AOC Q3279VWFD8 31.5" IPS 2560x1440px@75Hz + Adaptive sync - Page 15 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

AOC Q3279VWFD8 31.5" IPS [email protected] + Adaptive sync

post #141 of 158 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Rep: 305 (Unique: 222)
No it was more of an issue of Windows and NV driver. Especially on Win1803 and NV417. GPU change made no effect. Windows finally upgrading to 1809 has made it work most of the time (there are updates in 1809 to WDDM2.5, posted earlier), there are still times when after monitor sleep (Windows locked, idle) it wakes up and isn't properly synced when in VRR and I have to turn monitor off and on, that's it. After PC start there is no VRR sync issue, 99.999% "ever".

Especially when it could be made work even on 1803 with the monitor off/on to get to sync and then it worked fine in the whole range, means the monitor is fine and issue is with GPU/GPU driver/Windows etc.

Never tested Linux if NV supports Async on linux, I think they finally do on their proprietary driver. Linux is even worse than Windows when it comes to VRR, HDR, ... anything new for monitors, either doesn't support or only after years of waiting for driver or kernel update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 158 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Something else, you said that your monitor is right on 6500K with RGB 50,50,50. How do you know that if you don't have calibrator? And also, when you said gamma is near perfect 2,2 how do you know without calibrator? Did you try this test? http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php Or this one? https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/

EDIT: Could it be that I see less sharpe image when pixel clcok goes to 303,63 after overclocking?

Last edited by dmr2; 05-21-2019 at 05:14 PM.
post #143 of 158 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

I can tell color temperature by eyes what looks right to me or not, sure you don't get super accurate but guessing +-200K is not that hard. My camera can measure color temperature but it does not do it well on QD enhanced backlights but then even all the fancy toys for monitor measurement and calibration don't all measure colors, blacks, etc. all equally, some are better at one thing some at other, some suck at many some are great at most, some cost $200 some cost $2000 or 20k.

Gamma is on lagom.nl in two patterns.

Yes I went through all the lagom and standalone eizo. I don't use the not so accurate web based eizo test.

Have not had any issue with sharpness, I either get signal or OCed too high out of signal.

The only issue I see with your picture is that you use font smoothing/Cleartype which is antialiasing = blurrying the text. Looks like Cleartype due to all the colored fringing in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 158 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Cleartype is turned on by default in win10. Did you turn off cleartype?
post #145 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Of course I turn that thing off since it made it's debut It removes the blur on fonts that were not made for ClearType = all older and widely used fonts. Plus ClearType uses subpixel smoothing and adds colored fringing to all text which is damn ugly on top of it's blur.

You can also disable smooth edges of screen fonts in Win settings but that disables smoothing on fonts made for smoothing so they tend to look very different and thin, I don't disable that and they are used on some of Win (dialogs with newer fonts) and M$ apps (Office and other apps that may use this WinAPI etc. to render their output, menus, ...). It doesn't disable it for all Win dialogs and menus either (not unless you would start replacing the font with some other, if that is still possible in Win10, used to be very easy 95-XP).

Many modern apps control how they render text anyway, by what text renderer they use, with what settings. If you use Chrome you're screwed as they removed the dwrite settings option years ago now and forced default to be smoothed blurry for everyone (no sharp font on Wikipedia, OCN, ... most of web really, for you).

---

My camera not only reports color temperature in 100k steps but also XY color coordinate = tint.
This will show you gamma across all colors at 3 different brightness levels: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php This does show whether gamma is 2.2 at that brightness level too or not as well http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/sharpness.php
Brightness of the color shown, monitor brightness should have no effect unless it's some garbage monitor that changes it's internal image processing based on set backlight brightness.
post #146 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

I like cleartype actually, it reminds me on crt monitors and how they display fonts Have you tried this? https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-w...ike-mac-fonts/

Last edited by dmr2; 06-04-2019 at 06:34 AM.
post #147 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Can be this monitor overclocked to more then 75 Hz ?
post #148 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

A little bit, max is around 76,9Hz

Last edited by dmr2; 06-09-2019 at 06:31 PM.
post #149 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Quote: Originally Posted by karel88l View Post
Can be this monitor overclocked to more then 75 Hz ?
76Hz that's about it, pretty common limit on all monitors. Past 76.5Hz or so it will start nagging you with unsupported input. Your mileage may vary but you're not gonna get any noticeable refresh rate improvement to say 90 or 100Hz.
Don't think we will see nice IPS DCI-P3 with 144Hz+ electronics any time soon in 31.5" 1440p. So far all the IPS 1440p and 4k that are fed by 144Hz+ electronics are stuck at 27" and you can read the endless lottery on those panels for almost 5 years now.

If you want 144Hz+ you're gonna have to play the lottery and deal with more issues while often paying a lot lot more. Been there, tried that.

---

No I don't like font smoothing. Yes Nix systems often have endless graphical enhancements that give it a "cool" look but in the end all you get is questionable font rendering and snail desktop environment.
Small font and small resolution + font smoothing = especially blurry and smoothing issue the worst. Some fronts are designed for a specific smoothing or have it in them etc. depending on font type/format. Still this sort of smoothing is not subpixel one as ClearType is.
At high font size with high PPI resolution the smoothing has less impact and is more tolerable.
post #150 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

@JackCY off topic, is there any freesync 27"1440p 144Hz monitor with variable overdrive like gsync models? I tried acer xf270hua and that monitor looks worse on 60Hz than monitor that work only on 60Hz.

EDIT: I made new topic for this and don't see how could I delete this post so..

Last edited by dmr2; 06-11-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in