27" vs 24" vs 32" and EIZO vs BenQ Vs Dell Vs Nec for color proofing - Adobe RGB - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

27" vs 24" vs 32" and EIZO vs BenQ Vs Dell Vs Nec for color proofing - Adobe RGB

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 09:43 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 300 (Unique: 219)
PD3220U from a B&H store:

Expected availability: Jan 4, 2019, $1200

PA329Q seems old, https://www.prad.de/testberichte/tes...r-asus-pa329q/
Is it good or bad I don't know. Each larger brand has some of this type of monitor. I would recommend not buying any ASUS PC components if you want to stay sane during RMA, their RMA worldwide (at least in US and EU) is awful. Never want to deal with them again.
HP, Dell, Eizo, NEC, ASUS, BenQ, ... probably have some kind of graphics monitor, Acer, AOC, LG, Samsung, ... may not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Ah yes, the wonderful "Asus RMA" is something I do not wan to experience and yes the PA329Q is older. This and I guess I will get a news Batch from BenQ since Amazon.de is expecting new stock on the 12th of December..old stock is gone.

Anyway, I have been digging around the net for info on a replacement model for the SW320 and can't find anything.

TFT Central has an article about Upcoming High Refresh Rate Panels and Displays

I can't see something with AdobeRGB coming anytime soon to make me skip the SW320. Yet, I plan on getting a second display in the future so if I have my color proofing workflow covered I can then focus on other aspects such as Refresh Rate, Contrast/HDR. The SW320 will also be written as a company expense so at the end of the day I am saving me some tax through it.

X299 - i9 7940X
(24 items)
CPU
i9-7940X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC
RAM
64GB Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
WD Gold 10TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB
Hard Drive
WD RED 4TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Cooling
MO-RA 420 Pro
Cooling
EK RVIE Monoblock
Cooling
Phanteks Asus Strix 1080Ti GPU Block
Cooling
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM
Cooling
Bitspower Fittings
Cooling
Heatkiller 200mm Reservoir
Cooling
9X Corsair ML140 Pro Fans
Case
Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ SW320 32" 4K
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Order placed - I got a BenQ SW320 & an X-Rite i1Display Pro from Amazon.de - it did not have the best price initially but had a 10% coupon so the price was 1152 Euros (without VAT) which is actually better than other listings.

Now wish me good luck with the panel lottery....

I am off to get an Epson A3 printer now to complete the "chain".....

X299 - i9 7940X
(24 items)
CPU
i9-7940X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC
RAM
64GB Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
WD Gold 10TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB
Hard Drive
WD RED 4TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Cooling
MO-RA 420 Pro
Cooling
EK RVIE Monoblock
Cooling
Cooling
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM
Cooling
Bitspower Fittings
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ SW320 32" 4K
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I have posted this elsewhere but also posting here for anyone interested.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am still playing around with the monitor and so far I am pleased with my purchase. I think I have a good panel and there are no apparent issues so far.

1) There are no green, pink, blue, magenta or any other tints on any part of the screen when projecting a full screen white background. Pure white.
2) Not any serious bleeding or clouding and very decent blacks for an IPS panel.
3) No serious issues with uniformity with the worst being 13% top right corner on a 5X5 grid. DisplayCal "Nominal Tolerance" achieved and still playing with calibration profiles to see what is best.

4) I have no issues with Palette Master software & i1Display Pro (which is X-Rites custom version for BenQ). It works although not the richest in features.

In short I am keeping it and not going to risk returning it since for my scope of work it works great. I am not doing color critical Photo Editing and I mostly care about AdobeRGB coverage so that I know how some of my projects are going to look when printed. So I really don't mind even for some less than ideal uniformity or I would head straight for a NEC or EIZO at double the price. Still, my panel looks good and I can't see anything wrong on full white, full gray or full black backgrounds.

I also got an Epson L1800 A3+ printer with the SW320 and I am glad to say that without having printer calibration equipment I am still able to match the colors on screen with the printers outpout close enough.

================================================== ================================================== ====================================

Now my experience with 4K was zero and I have to say that it was a revelation coming from a 1080p screen after my 30" 2560X1600 panel died (twice) several months ago. I just can't get enough of how crisp everything looks and how easy it is to read even smaller fonts now. I begun with 150% scaling because I was shocked but I am already at 125% at a viewing distance of 70cm and I am comfortable.

