AOC Q3279VWFD8 31.5" IPS 2560x1440px@75Hz + Adaptive sync - Page 18 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

AOC Q3279VWFD8 31.5" IPS [email protected] + Adaptive sync

post #171 of 184 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Rep: 325 (Unique: 235)
Yeah mean what is now Ssync? They used to try use Vsync ON and limit fps inside the refresh part. But you don't need Vsync ON for that. Plus RTSS always lags a lot to me, be it their limiter or Ssync which is nothing more than a fancy fps limiter.
More of a cheap man's adaptive sync where you have to run fps above max refresh to be able to use it and you get the lag from RTSS.

---

Sometimes it wakes up fine, sometimes not, then there was a whole period of time with one driver where it worked fine until later it didn't anymore as Windows updates, Driver updates, ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 184 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
So what do you use to limit fps JackCy?
post #173 of 184 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Ingame limiters, because that's right in the rendering code and will/should get handled properly by the game as in it will not stall inputs etc. when it is not meant to.
RTSS, in driver limiter, what ever you inject into an app to add sleep time to the render thread will never play nicely with the application especially modern behemoths which track and detect crap ton of stuff and have complex graphics, inputs, ... then there is physics simulation as well and how that is tied to the render thread.

And for what ever reason these external limiters always add input lag, some more, some less, depends on the limiter and version. Sadly the added input lag is so high that it is even user noticeable not just on high speed camera/measurement, this may be caused because it sleep even the input of the app or the injected code that forces the sleep adds too much processing delay.

For adventure games, sure use RTSS fps limiter if you can't get it done ingame but not for FPS or racing or anything input lag sensitive.

---

The LG 32QK500 looks to have sharpness adjustment and 50% looked fairly neutral if a little sharpened, at least one can adjust it a bit, I saw both oversharpened and blurry results as well depending on settings.
Gamma 2.1 probably default settings.
Top edge again typical BLB spots.
Matte surface.
Dynamic Action Sync is probably present, which is LG's low input lag toggle, similar probably to what Samsung has to reduce processing lag.
Fairly classic glow.
Gray uniformity looked OK to a friend.
VESA mount works though he had it upside down for now and has to adjust his VESA arm. The VESA mount is lower than center.
Overdrive no smearing visible beside sample and hold, aka no crazy VA like smearing blacks etc.
The front and stand is kind of silver/gray with back and the outer frame around panel being white.
The cables face down and will protrude as on any monitor with this connector layout unless you get 90deg conversions for the ports or cables.

Seems as same BOE panel but with LG's backlight which according to review wasn't as wide gamut.

Friend likes it so far, said it's better than the AOC Q3279VWF VA he returned. I mean that one looked horrible on the picture or two I saw.

Adaptive sync... don't know, yet, told him it does work on NV now unlike his believe/knowledge that it only works with Radeon, he will try it out in upcoming days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 184 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thanks for the update. Also about the LG 32QK500. So it seems it isn´t any better than the AOC except having a better stand and probably better QC. The specs say it´s also slower with 8ms? But to me it seems that it´s not reasonable to pay the extra money.

I got games where there isn´t any in game frame limiter, but as you said, it´s mostly other games than shooters.

Still didn´t decide between the two variants of monitors I got atm, have to until the weekend, when I have to return them latest. The AOC has a more matte display than the Acer, reflections are completely eliminated. I wonder if a glossy could make the display even brighter and shinier. And it´s not as bright, which correlates to the 250cd/m² vs 300cd/m² of the specs.

As long as I cannot get rid of flickering completely in lower frames with all settings I tried (38-41Hz lower end sync) and the Off-On procedure every time I start a game or restarted windows, I´m not gonna keep it anyways. Bummer, the image quality is pretty good and response times are perfect.

Will try to make some detailed photos and videos today to show the differences.

