I perform better on my 75hz monitor than on my 144hz one - Page 7 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

I perform better on my 75hz monitor than on my 144hz one

post #61 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 08:00 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 132 (Unique: 88)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passante View Post

If I am correct years ago there was a huge thread about this problem on steam. It went for almost 300 pages without a definitive answer.

This video was basically the main topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXGyj3c6Bbg

There is shown mainly a spray pattern problem, but that was just the most evident thing to show. It was accompanied with huge input lag, frame skipping and micro stuttering.

Back in 2009 some polish FPS community talked about this suggesting that it was a problem with all Valve games and the client.dll folder which in some intricated way was getting corrupted.

But I don't know what games you play so this might be irrelevant to you.
Thanks for the follow up.
Yeah, I remember those days, huge argument about that and other problems with that game. I wasn't a huge fan but I do recall valve getting involved.

I'm talking about Battlefield and COD Black Ops to name a few. With COD black ops being more of a twitch shooter then BF series. TTK (time to kill) is a lot shorter/faster in BO then in BF so you must have your PC together when playing that game or you are only going to get frustrated. Which in turns require you to have your PC in optimal configuration. For example, you might be able to get away with closed ports on BF1 for a while but that's certainly not the case in COD. Heck even the developers go out there way to hint at you with notifications regarding ports. So open ports in COD, IME (in my experience) are more critical in COD series.

COD series also requires a certain frame rate and it isn't just 60 fps either. Yet, leaving it uncapped, to have fps fluctuate, also causes odd lag issues. Which you feel the ill effects of more so in COD then in BF series. If your FPS spike more then 10+ FPS up/down as you move from one area of the map to the other you are going to get rekt'd. So, what am I getting at? COD series, IME, is influenced most by stable, lower frame times. And the lower you get your frame time, the better you are able to play COD series.

But that is part of the story. There is more to it and any PC lag, not latency alone, is going to determine how well your packets reach server. Because no matter how fast your connection is, if anything in your PC is lagging it will always reach the server late before it's even transmitted to the server. So that must be eliminated before you can do anything else. Which is why I found this thread important. But this is just skirting around the subject more or less. I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passante View Post

By the way that problem you're describing is something I've dealth with before EastCoast. I know how to solve it but I don't understand the logic behind it.

I will explain you what I mean and maybe someone more knowledgeable would enlighten me on what is happening. Imagine this for a second, my system is running perfectly smooth, no lag, no frame skipping, no stuttering etc. but I decide to install some driver, let's say audio drivers, then reboot and suddenly my whole system start lagging. In game the experience is not really pretty. Input lag, slow movement, I always lose on 1on1 even with laggers who barely know how to hold their weapon. I always seem to see my opponent later. It's barely a second, they appear out of nowhere and before I realize what is happening I'm already dead.
This is how I solve this...I go in my bios and change my "Storage Boot Option Control" from Legacy to UEF, I reboot. Then I reboot again and change it back from UEFI to Legacy. smile.gif

I know it is strange and doesn't seem logical but this is what allowed me to play lag free for almost 2 years now. I don't know why is that operation needed I each time I got a problem, but hey, it works for me.

This is indeed strange. It sounds to me that you need a bios update. My suggestion to you is contact the manufacture and tell them about this. It's very possible they don't know.

Also, I'm not completely sure what OS you are running but Win7 had something called Windows System Assessment Tests (WinSat for short or Windows Experience Index.from Win7 UI). As the name implies it did make an assessment. Unfortunately it took someone from MS to visit an old forum I attended to explain just how important that was to run whenever I updated video card drivers. It did more then just give you a score but did some sort of internal assessment/'reset'. To be honest that was so long ago i don't remember all the details now. But I do know it made a difference for me whenever I benched. Not much difference in games from what I recall. But I do remember performance deteriorated if I didn't run it every once in a while. However, if the PC was idle long enough it would run the basic test for you. Another thing about Winstat Assessment is that there was more then 1 type of test.

Anyway, with Win10 Winsat is still there but broken. You have to do it from CMD. I've not heard anything about this feature and it's a real shame it wasn't revamp'd or improved upon.

Edit: do you by any chance use a Gigabyte motherboard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Thank you for this thread.

Quote: Originally Posted by Leopardi View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by TwoCables 

This may be a very isolated and unique situation.

It's an AOC, so this is definitely related to overclocking somehow.
Quote: Originally Posted by Passante View Post
Yes, now that "delay" and sense of heaviness is gone. But I wonder why does it have to be so not intuitive. That "voltage swing" setting should be set by default! It is almost hidden in sub menus...
No this is not an isolated incident. This helped my problem! I have a BenQ XL2730z and I cannot fathom why I had piss poor performance when I switched from 120hz HDMI to 144hz Display Port. It was even worse than my old 60fps tv.

I am a very competitive gamer and I can tell the difference in input lags and display port had the worse. There's several possible factors for why it produced input lag. 1. It's a similar factory overclock and needed more volt swing whatever that is. 2. Display port acts differently than HDMI and just doesn't push the frames as fast so it needs the preemphesis. 3. Adaptive sync/freesync is too taxing(on by default). 4. My monitor's firmware just isn't good enough to support both AMA and adaptive sync and BenQ won't upload the updates.

Now with this tweak improved my monitor stuttering and heaviness by alot. Some shots were immediate, almost as low latency as HDMI but enough so that I could play with hitscan characters again. Will test which one is better later on.

Redpilled Current Rig Ryzen 5-1600/XFX Black Edition RX-580/Asus x370 Pro-Gaming/Geil Super Luce 3000hz 16GB/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in