Wasabi Mango UHD430 v2 REAL4K i20 HDR/120Hz/10-bit/DP 1.4 [2018] - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Wasabi Mango UHD430 v2 REAL4K i20 HDR/120Hz/10-bit/DP 1.4 [2018]

post #11 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 01:25 AM
mfw

Rep: 405 (Unique: 207)
Quote: Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
I don't think it's going to be the cheap version since that's the U430 ZEN model, and the 120Hz variant is readily available on eBay right now for purchase, for less than $500 (before shipping costs). From what I've seen, the Wasabi Mango UHD models are the normally the higher quality ones.
But that doesn't change the fact that it's a 60 Hz native LG IPS panel.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
First one popped up on eBay this morning for $1400.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253614049402
post #13 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 520 (Unique: 359)
Dual DP 1.4 is required if it is running [email protected] Hz 4:4:4 with HDR/10-bit color as advertised.

Of course with 400 cd/m2 edge lit backlight, it would be the hobbled HDR that won't get that bright.

I'd be concerned that the display doesn't have any overdrive, or overdrive not properly done for 120 Hz on this IPS panel. Especially considering tossing in 2x DP 1.4 input combining into the mix. Proper overdrive circuitry may be outside their capabilities. That could lead to smear city in motion.

And what do you do with a very large monitor shipped all the way from Korea if you have pixel or other defects. If this monitor actually has a decent overdrive circuit, it would probably be a better gaming monitor than the 27" FALD G-Sync displays coming out if you have the massive hardware to support no VRR.

GPU: TITAN RTX - 2175 MHz, liquid cooled
CPU: 9900K 5.4 GHz, liquid cooled
MB: ASUS Maximus XI Gene
RAM: G.Skill 16GB 4600 MHz
SSD: Intel Optane 905P - 960GB
DISPLAY: LG C9 OLED

Last edited by CallsignVega; 05-10-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by CallsignVega View Post
And what do you do with a very large monitor shipped all the way from Korea if you have pixel or other defects.
It's a risk you take, and it's a risk people have been taking since the CatLeap 1440p monitors were available 6+ years ago. I took the risk almost three years ago when I bought my UHD420—it was suffocated in bubble wrap and the display was fine, but others in the past had reported that their display came in a wooden crate (depends on the seller). I had a few friends also purchase Korean displays over the years, and some of their panels had a few dead pixels, while others didn't, but none of us paid extra for the "perfect pixel" option. Two of my friends who have dead pixels on their display say that they don't even notice them unless they're actually looking for them, as when you're dealing with 8+ million pixels on the screen, a few dark pixels in a corner can easily go unnoticed.

The Korean monitor market is not perfect, and anyone looking to buy into it should know that, as these panels, from what I understand, are those that are normally rejected by Apple/Samsung/LG and other big names because they're not 100% A+ panels, but you also don't normally pay the prices of the big brand names either.
post #15 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 01:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Ya I'm tracking all that. I had like six Catleaps way back. Just want to make sure people know what they are getting into when spending $1500 (after customs) on one of these that it may not be perfect.

I think the make or break on these will be if they have overdrive or not (and of course input lag sub 30ms). Looking at some reports from the 60 Hz version, definitely mixed reviews. People talking about stuck pixels, image retention, noticeable input lag, etc.

post #16 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Just want to make sure people know what they are getting into when spending $1500 (after customs) on one of these that it may not be perfect.
I just want to clarify that I did not incur any additional customs charges when I ordered mine from South Korea three years ago, and neither did the other three people whom I personally know—two of which bought a UHD420 after I had, and one who bought a first-gen UHD430 just last year—and we all reside in the Contiguous United States. The price we all paid was the price listed on the eBay page—it included free expedited shipping, and there were no hidden fees. However, I have heard that those who reside in the EU will likely have to pay a customs fee.