Edit: Attached Fotos
First Photo you can see the gap (original foil still attached)
Then comparison of Q3279VWFD8 with Z321QU. It is sharper, has a grainier surface coating, comparable or even less BLB and it´s input lag is faster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06261143.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	276554  

Name:	06261141.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	722.9 KB
ID:	276558  

Name:	06261142.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	684.6 KB
ID:	276560  

Name:	06261135.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	276562  

Name:	06261134.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	276564  

Name:	06211130.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	276566  

Name:	06211121.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	276568  

Last edited by Zotho; 06-26-2019 at 01:08 PM.
post #175 of 184 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

The VA manufacturers love to use split pixel rendering and split pixel dimming for some reason on many VA panels. Which does affect appearance of text and other. Can't judge from those pictures which is neutral sharp or not especially with smoothed fonts it's nigh impossible.

The input lag has been measured "low" https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-...Responsiveness

Yeah it's a bummer NV takes it's sweet time to polish off the drivers for proper adaptive sync support. Essentially initially they only enabled what they had for their Gsync and prayed it would work so to speak with 3rd party solutions but there is more to it than sticking a head into sand, they have to cooperate, adhere to specifications which they are by now infamous for violating to their own desires (they had some proprietary DVI stuff before, which made it not work/be compatible with some, don't remember details anymore).

I have some finger nail thick gap between the plastics under status LED too. These plastic frames never fit perfect on any monitor, at least it's not shining a backlight at you through these holes, seen that too by now on some monitor with backlight leaking through/around frame away from the LCD.
There is always the option to not buy NV GPUs until they sort out their driver issues, but then there is not much else to buy with how AMD has thrown the towel in and gave up competing...

Does the default range 48-76Hz with 75Hz refresh work for you? There is not much reason to try and hunt the lower Async range, if you're getting lower than 48fps then the visuals area already pretty unresponsive and choppy.
You want to run minimum fps or at least average at least as high as your 72fps limiter max.

Response time specs are fairly meaningless. Yes the higher price of 32QK500 makes it less appealing considering the cheap 144Hz options out there (even though "all"/"most" are bad) that are not far above in price.
post #176 of 184 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
The VA manufacturers love to use split pixel rendering and split pixel dimming for some reason on many VA panels. Which does affect appearance of text and other. Can't judge from those pictures which is neutral sharp or not especially with smoothed fonts it's nigh impossible.

The input lag has been measured "low" https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-...Responsiveness

Yeah it's a bummer NV takes it's sweet time to polish off the drivers for proper adaptive sync support. Essentially initially they only enabled what they had for their Gsync and prayed it would work so to speak with 3rd party solutions but there is more to it than sticking a head into sand, they have to cooperate, adhere to specifications which they are by now infamous for violating to their own desires (they had some proprietary DVI stuff before, which made it not work/be compatible with some, don't remember details anymore).

I have some finger nail thick gap between the plastics under status LED too. These plastic frames never fit perfect on any monitor, at least it's not shining a backlight at you through these holes, seen that too by now on some monitor with backlight leaking through/around frame away from the LCD.
There is always the option to not buy NV GPUs until they sort out their driver issues, but then there is not much else to buy with how AMD has thrown the towel in and gave up competing...

Does the default range 48-76Hz with 75Hz refresh work for you? There is not much reason to try and hunt the lower Async range, if you're getting lower than 48fps then the visuals area already pretty unresponsive and choppy.
You want to run minimum fps or at least average at least as high as your 72fps limiter max.

