever light I throw at it. Poor native contrast of ips panels really hurts this. Number of zones is just one factor, the others being native contrast and dimming algorithm.
post #2995 of 3225 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Quote: Originally Posted by deadchip12 View Post
Its going to bloom even worse tbh, maybe not as bright of a bloom, but a larger blooming area.
“Not as bright” is the keyword here. With some bias lighting, that bloom in the x900f may not even be noticeable (from users and pro reviews that I read). While on this monitor, it’s still very noticeable whatever light I throw at it. Poor native contrast of ips panels really hurts this. Number of zones is just one factor, the others being native contrast and dimming algorithm.
Okay man, you are going to think what you want I see. Good luck, I hope you enjoy whatever you decide.

Going to tell you 1 more time to hopefully help though. That TV and most TVs are going to bloom much worse, I don't care what reviewers supposedly say, your reading the wrong ones.

I own the last year's model of that TV, my step brother owns that one, and I like to look at TVs at Best Buy lol.

I'm telling you, go to Best Buy or Walmart or something, switch the input, open the white menu on a black screen. The Blooming is worse.

"It's not even noticeable" it's not noticeable on this monitor either, except for very dark screens, you are looking at content you chose to show it, that is worse case scenario, that TV will be even worse in said worse case.

Don't listen to me though, see for yourself here is another vid or go look at them.
https://youtu.be/dlAM9IUbk30

Barely noticeable, ya if your blind.

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
PPI is the only metric worth a dang [...] The issue with your analogy of big display big distance, assumes the user of a PC will be at a larger distance due to the increased display size, they are not. People with 65" monitors are still 3ft away from the screen.
Well, someone has to give chiropractors a job.

in 3-4 years
One of the displays with 1000+ zones was shown at CES this year.
True lol.

Ya, that's cool it was shown at CES, so was this monitor and now it's out, 3 years later. Showing something at CES doesn't mean it's coming out soon, or even ever.

I would say what's the release date, but this monitor got a release date as well, that kept getting pushed.

Well okay, announced 2016, at CES January 2017, Released August 2018, I wouldn't hold my breath about seeing these 1000 zones any time soon.

Quote:

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by Cyber Locc; 04-05-2019 at 07:05 PM.
post #2996 of 3225 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Okay man, you are going to think what you want I see. Good luck, I hope you enjoy whatever you decide.

Going to tell you 1 more time to hopefully help though. That TV and most TVs are going to bloom much worse, I don't care what reviewers supposedly say, your reading the wrong ones.

I own the last year's model of that TV, my step brother owns that one, and I like to look at TVs at Best Buy lol.

I'm telling you, go to Best Buy or Walmart or something, switch the input, open the white menu on a black screen. The Blooming is worse.

"It's not even noticeable" it's not noticeable on this monitor either, except for very dark screens, you are looking at content you chose to show it, that is worse case scenario, that TV will be even worse in said worse case.
I asked Rtings and attached is what they told me. Also, they gave the x27 (and presumably the pg27uq as well since they are similar) very low score for contrast and local dimming feature compared to x900f. Since you cite rtings’s videos, I guess you think they are a trustworthy source.

The blooming on the x900f we see in the video is filmed in a pitch dark room and at an angle which is a weakness of va tech. In pitch dark room, this monitor does not even completely turns the zones off, so we end up with a grey full screen compared to a pretty much black full screen on the x900f as seen in the video, so comparison is off. I’m just trying to look for the right answer here man, not think what I want to see.
post #2997 of 3225 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:27 PM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

I asked Rtings and attached is what they told me. Also, they gave the x27 (and presumably the pg27uq as well since they are similar) very low score for contrast and local dimming feature compared to x900f. Since you cite rtings’s videos, I guess you think they are a trustworthy source.

The blooming on the x900f we see in the video is filmed in a pitch dark room and at an angle which is a weakness of va tech. In pitch dark room, this monitor does not even completely turns the zones off, so we end up with a grey full screen compared to a pretty much black full screen on the x900f as seen in the video, so comparison is off. I’m just trying to look for the right answer here man, not think what I want to see.