I think the make or break on these will be if they have overdrive or not (and of course input lag sub 30ms). Looking at some reports from the 60 Hz version, definitely mixed reviews. People talking about stuck pixels, image retention, noticeable input lag, etc.
I agree, there are mixed reviews, but I also wonder what peoples' expectations are when it comes to these. In the last three years I've purchased three displays from the Korean monitor market (UHD420 and two Qnix 1440p displays, all of which have been, and still are, part of my main setup that I use every day), and I continue to recommend them to people that I know. However, I always give them a full disclaimer with what could potentially happen (broken display due to international shipping of such a large item, dead pixels, etc.) before I begin showing them some choices, and I don't play it down as if it's no big deal, because being disappointed with a high-dollar item just plain sucks. I think there are some people who jump into this thinking they're going to get a cheaper version of an Apple Cinema display or something like that, when that isn't the case. It's very likely that you will get a very good display, not an ultra perfect display, but a very good one. Since, if the KMM was BS, then it wouldn't have the demand that it does nor would it have repeat customers (like myself and another friend of mine), and it probably would have died out awhile ago.
post #17 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 81)
I too rode the Korean wave way back in the Catleap 2b days.

However, the appeal back then was you were getting a premium display (Apples A-, B+ IPS rated discards) matted to an overclockable PCB with an unbeatable price of only a few hundred bucks (later on the Catleap 2b prices skyrocketed once they got popular and supply i.e. 2b PCBs got scarce).

The entire appeal of Korean displays was cheap affordability and getting way more than your moneys worth, which made taking the risk on a no name, no warranty display worth it.

However, $1,400 is not cheap and shipping costs have skyrocketed since 2011.....so returning a 43" to Korea would probably cost more than a small car lol.

Its one thing to gamble a couple hundred bucks on something you may or may not like or may or may not work right......but $1,400.... on something that would be impossible to resell even if I liked it (Ebay fees, Paypal fees, shipping costs, nightmarish Craigslist tire kickers).....NO THANKS. $500 I would throw away and take a gamble....but $1,400....

And before the hyperventelators say...but....but 4k120hz IS NOT CHEAP.... well I am typing this reply on a Zisworks X39 4k120 which cost me $490 total.

Yeah like a really bad song on the radio that the station keeps repeating and repeating.
In time you find yourself tapping your foot and singing along.
It's like being programed.

Last edited by l88bastar; 05-10-2018 at 04:53 PM.
post #18 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Hi, I saw your post on Cragislist. Can I buy your monitor for $15?

post #19 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 81)
Hi, I saw your post on Cragislist. Can I buy your monitor for $15?
I am sorry, but the services which I provided for $15 on Craigslist and Backpage are no longer allowed or legal in 49-1/2 US States!

Yeah like a really bad song on the radio that the station keeps repeating and repeating.
In time you find yourself tapping your foot and singing along.
It's like being programed.
post #20 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 23)
Interesting Competition to the new 144hz 4K Gsyncs and has peaked my interest:

+ 43" instead of measly 27"
+ $1,400 instead of $3,000+ (could go down probably will hover around $1000)
+ Semi-glossy (possibly?) vs ugly & grainy matte screen

+- No FLAD (seems like FLAD could be horrible with what I've seen so far)
+- Questionable panel quality (unknown yet)
+- Questionable overdrive or not like Vega mentioned

- No Gsync
- Harder/more expensive returns

LG OLED C9 55" G-Sync 4K 60hz or 1440p 120hz HDTV (Future 4K 120hz)
Intel Core i9-9900KS 8C/16T @ 5.2 Ghz (all cores) + Asus 360mm AIO
2x SLI EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid 120mm AIO GPU's
Asus ROG Maximus XI Apex Z390 LGA1151 ATX Motherboard
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4 3733 Mhz CL16 Memory
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD Hard Drive
Asus ROG Thor 1200 Watt 80-Plus Platinum Modular ATX Power Supply

Tags
120hz , mango , uhd430 , wasabi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in