Response time specs are fairly meaningless. Yes the higher price of 32QK500 makes it less appealing considering the cheap 144Hz options out there (even though "all"/"most" are bad) that are not far above in price.
Thanks for your evaluation.
- the VA panels I had are all unsharp at this size of the monitor. Maybe that´s less relevant at 27", but at 32" its not even close to IPS. However, I had a monitor of the same size and VA for two years and it was ok. Just if you have an direct comparison, it´s like 'WOW', it could be sharper
- NV drivers always have been worse than the AMD counterparts. And they unfortunately have the better cards, I really liked to take a Radeon card but if you take a same performing card, it´s louder and gets hotter. And consumes more power of course.
- was fiddling around a bit with CRU yesterday and got better results after clearing all the rests of previous monitors and settings by resetting all.
- I always try to get maximum fps at 70-72Hz, but loading screens tend to limit to 30fps and that flickers a lot if the CRU settings are not correct. I managed to get to 76.9 Hz, but which Sync range should I use then? Using the same 38-76 starts flickering. Even 38-77 or 41-77 didn´t work.
post #177 of 184 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Try 48-76Hz Does it still flicker? When?
When does the flicker start? You can set say 10 or something low, maybe I used 1-76Hz and then check with an app such as Pendulum by making it run as stable and accurate as possible and set fps lower and lower by one until it starts to flicker. Which for me is at 37 or 38fps, but with the 38-76Hz range I get LFC/doubling at 37-38fps to 74-76fps/Hz. As such I don't get any flicker. But some don't go this low so you can set 42-76 for example and then get tearing in 38-42fps and LFC under 38 or under 37.499 if you use default refresh of 74.997 something like that it is.

I don't think I have the 31.5" Samsung 144Hz VA sharpness pictures and from the structure picture I don't see any blurring (AOC), same panel series in 27" in a Samsung monitor was a little sharpened. AUO 31.5" 144Hz VA in LG monitors is blurry some models have sharpness adjustment but who knows if it actually works or it's as broken as on Samsung monitors. The pixel structure may not be ideal and can affect how things look yes but the butchery they do on some monitors in post processing blurring it is worse.

An LCD with minimum of black space = tight and large pixels, classic layout and dimming, with glossy surface will look sharpest.

You have to test and see what your lowest refresh capable of running Async issue free is. Mine definitely doesn't run issue free and will throw out of range at 76.4Hz+ or there about, sure I can run 76.5+ but if the monitor is turned off and on it will nag, if the computer turns off/on it will nag, etc. and you also have to check for frame skipping although with this low OC there is likely none and it nags you far sooner. I never noticed any frame skipping and it's easy to check on testufo with a camera.
post #178 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Sorry for the late reply, didn´t habe a chance to test earlier... Thanks for your ideas!
If I follow your settings very precisely, it seems to work. So no overclocking higher than 76.1Hz (although 76.9 would work without screen going blank).
Set the Sync to 38-76, it seems to flicker at the lower end of 35-38 Hz somewhere. However, in the games I play I usually never get this low, unless the loading screens are limited to 30fps sometimes.
But it seems this is a non-issue anymore, as it barely happens and got better since I lowered the base frequency as stated above.

Still waiting for a screen at 100Hz least with 32" IPS now. But it seems this monitor could be an interim solution for now.
post #179 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Set it to 40-76Hz Async or 42-76Hz, or just keep it default 48-76Hz. There is barely any need to push the lower end of Async range, I will start complaining the moment I get under 70fps. The higher end of Async... you can gain 1 Hz, that's it, this is common on many monitors with DP as they are locked and prevent any OC. Only the old DVI Korean monitors could be OCed, with a special high bitrate DVI cable.

With this there are likely to be no issues: 42-76Hz Async range, 76Hz refresh. Going any more far you're hunting for any last bit of OC left. If all else fails, leave it stock 48-76Hz Async range, 75Hz refresh, you won't really notice the difference anyway, it's 1Hz difference on the upper end.
post #180 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the suggestions, will try.

Today I tried the Lagom test http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php because in games I sometimes find it has an black crush and I can barely see something in dark scenes.
All settings I tried didn´t give me the 1st line of the contrast test, and I have issues in the black or white tests to get the difference of the boxes close to the complete black/white.
Having my old AOC Q3277PQU side-by-side this has no problems showing all seperate boxes.
As I don´t have any calibration tool, is there any chance of getting this corrected? Or is this because of a bad contrast ratio or too little nits brightness? Thanks for any advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in