[VC] ASUS announces Swift PG27UQ 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync HDR monitor - Page 302 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[VC] ASUS announces Swift PG27UQ 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync HDR monitor

post #3011 of 3235 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Does anyone who owns the monitor think the HDR is too bright for everyday use? I've seen varying impressions on whether or not its just simply too bright for a monitor sitting a few feet from you. About to order one of these and that is my main concern right now...I'm someone who calibrates my monitors with a colorimeter to 140 nits peak in a normally lit room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3012 of 3235 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:56 AM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Rep: 114 (Unique: 79)
Quote: Originally Posted by hmcindie View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyber Locc View Post

There are 310 about 1 inch squares in a 27 inch monitor, a 65inch TV has 1808, which means a 65 inch TV would need 2260 LEDs to even match the monitor on a blooming radius standpoint, assuming both were IPS. You need to realize that just like with Pixels, the Amount of Pixels you have is irrelevant, its how many Pixels per Inch, that matters. Same here, how many LEDs the screen has is irrelevant, how many LEDs does it have per Inch.
According to you a 1inch monitor with a two-zone backlighting is better than a 65inch tv with more zones as the 1inch tv has smaller zones. That's not how it works.
That is exactly how it works lol...

More LEDs, less area lit per led, blacker blacks.

When the LED has to light a large area, the blacks in that large area are brightened.

I don't understand how you guys don't get this, it's honestly common sense.

This is why OLED is wanted, each pixel is an LED. This means the lighting can be handled on a per pixel basis. This is best case scenario.

However, as a close to, would be a very high amount of Zones with a Non bleed LCD type, such as VA, IPS glows, so the light Carry's more than a VA, which is why the blooming on our 27UQs is bigger than the 1inch the LED lights, that's the IPS screen glow, spreading the light a bit more.

However even then, the difference is still vast. If a light has to light, 1 in area, or rather is designed to, then we have another light that's designed to light a 6 inch area.

Now let's say, in the center of the areas is a white circle, small, bright.

In the case of the 1inch led area, we will see brightened blacks, 1 inch area around the circle. In the case of the 6 inch area, we will see a brightened black 6 inch area around the circle.

In what world do you live in where the later is superior?

OLED wins due to sheer amount of LEDs per the size area. That's what is important. With the case of OLED the amount of LEDs vs Size of screen doesn't matter, as each pixel is lit. However in an LCD, the amount of LEDs relative to the screen size is the most important metric as far as HDR is concerned.

My siggy so empty frown.gif
Favorite OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire go_quote.gif

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
post #3013 of 3235 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by Lockjaw333 View Post
Does anyone who owns the monitor think the HDR is too bright for everyday use? I've seen varying impressions on whether or not its just simply too bright for a monitor sitting a few feet from you. About to order one of these and that is my main concern right now...I'm someone who calibrates my monitors with a colorimeter to 140 nits peak in a normally lit room.
Im not sure I understand you question, you can adjust the brightness in Windows settings when in HDR mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3014 of 3235 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Glerox View Post
Im not sure I understand you question, you can adjust the brightness in Windows settings when in HDR mode.
I mean playing games in HDR with 1000 nit peak brightness. Does it ever get uncomfortable for you?

For example I play a lot of BF V. I'm imagining playing on a map like Narvik with the white snow blaring my eyeballs.
post #3015 of 3235 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by CallsignVega View Post
Yup, how many more years do we have to wait for a 32" high refresh 4K display...
acer just announced Predator CG437K P 43 inch 4k 144hz hdr 1000 nits but its a VA panel I have never used VA but the size is big enough to where I could consider it.
post #3016 of 3235 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by animeowns View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by CallsignVega View Post
Yup, how many more years do we have to wait for a 32" high refresh 4K display...
acer just announced Predator CG437K P 43 inch 4k 144hz hdr 1000 nits but its a VA panel I have never used VA but the size is big enough to where I could consider it.
VA is supposedly better at hdr (higher native contrast, less blooming) but looking at the price only $1200 it probably is only edge lit, no fald. And I’m not sure about the viewing angle issue when viewing up close
post #3017 of 3235 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Glerox View Post
I mean playing games in HDR with 1000 nit peak brightness. Does it ever get uncomfortable for you?

For example I play a lot of BF V. I'm imagining playing on a map like Narvik with the white snow blaring my eyeballs.
1000 nits is amazing. But that’s just me.
post #3018 of 3235 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:19 PM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Rep: 114 (Unique: 79)
Quote: Originally Posted by animeowns View Post

Deadchip already told ya, but figured I would add that is edge lit. Acer has been adding a few non Fald models to their lineup of 4k144hz, which is good for people on more of a budget, but its vastly inferior to the 27s with fald.

It can at times be bothersome, after a long day in a dark room its rather bright.

You can adjust the HDR brightness, is the answer I think you were mostly wanting however. Im not sure about in windows, but the monitors menu has a setting for HDR max Brightness, not only can you decrease it, you can also increase it.

My siggy so empty frown.gif
Favorite OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire go_quote.gif

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
post #3019 of 3235 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyber Locc View Post
Deadchip already told ya, but figured I would add that is edge lit. Acer has been adding a few non Fald models to their lineup of 4k144hz, which is good for people on more of a budget, but its vastly inferior to the 27s with fald.

It can at times be bothersome, after a long day in a dark room its rather bright.

You can adjust the HDR brightness, is the answer I think you were mostly wanting however. Im not sure about in windows, but the monitors menu has a setting for HDR max Brightness, not only can you decrease it, you can also increase it.
that's not a problem I just want a good quality screen that is big enough for gaming @ 4k and 120hz and at 27 its too small to see 4k in all its glory. I might just grab that monitor and a lg c9 oled tv even 32 inches @ 4k is too small but I don't like the way acer is releasing a 4k 120hz 32 inch with only hdr400 vs the 1000
post #3020 of 3235 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Ok I just tried Assassin's Creed Origins on this monitor. Does anyone feel the game's picture feels a bit washed out? Like black areas are grey. I remember being in a cave and the whole screen is grey instead of black. Also, in hdr mode, there's this graphics glitch where sparks appear around characters. Not an issue in sdr.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in