Predator X27 - Page 165 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Predator X27

post #1641 of 1699 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by mark_thaddeus View Post
Good for you that it doesn't bother you but letters, etc. have blurry edges which bugged a lot of users when using 4:2:2 chroma sampling. Don't get me wrong watching movies has no effect since most movies are made 4:2:2 sampling but there are other issues for work with text and high res photos.

https://www.techpowerup.com/245231/l...ma-subsampling

https://www.techspot.com/review/1681...7uq/page3.html

The ROG swift and Acer basically use the same panel and have the same issue. Acer have the better QA apparently in terms of consistency of panels though.
I just use a switch so that when I work, I dont use 144 hz which is kind of pointless. While I claim to be a fast coder, I am not that fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1642 of 1699 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Whats up with the "Information" menu for this monitor, regardless of what actual resolution I have, it will always claim I have 4K. Other information also seems strange, like showin limited Range even when I have full selected in NCP. You have simliar problems?
post #1643 of 1699 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 31)
I don’t get all the people chiming in that don’t own the monitor. It does HDR perfectly fine at 120. Netflix works games work. Yes it’s 8bit. I’d love to see someone be able to tell the difference when gaming or watching a movie. Oh wait 8bit isn’t good enough for you. Oh ok lemme just change it to 98 and get 444 10bit. Netflix again looks the exact same. Games look the exact same. More complaining from randoms. Just another day here at lovely ocn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1644 of 1699 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Jbravo33 View Post
I don’t get all the people chiming in that don’t own the monitor. It does HDR perfectly fine at 120. Netflix works games work. Yes it’s 8bit. I’d love to see someone be able to tell the difference when gaming or watching a movie. Oh wait 8bit isn’t good enough for you. Oh ok lemme just change it to 98 and get 444 10bit. Netflix again looks the exact same. Games look the exact same. More complaining from randoms. Just another day here at lovely ocn.
http://community.cedia.net/blogs/dav...-bit-hdr-video
http://www.zero-friction.net/2016/05...illion-colors/

Can add that I personally think HDR is a mess on Windows right now, so I see it more of a bonus if it sometimes works as it should. I also find that my X27 really isn't a match for my OLEDs anyway with regard to image quality. But compared to every other LCD monitor (besides the Asus equivalent) its probably as good as it gets. And combined with 144 hz, IPS and a somewhat low "lag" it might be the best gaming monitor out there.

Last edited by improwise; 03-18-2019 at 12:43 PM.
post #1645 of 1699 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 92 (Unique: 67)
I own the asus and the predator. One on the wifes desk one on mine. Only gripe I have is the stupid fan on either of them. Otherwise the other issue I have is when I adjust the volume in a hdr game on some games the screen goes funny contrast then fixes itself afterwards. This might be sound blaster related not too sure.
post #1646 of 1699 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by nycgtr View Post
I own the asus and the predator. One on the wifes desk one on mine. Only gripe I have is the stupid fan on either of them. Otherwise the other issue I have is when I adjust the volume in a hdr game on some games the screen goes funny contrast then fixes itself afterwards. This might be sound blaster related not too sure.
Can confirm this happens on mine also, although don’t have sound blaster installed. Suspect it might be windows related.
post #1647 of 1699 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by improwise View Post
AFAIK you cant, but part of the problem here is the extremely buggy HDR implementation in Windows. If you can see no difference, I would guess you don't have HDR enabled at all. I should be noted that I myself has kind of given up on HDR for the moment because it is so flaky.
I can confirm what Jbravo33 is saying. Going from 120 Hz SDR to 120 Hz HDR 8-bit is definitely noticeable. Going from 120 Hz 8-bit HDR in games to 98 Hz 10-bit HDR in games isn't noticeable at all.
post #1648 of 1699 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Sajin1337 View Post
I can confirm what Jbravo33 is saying. Going from 120 Hz SDR to 120 Hz HDR 8-bit is definitely noticeable. Going from 120 Hz 8-bit HDR in games to 98 Hz 10-bit HDR in games isn't noticeable at all.
Well, noticeable isn't really the same thing as claiming that HDR works fine at 120 hz, changing gamma would also be noticeable. From what I can tell, the 98 hz limit for "real HDR" is still there (unfortunately). That said, as mentioned above, I have kind of given up on HDR for the time being myself because its just more hazzel than its worth now as it seems but YMMV.
post #1649 of 1699 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:38 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 249 (Unique: 209)
Can add that I personally think HDR is a mess on Windows right now, so I see it more of a bonus if it sometimes works as it should. I also find that my X27 really isn't a match for my OLEDs anyway with regard to image quality. But compared to every other LCD monitor (besides the Asus equivalent) its probably as good as it gets. And combined with 144 hz, IPS and a somewhat low "lag" it might be the best gaming monitor out there.
Yeah you're right the windows issue with HDR isn't really helping at all. I still ended up giving my X27 to my brother and sticking with my Dell UP2718Q in my other rig (after comparing image quality). Hoping the next version (maybe even 3rd version) panels fix the limitations.

