31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz VA G-Sync - LG 32GK850G - Page 246 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz VA G-Sync - LG 32GK850G

post #2451 of 2512 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 02:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hmm, disappointing to hear that the 850G still has pretty prevalent smearing. I guess I'll give the 27GL850 a go, even tho I do enjoy dark games and stuff, the smearing is kinda driving me nuts. the 650F had the smearing with trees, but I'm sure the samsung one would have that too, and no, it is not a quantum dot display, but still a SVA panel of some sort. Since I really love smooth gameplay, it really showed that the dark scenes dont keep close to the 144hz mark, as soon as you head somewhere brighter, yeah, its really smooth and nice, CS:GO with freesync off with the 1ms mode or whatever it had, was pretty damn good, colors seemed fine still, yeah maybe not as great as IPS, a bit dull but only when you get to compare the two. I'm not ultra competitive, but I love to have smooth and blur'less motion on my games, yet I also enjoy story games and racing games, those ones do tend to favor better contrast tho. I guess I have to decide which one I want to get, the 650F can be had for 350, while GL850 is 527 Euros, its a big difference, and personally I would have kept the 650F if it wasnt for the dead pixels, but same could have been said for the samsung one..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2452 of 2512 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I have the 27GL850 for over a month and i still can't get used to the contrast (it's worse for movies than games though). I was going to return it but Amazon gave me another month because it's Christmas time, so i have time until the end of December to decide.

If i return it, i have absolutely no idea what to get though. The Innolux screens have better contrast but they are slow, and the contrast is still crappy anyway because IPS so not sure if it's worth trading one problem for another. The only VA panel i would consider right now is the LG 32GK850F but that one has worse smearing than the LG 32GK850G plus i heard some people suffer from scanline artifacts. I had those on the Samsung 27CH70 and i hated them. Plus from what i hear text isn't exactly sharp.

I have an half idea of getting two monitors and call it a frikking day. I'm not made of money but this is driving me nuts.

Last edited by Opus131; 12-09-2019 at 04:02 PM.
post #2453 of 2512 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

It's 1:37AM here, contemplating on which one to pick, I have decided to go for 650F, because legit, better waste less money on an all around good monitor with some drawbacks, than pay the premium for something that shines better in one aspect, but then lacks in another. I really couldn't justify the increase in the price tag from 650f to GL850 or GK850g, it's not even a compromise, their value is not even ground. I STILL cant understand the difference in smearing from 650F and 850G, it wasnt that horrible for 650F, and I had no scanlines or anything for that monitor, and I did sit pretty close to it. If you haven't tried the 650f or 850g, and you did enjoy the samsung VA with the smearing, excluding the other problems you had with it, then I think you will enjoy the LG ones, I also went from a curved 27'' VA samsung, but it wasn't a quantum dot, nor did it have freesync, which is crucial lol. A game like wolfenstein 2 looked AMAZING on 650F. I really didn't notice smearing there, it was there probably, but nothing to cry over about. When compared to IPS TV I have hooked up right now, here's the thing, It doesn't have great contrast, obviously, but I don't have IPS glow that I could tell apart or any bleeding, then again, it's a old TV and I don't give a flying ****. Tho I wouldn't justify paying 520 bucks for a screen that's not uniform, let it be ****ty contrast, but I don't want to risk the lottery of that. Another thing to note is I dont watch movies on my monitor, but I have my Philips 55PUS7803 VA TV for that, and when I got it after returning the 55PUS7303 (which can be either VA or IPS, I instantly could tell the screen was IPS with the crappy contrast and backlight bleed and clouding), I couldn't be any happier, it is almost pitch black on a black screen, text and icons and everything on it looks awesome, only I will probably have to get it to repairs cause it has these dimmer vertical zones that you can see on darker backgrounds or when the HDR mode is on. So yeah, if you are watching movies on a monitor, VA is a MUST, at this point it's clear you want a monitor that serves well for all purposes, then just go for the LG 32GK850G if the price tag doesn't bother you. Since I mostly just game, maybe mess with corel draw and photoshop, IPS would be better, and I really got my eyes on ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD, but it's nowhere in stock where I live, and it's cheaper than the 650F, I'd love to try it out over 650F just because of the price, but I'm not investing 200 more Euros for something that might be better, could be, maybe etc. etc.

Last edited by MaskedMark; 12-09-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2454 of 2512 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

The VA was more problematic for desktop than in games for me. The smearing didn't bother me, the gamma shift, crappy color uniformity (full screen steam was brown on one side and purple on the other), washed out image, and hard to focus text was a bigger issue.

That's why i was contemplating of getting two screens, an IPS for desktop use and a VA for dark games and movies. The problem is that those curved VA screens all seem to suffer from bleed/clouding. My Samsung had this kind of garbage going on:

Sometimes visible even in bright scenes. Those flat LG screens are less likely to suffer from this problem. But, they aren't exactly cheap and the 27GL850 was expensive enough. The LG 32GK650F has been selling at the same exact price as the LG 32GK850F in my country for the two months straight i've been monitoring them. Lost cause i guess. The 32GK850F was 400 euros during the last black Friday while the 32GK650F has been around 420 euros the first time i saw it and it just won't budge.

