samsung cf791 ultrawide monitor - text is blurry compared to native mac screen... is this normal or take it back? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

samsung cf791 ultrawide monitor - text is blurry compared to native mac screen... is this normal or take it back?

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
I am on a 2014 Mac book pro. I wanted to get an ultrawide monitor. I got this samsung cf791 for $900 after taxes at micrsocenter. But the text is blurry. I code all day and need clarity. Is this normal for monitors?

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/curved/34--cf791-wqhd-monitor-lc34f791wqnxza/

Text is blurry when I compare to the native screen of my macbook pro. Do I need to get a 4k monitor to get the text clarity of a mac book pro with 4k screen?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

How big is the screen of your Mac? Is it a retina model? Most probably you are used to a level of PPIs way above what the Samsung can deliver (i.e. 110 PPI). If that is the case, going 4K will help only if you stick to to less than 32" displays.

It is otherwise possible that the F791 has some issues with text clarity like its predecessor the S34E790C, which became quite infamous for that due to the squished nature of its subpixels, but for now haven't read any reports on that on the web.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 03:42 AM
mfw

Rep: 360 (Unique: 189)
It's simple; your Macbook Pro's monitor is the best case scenario for text: it's 4K, glossy, and IPS. The CF791, however, is not particularly great for text: its resolution is lower, it has a matte coating, and its panel is SVA.

The difference is obvious, and that's normal. If you enjoy very clear text, your best bet is an IPS monitor, preferably glossy or semi-glossy (though matte coatings on recent IPS monitors are fine).

My co-worker is using a monitor with an SVA panel (curved Samsung monitor). Like you, i really dislike reading on it, especially tiny text.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Cooler Master Quickfire TK
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Cooler Master MP510
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

ok... so i willt ake it back today.

any suggestions? i would like crystal clear text clairty and some decent gaming. guess i will stick with ips. budget is $600 to $1200.

i'm guessing i can't do ultra wide pc master race anymore? frown.gif

i'd prefer freesynch over gsync since it's cheaeper

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I think you should buy the LG 34UC98.
Thunderbolt 2 for your Mac, Freesync 75Hz, IPS.

I got it and was good for my Mac to code.

However if you want the best productivity to work, take a dual 27" 4K IPS LG (27UD68 or 27UD88).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 27 (Unique: 24)
I'd wait for new line of monitors from LG, UC88/98 were great in early 2016 but as of now they're overpriced and have the image retention issue.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 07:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
This post is pretty old so you've probably returned the monitor by now, but for anyone else who comes across this, lowering the default sharpness from 66 to 40 greatly improved the text clarity for me on macOS. I was a little concerned at first, but came across this review which recommends some tweaks: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-c34f791/.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 05:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

I bought this monitor for my 2015 MacBook Pro retina a few days ago and it took some tweaking, but now I'm really enjoying it. Most important thing for me was to lower the sharpness. Otherwise my white on black text in Terminal would get a purple glow around it. Also, I had to change the Color profile in Display settings to 'Generic RGB Profile'. The default profile is 'CF791' and it makes the color blue on the screen look purple.

I just have one issue that drives me nuts. Every time I turn the monitor off and on again, or when I wake the laptop from sleep, the monitor has a very reddish tint to it. It looks like Night Shift is active, but it is not. When I then turn ON Night Shift the screen gets even redder and then when I turn Night Shift OFF again the screen looks normal to me. I'm not sure what is causing this, so if anybody reading this has some insights, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Also, I didn't find any software or drivers for the monitor for macOS. Just for windows. Anybody found some macOS software specific for this monitor? Thanks!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 09:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShwami View Post

I bought this monitor for my 2015 MacBook Pro retina a few days ago and it took some tweaking, but now I'm really enjoying it. Most important thing for me was to lower the sharpness. Otherwise my white on black text in Terminal would get a purple glow around it. Also, I had to change the Color profile in Display settings to 'Generic RGB Profile'. The default profile is 'CF791' and it makes the color blue on the screen look purple.

I just have one issue that drives me nuts. Every time I turn the monitor off and on again, or when I wake the laptop from sleep, the monitor has a very reddish tint to it. It looks like Night Shift is active, but it is not. When I then turn ON Night Shift the screen gets even redder and then when I turn Night Shift OFF again the screen looks normal to me. I'm not sure what is causing this, so if anybody reading this has some insights, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Also, I didn't find any software or drivers for the monitor for macOS. Just for windows. Anybody found some macOS software specific for this monitor? Thanks!

I'm having the exact same problem since updating to 10.13.2.

I've also been using the exact same temporary fix as you and let me tell you, it's not a good fix. I have dual monitors and even having it on generic mode and playing with the color temperature slider to get it to reset the color, the color is still off. It's over saturated. From what i've read so far, it might be our monitor and video card combination. I haven't found a fix for it yet, if you do, please come back here and report your fix. It's very frustrating especially how expensive this monitor is.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 01:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

I don't think it is the GPU, because I tried it with two MacBook Pro machines. One from 2012 with an NVIDIA GPU and one from 2015 with the AMD R9 M370X. They both show the same problem. But luckily for me I need the monitor on the newer MacBook and the fix was easy! I just switched to using the HDMI cable that was included in the box with the monitor instead of using the display port cable. All colors look normal now and no need to change night shift settings every time. It also remembers my display profile now, so it is now just wake on the laptop and go. As it should it be...

One down side is that the HDMI connection can only drive this monitor at 50Hz, while the Display cable drives the monitor at 60Hz. I'm a bit of a geek, so I thought it would bother me, but it doesn't! biggrin.gif

I hope this will work for you too! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in