So I have nothing for or against RTratings, I neither like them nor dislike them. I will however say that this right here,
that they are basing there Dimming function on, its vastly different from my monitor. Watch that video and thats what they are saying our monitor does, look especially at how they are showing the opposite side of the panel lighting up from where the image is. I attached a pic, of what I am talking about. My monitor doesn't do this, at all.

There is also the fact that every single other review of the monitor has completely different findings, I think a lot of this comes down to Panel Lottery, and Also from what I have been seeing lately the Acers tend to be a lot worse than the Asus. What they are showing in their review video, simply doesn't happen for me. I also do not know if that was an issue on early samples and my late sample has fixed it.

I am not saying a VA cannot look better, or that it doesn't, I am saying that your complaint blooming, is worse with the TVs you are comparing. Go see the TVs for yourself to find out for sure. Is the blooming darker, sure, its also 10x the size. What is more important to you, is up to you. Their is pros and cons to both.

All I can say is here is this,
thats their test video, and running it on my monitor, looks absolutely nothing like it does in their video of the X27, and watching it on the TVs in the house (a Sony 900e and a Samsung 7100) the TVs are worse, not brighter blooms, just huge blooms. The TVs are bigger, so that is an argument you could make, but the blooms are proportionally larger.

As to their video and my reality, well the mid size circle in their videos cover, is blooming like 1/4 the screen right? Ya well its an inch around circle tops for me, if even that much, the biggest circle has almost no blooming for me. Thats why I keep saying go look at it in person, their video of the x27, is not even on the same realm of existence as the blooming my Asus has, not by a mile, if it looked like that I would have sent it back immediately.

I also dont have my monitor set to eye bleed brightness either though, I have it set to 40, but thats the ASUS (new Asus firmware with the brightness increase), yours may differ (40 in SDR, HDR I leave at reference 80)

Edit: watched that review video again, dont have to go past the first 5 secs. that huge bloom barely blooms for me, it blooms their whole screen. Something was seriously wrong with their testing.

Quote:

Last edited by Cyber Locc; 04-05-2019 at 09:34 PM.
post #2998 of 3225 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

So I have nothing for or against RTratings, I neither like them nor dislike them. I will however say that this right here,
that they are basing there Dimming function on, its vastly different from my monitor. Watch that video and thats what they are saying our monitor does, look especially at how they are showing the opposite side of the panel lighting up from where the image is. I attached a pic, of what I am talking about. My monitor doesn't do this, at all.

There is also the fact that every single other review of the monitor has completely different findings, I think a lot of this comes down to Panel Lottery, and Also from what I have been seeing lately the Acers tend to be a lot worse than the Asus. What they are showing in their review video, simply doesn't happen for me. I also do not know if that was an issue on early samples and my late sample has fixed it.

I am not saying a VA cannot look better, or that it doesn't, I am saying that your complaint blooming, is worse with the TVs you are comparing. Go see the TVs for yourself to find out for sure. Is the blooming darker, sure, its also 10x the size. What is more important to you, is up to you. Their is pros and cons to both.

All I can say is here is this,
thats their test video, and running it on my monitor, looks absolutely nothing like it does in their video of the X27, and watching it on the TVs in the house (a Sony 900e and a Samsung 7100) the TVs are worse, not brighter blooms, just huge blooms. The TVs are bigger, so that is an argument you could make, but the blooms are proportionally larger.

As to their video and my reality, well the mid size circle in their videos cover, is blooming like 1/4 the screen right? Ya well its an inch around circle tops for me, if even that much, the biggest circle has almost no blooming for me. Thats why I keep saying go look at it in person, their video of the x27, is not even on the same realm of existence as the blooming my Asus has, not by a mile, if it looked like that I would have sent it back immediately.

