Nixeus EDG 27" IPS 144Hz FreeSync Gaming Monitor - Page 49 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Nixeus EDG 27" IPS 144Hz FreeSync Gaming Monitor

post #481 of 487 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:21 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 335 (Unique: 238)
And when you use FS OFF you get no OD? What the hell.

And with FS ON the OD only works well in certain refresh range while in other it's bad? To be honest this sounds even worse than other similar monitors. Sounds like static unadaptive OD with FS ON and no OD with FS OFF.

Add to that the V2 issues... + very limited availability...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 487 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
And when you use FS OFF you get no OD? What the hell.

And with FS ON the OD only works well in certain refresh range while in other it's bad? To be honest this sounds even worse than other similar monitors. Sounds like static unadaptive OD with FS ON and no OD with FS OFF.

Add to that the V2 issues... + very limited availability...
That was a Gsync pendulum demo, running on AMD and Freesync, don't be surprised by that issue I was just pointing out what I observed. It's not a game anyway lol. I was just trying to put out what I observed just like the overdrive results on TFTCentral are not while gaming but on special software for the oscilloscope hardware. Could have the same issue as the Gsync pendulum demo and overdrive mighrt not work right under those conditions. Simon said he wants to test the Nixeus under VRR in the future.

Maybe AMD needs to support the special software that Simon uses, I don't know there are just so many variables.

If you have a AMD GPU the Nixeus 27EDG v1 has superb freesync performance. I tried the XF270HUA and it was total opposite no overdrive with freesync at all.

It makes sense Peter has said in the past that variable overdrive is active automatically when using freesync.

post #483 of 487 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

I'm glad I tried other games today, I barely gamed the last month or two as Ive been so busy and after seeing the review I tried BF5 and got a bit worried but I am now content overdrive works great just dice needs to fix BF5, and it doesn't surprise me since BF5 is a Nvidia release so no surprise freesync isn't working normally which works amazing.

Edit: Just fired up BF5 again and low overdrive works but doesn't do much, on the other hand working variable overdrive like when playing BF4, BF1 and Apex is awesome feels like a TN pretty much and I can just concentrate on gaming without feeling uncompetitive.

I sent a tweet to AMDcare and DICE to fix freesync in BF5 properly obviously when they back to the studio, something there isn't right.

Last edited by astrixx; 04-21-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 487 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:52 PM
Overclocker

The Gsync pendulum demo is just like a game, so is Windmill demo, etc. Even many desktop apps that you may think oh that's just some Win32 windowed app are in fact using a more modern API and actually run HW accelerated via GPU with adaptive sync active (windowed mode), etc.
Either adaptive sync is active or not, there is no "in between" or "something is wrong with the app" XD
If you get occasional tearing then the output is going out of adaptive sync range too much. Overdrive wise... good luck seeing that in games that have enforced motion blur. Games with very variable output/frame pacing are gonna suck no matter what.
post #485 of 487 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

I don't see taring in BF5 it's just not smooth and in my opinion it changes the response time of the screen compared to BF4. It feel so different to other DICE titles not sure what the heck is going on but I definitly notice it. They do try and force you to use render ahead as without it the performance isn't stable this was never the case before so I think this could be part of the issue. BF4 feels great and the connected feel is very strong, BF5 doesn't have that for some strange reason. It's the juddering that might be in interfering with something.

I tried Fortnite and I could see that low gave the best results on BF4 I can't tell the difference no matter how hard I try and they all feel excellent.

Maybe it has something to do with the way Windows 10 handles some new games in the new fullscreen/windowed mode it used to just be fullscreen.

Last edited by ryan92084; 04-26-2019 at 03:27 AM.
post #486 of 487 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:24 AM
Overclocker

Could be, but stable output from the app is important and not all games can do that.
post #487 of 487 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

I am not sure what fixed the Gamma options on the Nixeus 27EDG. I used to have the Gamma in colour settings set to off and any setting would change the white balance and would be off. Not sure if it's the latest Windows 10 Pro 1903 update of AMD's 19.6.3 or perhaps both.
Now I am able to use the gamma setting of 2.2. I just compared off to 2.2 and off seems blueish and 2.2 and all the other gamma settings seem to have the correct white balance. I haven't changed any RGB colour values just the gamma. I can't remember what got me to try it.

I think it might be from the way Windows 10 now handles colour or WCG. I know it's not WCG but it is actually over sRGB and going by TFT's tests is 107% sRGB. I think Windows changed something or perhaps fixed something together with AMD's supported drivers for 1903. Anyone else experience this too?

My settings on my monitor are;

Colour Settings
Colour Affect: Photo
Saturation: 50
Gamma: 2.2
Tempreture: User
R:125
G:129
B:130

Picture Settings
Brightness 50
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 4
Aspect Ratio: Full
Ultra Vivid: Off
DCR: Off

Advance
Vol: 50
Audio Source: DP
DP option: DP1.2
Over Drive: Low
Low Blue Ray: Off

I used to use Standard before photo in colour settings but I can see it might have a wider colour gamut at least the colours look more saturated. I thought that Photo would most likely lock it to sRGB but to me looks more saturated. I wonder if both are 107% sRGB like the NX-27EDG v2 on TFT Central or if only the photo colour setting is. I can't test this myself unfortunately.

Last edited by astrixx; 07-24-2019 at 04:35 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in