Last edited by Opus131; 12-09-2019 at 04:17 PM.
post #2455 of 2512 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by MaskedMark View Post
I STILL cant understand the difference in smearing from 650F and 850G
From what i understand, the 850G is supposed to have less smearing but more overshoot than the Freesync variants. The 850F is also wide gamut while the 850G is sRGB if i remember.
post #2456 of 2512 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Oh damn, that's pretty bad, the curved Samsung I had, barely did have any bleed on it, but I still didn't get lucky because the first few days it was great, and on the third day I noticed it had a speck of dust or something trapped between the back light and panel, R.I.P . the 650F was perfect, didn't have any clouding or bleed from what I could tell, and to be honest didn't notice any color shifts or uniformity issues, it might have not been perfect, maybe it didn't have as punchy colors as IPS, but I was damn well satisfied and I'm nit picky with everything I buy. I paid 400 bucks the first time I got it, now I have gotten the refund and found some better deals on it, sucks to hear that it costs the same as 850F for you tho, but at what price are they selling exactly and where do you live?
post #2457 of 2512 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Actually, the 850G doesn't seem to have overshoot as it doesn't have too aggressive OD to start with,also if you have a Nvidia card, G-sync is a lot better VRR to have, the 0 undershoot speaks for itself, but I guess there might be some kind of luck involved with that as JackCY mentioned. Heres a review for reference:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews...50g.htm#gaming (Responsiveness and Gaming)

The 650F here costs 359-400+ Euros too, the 850G 550+, haven't seen 850F, wouldn't bother with it tho, HDR is useless for these kind of monitors, and wider color gamut - well, I could care less, and trust me, I enjoy colorful punchy colors just as much as the next guy does, but I rather sacrifice that a bit for smoother gameplay with less blur.

Edit:

It's hard to understand the difference in smearing between 650F and 850G, because I'm not sure there's someone that has tried both. I know that higher refresh rate has no impact on smoother gameplay if the panel cant actually handle a low enough response time in the pixel transitions, even if its from black to gray and so on, but the Rtings figures makes me WANT to believe that it is reduced, since 80% transitions are 5ms, which is quite the difference for 850G from 650F, and even a full 100% transition from 0-20 was HALVED. If only I could compare the two next to each other, in a game like Far Cry 2, for example the jaggies and smear on trees, which werent black, but they did have shade, does the movement really look different between the two? Who knows! I don't have the ability to exactly compare them, nor I want to exactly do the trial and error over again, I already lost almost 3 months with this bs, and these monitors aren't priced next to each other as well.

Last edited by MaskedMark; 12-09-2019 at 04:37 PM.
post #2458 of 2512 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 02:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

After "PC Monitors" review on both - 850F (which is essentially the same as 650F with wider color gamut and HDR) and 850G, I will throw in the extra cash for 850G. I'll try to make the order as soon as possible and I'll give you my opinion on it!
post #2459 of 2512 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 352 (Unique: 250)
Quote: Originally Posted by Opus131 View Post
The VA was more problematic for desktop than in games for me. The smearing didn't bother me, the gamma shift, crappy color uniformity (full screen steam was brown on one side and purple on the other), washed out image, and hard to focus text was a bigger issue.

That's why i was contemplating of getting two screens, an IPS for desktop use and a VA for dark games and movies. The problem is that those curved VA screens all seem to suffer from bleed/clouding. My Samsung had this kind of garbage going on:

Sometimes visible even in bright scenes. Those flat LG screens are less likely to suffer from this problem. But, they aren't exactly cheap and the 27GL850 was expensive enough. The LG 32GK650F has been selling at the same exact price as the LG 32GK850F in my country for the two months straight i've been monitoring them. Lost cause i guess. The 32GK850F was 400 euros during the last black Friday while the 32GK650F has been around 420 euros the first time i saw it and it just won't budge.
Yeah that's typical Samsung curved VA 144Hz panel. They curve them, make them undesirable and ruin their quality as a bonus.
They could have had killer panels if they didn't curve them and made proper OD as they are able to with their VA TVs.

Quote: Originally Posted by MaskedMark View Post
Actually, the 850G doesn't seem to have overshoot as it doesn't have too aggressive OD to start with,also if you have a Nvidia card, G-sync is a lot better VRR to have, the 0 undershoot speaks for itself, but I guess there might be some kind of luck involved with that as JackCY mentioned. Heres a review for reference:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews...50g.htm#gaming (Responsiveness and Gaming)

The 650F here costs 359-400+ Euros too, the 850G 550+, haven't seen 850F, wouldn't bother with it tho, HDR is useless for these kind of monitors, and wider color gamut - well, I could care less, and trust me, I enjoy colorful punchy colors just as much as the next guy does, but I rather sacrifice that a bit for smoother gameplay with less blur.

Edit:

It's hard to understand the difference in smearing between 650F and 850G, because I'm not sure there's someone that has tried both. I know that higher refresh rate has no impact on smoother gameplay if the panel cant actually handle a low enough response time in the pixel transitions, even if its from black to gray and so on, but the Rtings figures makes me WANT to believe that it is reduced, since 80% transitions are 5ms, which is quite the difference for 850G from 650F, and even a full 100% transition from 0-20 was HALVED. If only I could compare the two next to each other, in a game like Far Cry 2, for example the jaggies and smear on trees, which werent black, but they did have shade, does the movement really look different between the two? Who knows! I don't have the ability to exactly compare them, nor I want to exactly do the trial and error over again, I already lost almost 3 months with this bs, and these monitors aren't priced next to each other as well.
Even if someone did, I think there was, and there are reviews of all including the Pixio with this panel. The OD could be a little better tuned on G variants (yes there are multiple, 850G and 650G) but in reality there is also lottery and while some units the OD may fit them well other may smear more noticeably.

All in all if you don't want smearing blacks, possible flickering due to image getting darker in movement, poor viewing angles, desatured sides, etc. don't get a VA.
post #2460 of 2512 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 03:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 131 (Unique: 92)
Wow, this monitor is still getting attention.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in