I also dont have my monitor set to eye bleed brightness either though, I have it set to 40, but thats the ASUS (new Asus firmware with the brightness increase), yours may differ (40 in SDR, HDR I leave at reference 80)

Edit: watched that review video again, dont have to go past the first 5 secs. that huge bloom barely blooms for me, it blooms their whole screen. Something was seriously wrong with their testing.
Sorry I forgot to attach the screenshot of what they told me regarding x27 vs x900f blooming. Pls see it below.

It’s hard to observe the blooming at the showroom because it’s too bright there. I will take your words that the blooming is worse on the tv since you said you owned a x900e. However, I did ask another user who has the x900f and from the pics he showed me the blooming is much less on his tv. Wish I could have my hands on one to test.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	825B2823-7526-461E-B5E0-937A0A4ED429_1554526618203.png
Views:	4
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	263576  

post #2999 of 3225 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
If you're going to do test patterns like that then of course you will see blooming, and we can go cherry pick a whole bunch of HDR videos that will show obvious blooming too. But as someone who has used this monitor to do gaming on for almost a year now, the blooming has for the most part, been a non issue for me. It's barely noticeable in SDR mode where my peak white is only 120 nits so I'm not blasting 1000 nits against black, and in HDR games it has only been a problem in super dark games like Resident Evil 7 and 2 Remake so I resort to my B7 OLED for those games as they are slower anyways so the 60Hz is perfectly fine for it. I just started Far Cry New Dawn and just like Far Cry 5 and AC:O I have not had any problems with crazy blooming. Instead of going around and doing test patterns to expose the monitor's weak point, just try actually using it for a bit and see if the blooming is a real problem for you on actual use case scenarios.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190405_164517.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	263580  

Name:	20190405_165853.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	263582  

Z370
(16 items)
X570
(13 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
Msi Z370-A Pro
GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Cooler Master V750
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Cooler Master H500P
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus XG248Q
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue
Mouse
Logitech G402
Audio
AKG K7XX
Other
SMSL M6 DAC/AMP Combo
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard
Asus X570 Strix-F
GPU
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX 860i
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Monitor
Acer X27
Keyboard
Ducky One MX Green
Mouse
Logitech G502 Wireless
Audio
Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Other
SMSL M6 DAC/AMP
▲ hide details ▲
post #3000 of 3225 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by MistaSparkul View Post
If you're going to do test patterns like that then of course you will see blooming, and we can go cherry pick a whole bunch of HDR videos that will show obvious blooming too. But as someone who has used this monitor to do gaming on for almost a year now, the blooming has for the most part, been a non issue for me. It's barely noticeable in SDR mode where my peak white is only 120 nits so I'm not blasting 1000 nits against black, and in HDR games it has only been a problem in super dark games like Resident Evil 7 and 2 Remake so I resort to my B7 OLED for those games as they are slower anyways so the 60Hz is perfectly fine for it. I just started Far Cry New Dawn and just like Far Cry 5 and AC:O I have not had any problems with crazy blooming. Instead of going around and doing test patterns to expose the monitor's weak point, just try actually using it for a bit and see if the blooming is a real problem for you on actual use case scenarios.
I notice blooming in real contents quite often, that’s why I post about it. Yes only in dark scenes, but it bothers me enough that makes me wonder whether a VA panel with 5x contrast ratio, less zones but 1/3 of the price is better. Attached are 2 pictures of Daredevil S02 to demonstrate. I also play Horizon Zero Dawn. The bright scenes are amazing, far brighter and vibrant than my oled. But when night comes, one you hit the machine, the sparks that come out of it light up the whole screen due to blooming and it looks horrible. Also, any hud near the corners of the screen invite ips glow/blb and all the details there are lost. Pretty annoying.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	74BED81D-3BDD-4CEB-AEAC-5A56A9A14C38_1554531332939.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	263586  

Name:	436285EE-1A2A-4874-B2A1-E05A9A31F73D_1554531347459.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	263588  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in