EDIT: I do also agree that the X27 is probably the best gaming monitor out there!

Well, noticeable isn't really the same thing as claiming that HDR works fine at 120 hz, changing gamma would also be noticeable. From what I can tell, the 98 hz limit for "real HDR" is still there (unfortunately). That said, as mentioned above, I have kind of given up on HDR for the time being myself because its just more hazzel than its worth now as it seems but YMMV.
I guess for some people as long as they don't notice it's ok. For others, like me it's not.

You're right, considering it's limitations and the hassle HDR is not worth it currently. Too bad, I already invested over 3k in monitors! Lol! Oh well, my brother's pretty happy about his shiny monitor that I gave and I'm content (for now) with mine.

Yin & Yang
(15 items)
CPU
i7-4790k
Motherboard
Asus Z97I-Plus
GPU
EVGA FTW3 1080Ti (Hybrid Kit)
RAM
Kingston Hyper X Fury 16 GB 1866Mhz
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic P660X
Cooling
ID Cooling Frostflow+ 240
Case
NZXT H400i
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Monitor
Asus PB278Q
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 TKL
Mouse
Logitech G102 Prodigy
Mouse
Razer Sphex
Audio
Fiio E17 / E9K
Audio
Fidelio X2
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by mark_thaddeus; 03-19-2019 at 11:50 PM.
post #1650 of 1699 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 342 (Unique: 278)
I am currently running an X27/2080 Ti combo and so far it's been doing pretty well. There are a couple quirks that I'm not quite sure about so hopefully a fellow owner can chime in.

1. When there is something white/gray at the very edge of the screen, I can sometimes see a narrow band of bluish tint where the panel meets the bezel. It seems to be primarily on the right but I have seen it on the left as well. Other times I don't notice it at all. Bear with me but I'm curious of this is some sort of trick-of-the-eye? Anyone else see this?

2. Every once in a great while I will experience very rhythmic micro-stutters when playing Black Ops 4 @ 98/HDR. In fact, they occur exactly every five seconds (see photo). Sometimes the problem works itself out, sometimes it will go away if I Alt-Tab, and sometimes I need to restart the game. This seems to happen very randomly; the most recent time at the very tail end of a 3.5hr gaming session. It can happen at the beginning of a match or within a minute or two of a given match. I have not experienced this on any other game but at the same time Black Ops is what I'm concentrating on for the moment. This seems like a Windows/driver issue but thought I'd ask anyway.

I don't recall this happening when I was running a GSync 1440/144 monitor but then again I can't say it didn't happen either.

3. Random blinks. I am familiar with the blink that follows exiting a full screen game but sometimes I will get a random blink or two in addition to that 30-60 after the fact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Ops Stutter.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	260246  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in