I also tried it with games and of course I was pleasantly surprised since it was also a bit step-up from 1080p. It's 60Hz of course but I don't care as I also don't game much anyway. I really enjoy the graphics though and how detailed and crisp everything looks. Framerates is not an issue since after 10 years without gaming I have a huge backlog of relatively old titles (2013-2016) that play great on my overclocked + watercooled Asus Strix 1080Ti OC (2063/12100).

My only problem now is that I have a secondary 24" 1080p screen and things ain't that nice there now. I have some issues with windows scaling on the second display that leads me to believe that having two different resolutions is not ideal.

The next step is to get a second 32" 4K monitor (tuned for contrast) so that I can have equal resolution on both and avoid scaling issues. The final plan is to have 2X 32" 4K displays and a 3rd 1080p just to be able to check what many people see. I might do the latter on a second PC though as well.

For more "serious" gaming, since I am building a dedicated gaming machine based on a 9900K or the upcoming Ryzens (if good) I will resort to a 4K TV + Gaming monitor there and be done with it. This PC will be placed in an adjacent playroom to my "man-cave/home-office" so that my kids or all of us in the family can get the most of it as well. And this concludes my experience so far with the BenQ SW320.

A word of caution though! Panel lottery is intense with this monitor and you might have to return several units before you get a decent panel. Read the reviews and buy from a store with good return policy.

X299 - i9 7940X
(24 items)
CPU
i9-7940X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC
RAM
64GB Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
WD Gold 10TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB
Hard Drive
WD RED 4TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Cooling
MO-RA 420 Pro
Cooling
EK RVIE Monoblock
Cooling
Cooling
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM
Cooling
Bitspower Fittings
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ SW320 32" 4K
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 300 (Unique: 219)
The lottery is bad on SW320 you've found on other forums where users of these monitors gather? (Graphics etc.)
You've tried 1 and it's good or had to roll a few?

How are brightness and color shifting at viewing angles around monitor left and right edges mostly? I find myself that 31.5" is a stretch in that regard even for IPS but way more usable than VA, web I notice it, elsewhere not much really.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

LoL I am either extremely lucky or blind....and yes I found many discussions on this monitor and spent a lot of time reading other people's bad experiences but also came across good ones.

I just shot full screen RED / GREEN / BLUE / WHITE through Illustrator's CC2019 "Presentaion mode" and can't see any color shifting unless I go . I have it calibrated at D65 - L120 - Native Primaries through Palette Master (which I had 0 issues with).
To my surprise I am getting pretty consistent colors on my Epson L1800 print outs from PDFs produced with InDesign & Illustrator (Color Synced through Adobe Bridge).

What can I say, I was really worried until I was able to see it but as I said it suits my needs perfectly and even my eyes feel much better with it after prolonged use. I am also using the hood that comes with it and it is a really nice addition.

Yet, I used the i1-Display pro to calibrate my second monitor which is nothing special just a Samsung S24SC750 that I had sitting unused at the office and I also get almost consistent sRGB colors with the SW320.

My main problem is that I want a second 32" 4K monitor now since I can't stand how much better the SW320 looks compared to the 24" Samsung. I am going to budget one for sometime in 2019 since the real estate and clarity I am getting has improved my productivity. For the second 4K monitor I will probably target something excelling in contrast and maybe HDR if something decent comes out next year. Otherwise I might get something like an LG UD59 just for the extra desktop space and then use somewhere else at the office when something decent in that regard comes out.

Just one more note : I can't test 10bit color in Adobe Applications with the 1080Ti but I intend to get a used Quadro sometime in the future and put it in my secondary PC and test it through that. Not a priority though.

*EDIT*
This is the one and only unit I've received - and did not go through returns.

*EDIT #2**

I run some more color shifting tests, EIZO monitor tests and well no color shifting, no tints.

X299 - i9 7940X
(24 items)
CPU
i9-7940X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC
RAM
64GB Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
WD Gold 10TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB
Hard Drive
WD RED 4TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Cooling
MO-RA 420 Pro
Cooling
EK RVIE Monoblock
Cooling
Cooling
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM
Cooling
Bitspower Fittings
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ SW320 32" 4K
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Abaidor; 12-19-2018 at 12:35 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in