Samsung C27JG50 and C32JG50 (1440p, 144hz, VA, Curved) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Samsung C27JG50 and C32JG50 (1440p, 144hz, VA, Curved)

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 1
Samsung C27JG50 and C32JG50 (1440p, 144hz, VA, Curved)

Apparently these are cheaper versions of last year panels retailing at

300 USD for Samsung C27JG50.
400 USD for Samsung C32JG50.

C27JG50:
https://displaysolutions.samsung.com...l/1282/C27JG50
C32JG50:
https://displaysolutions.samsung.com...l/1284/C32JG50

At least we have these prices in Russia.

There are several reviews. Here is the Russian one if you can use Google translate:

https://3dnews.ru/974553

Basically these are the same as c32hg70 and c27hg70 but without Freesync, HDR, QLED and enormous stand.

Also these are approved to finally be completely flicker free by this and other one review.

I ordered 27 inch one and can post some early impressions. I have had c32hg70 previously.

My Rig:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 01:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14
Quote: Originally Posted by LMka View Post

I ordered 27 inch one and can post some early impressions. I have had c32hg70 previously.
You might be in for a really nasty grey uniformity surprise if you expect as good uniformity from the 27" version. Test rtings 5% and 50% grey with it:

https://www.rtings.com/images/test-m.../5-percent.png
https://www.rtings.com/images/test-m...Uniformity.png

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

You think 32 inch model is better? I have not heard anything bad about grey.

My Rig:

Last edited by LMka; 09-11-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 02:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14
You think 32 inch model is better? I have not heard anything bad about grey.
Yeah the C27HG70 is thoroughly tested even here, grey uniformity looks like someone beat it with their fists for a couple of hours before sending them off of the factory. C32HG70 didn't have such problems, but PWM and slower response times.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

It seems quite fine in all areas except I feel like all colors are washed out and there is a grey tint on top of everything. Black is more like grey than black and it looks like grey color is all over all other colors. I have not seen anything like this on Samsung c32hg70, frankly speaking it was completely the opposite when colors were very bright. With this one I have to calibrate extra color +10 % in Nvidia control panel. I wonder if mine is defective or am I doing something wrong

So I should have listened to the guy above. It actually looks like this monitor has a dirty screen effect due to grey uniformity and it actually looks like it was beaten with fists I agree. I have not seen anything like this ever even on TN panels.

My Rig:

Last edited by LMka; 09-12-2018 at 06:14 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 06:33 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 283
Same crappy panels as before?

Still curved, no thanks.
Now with even worse stand, relocated joystick to middle bottom, where as the old one was at a good position.
Still no handle up top in the redesigned plastic shell.

So they removed all the "goodies" from HG to make a "cheaper, business user oriented" variant called JG and sell those crappy panels in mass to different customers.

---

You're doing it wrong if you're adding software vibration to colors to get a fake pop. You should never touch those controls and make changes in software to the image.

You can see the disaster of C27HG70 in previous Samsung thread, I've posted many photos of 5 units and a comparison is linked in my signature with AUO's IPS.

Samsung curved HG in 27" is an unfortunate big mess up by Samsung, terrible dark gray uniformity, constant issues with dead/bright pixels, some units may be slower response time wise to a point of 31.5" variant that is unusable for almost anything but static images. Even 27" has blacks smearing in movies, website browsing, ... let alone games.

Adaptive sync range issues, now they remove it completely? Won't buy any monitor without adaptive sync, don't care if it's a cheapo Samsung PLS for 100 EUR or VA for 500 EUR thay both have adaptive sync or no deal. Their cheapo PLS do have adaptive sync, it's not a costs issue, never was.

Curved is not for gaming either, nor for movies, it sucks for desktop use, the #1 thing they should have removed and keep the other features was to make it flat and thus fix their crazy uniformity and defective rates. But no, they remove all that was good about it and keep the worst. Samsung...

I think there may also be JG52 variants, they've announced two JG at least over the last year. Stand maybe some feature are different, all are still curved because Samsung loves their stupid curved VAs.

Last edited by JackCY; 09-12-2018 at 06:37 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Frankly speaking everything except colors is quite all right for the money. If not for colors this monitor could easily be recommended as a gaming monitor for around 300 USD since there is basically almost no competition but with that grey effect I can't tell for sure.

According to review on 3dnews, they ended up calibrating

Image mode — Custom
Brightness — 17 !!!!!!
Contrast — 75;
Sharpmess — 56;
Color temp — "Custom" (43/52/37);
Gamma — "Mode-2";
Repsonse time — Fastest.

I will set 17 today and share the results but it sounds ridiculously low lol. I wonder if it is the only way to remove some cheap illumination which replaced QLED.

My Rig:

Last edited by LMka; 09-12-2018 at 08:18 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
Frankly speaking everything except colors is quite all right for the money. If not for colors this monitor could easily be recommended as a gaming monitor for around 300 USD since there is basically almost no competition but with that grey effect I can't tell for sure.

According to review on 3dnews, they ended up calibrating

Image mode — Custom
Brightness — 17 !!!!!!
Contrast — 75;
Sharpmess — 56;
Color temp — "Custom" (43/52/37);
Gamma — "Mode-2";
Repsonse time — Fastest.

I will set 17 today and share the results but it sounds ridiculously low lol. I wonder if it is the only way to remove some cheap illumination which replaced QLED.
No, it’s just that their reviewer, DEAD, always calibrates to 100 nits instead of the more widely used 120. His numbers are useless to you anyway, to be frank. The difference in the panels is too big. What’s 6500K at 100 nits for him might be something completely different for you.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

I have checked all I can.

Never buy this monitor.

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT GETTING ANY OF THESE TWO. THEY ARE DEFECTIVE FROM FACTORY.

Not a single sane company would make a panel that bad. It is worse than TN. I have no idea what to do with mine.

I think that some of their engineers went full retard and made a grey panel instead of colorful one after many reviewers told that their previous CG panels were oversaturated.

Whoever made oversaturated or greyish panel like this should be FIRED FROM THIS ****TY SAMSUNG because I can't believe that a VA panel can be worse than 2007 level of TN colors. This is absurd.

Last edited by LMka; 09-12-2018 at 01:33 PM.
post #10 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 05:25 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 283
There are JG52 in Europe and cheaper than JG50, no idea if those have adaptive sync or even JG50 has it.
Overall Samsung has struggled with their 1440p HG70 panels and these are the same or an evolution of with a cheaper backlight and overall build stripped of some features. Yes VA can be worse than TN in viewing angles, color wise etc. hmm depends on how much they mess up the backlight and calibration.

As always when buying any monitor, make sure you can easily and cheaply return it. If you can see it in person before buying, do it and use it as much as you can.

All these Samsung panels are nice on paper but often fail to deliver even minimum required quality. Curve is their #1 abomination that ruins most of the panels.

C27JG52 is around 300 EUR on Amazon.de and at least you get "free" return.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in