AOC Q3279VWFD8 31.5" IPS 2560x1440px@75Hz + Adaptive sync - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

AOC Q3279VWFD8 31.5" IPS [email protected] + Adaptive sync

post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Rep: 285 (Unique: 210)
AOC Q3279VWFD8 31.5" IPS [email protected] + Adaptive sync

Anyone has any questions about this monitor post them below, also post any user experiences you have. I will try photograph and summarize it today or tomorrow for comparisons and hopefully not find anything deal breaking as so far it is one damn good looking monitor. Since it doesn't have any glaring major issues I didn't photograph comparisons yet, when you see me posting pictures first day I get a monitor well you can bet there is something terribly wrong with it.

This post will be updated.
Edit: added at least some photos as attachments to this post for now, hover over image thumbnail it will show you filename so you can see what it is (BLB = 3m away, GLOWFULL = to fill full view of the camera lens = around where user sits, GLOWCLOSE = 0 distance right on panel focused to infinity, a6000 and SX200 are the two cameras used)

Photos taken, awaiting processing and uploading. Shot everything at default 90 brightness and warm 50/50/50 colors, so as it comes out of the box, colors on my unit give 6500K across varying brightness grays. I don't have a brightness calibration anyway to better compare with other monitors, so you have to know what you're looking at and how to compare. Glow and BLB are quite classic IPS like but I find them less distracting than AUO M270DAN2.x panel based monitors even though this one is considerably larger at 31.5" with higher viewing angles at equal 75cm distance.

Pros:
  • perfect neutral sharpness, among the best I've seen (no sharpness adjustment available, luckily not needed)
  • 2.2 gamma on all color channels and color brightness 10%, 25%, 48% (lagom gamma), no color tints, no issues or miscalibration on this unit, Gamma 1 (default) = 2.2 on all, Gamma 2 = 2.0 bright and 2.1 dark, Gamma 3 = 2.3 bright and 2.25 dark
  • color temperature may take some time to stabilize but hovers around 6500K on warm preset (equal to user 50/50/50), 7100K normal preset and 8500K on cool preset, meaning almost no color channel adjustment needed on my unit and almost no contrast loss due to software color controls
  • good contrast for an IPS around 1360:1
  • for some this may be useful: DP, HDMI, DVI, VGA all supported
  • [email protected] defined in the monitor to be used by any GPU, no OC really at least on DP 76.5Hz about the max beyond that "no supported input signal", 72Hz seemed to work (24 multiple for movies)
  • good response times and no smearing, they could have used even higher refresh rate if they wanted to
  • very dim power status LED (can't be turned off)
  • compact but not flimsy stand
  • 31.5" 2560x1440px = no scaling issues in Windows
  • fairly nice uniformity of brightness and color temperature on my unit (was afraid of brightness uniformity and color/temperature tints from seeing reviews)
  • no input lag issues for me
  • decent colors and viewing angles especially for it's 31.5" size, looks better than VA at this size by quite a bit
  • 8bit and 8bit+FRC = 10bit are supported (10bit on 75Hz DP but not 75Hz HDMI)
  • brightness can be set low enough for night use but with the good contrast I don't feel a need to use minimal brightness (10 brightness is my lowest preset and I almost don't use it, often use 20)
  • 4 user presets accessible with a single click, I use them to set brightness 10, 20, 40, 80 but you can also add overdrive changes, blue light, gamma, unfortunately color channel changes are global and shared (not set) among all 3 user (gamer) presets, 4th preset is "Game Mode OFF" and you can adjust everything in this "preset"
  • overdrive is OK, OFF is overdrive enabled but in some rarer transitions it will still overshoot, weak OD is what I use and it helps transition times a tiny bit, medium and strong OD are a bit too much and will overshoot/artifact, no issues at all gaming on weak OD and to me it looks quite clear in motion, good readability test that was for me better than reading scrolling text on 165Hz VA, in games yes 75Hz is nothing spectacular but the image clarity isn't bad compared to higher refresh VAs and in dark transitions it's actually better
  • no inversion issues so far, no crazy image flickering from inversion, in inversion tests I don't remember hearing any buzz only later with extreme black and white fine horizontal lines or similar patterns did I hear buzz
  • no white or black clipping, 0-255 all visible.
  • clean gradients
  • at 75cm viewing distance edges do not lose pixels, only blue channel on right side and red channel on left side gets lost, the backlight appears to be well done and is not too deep to lose several pixels on edges as is a norm on 31.5" VA 144Hz panels
  • connectors face back not down = cables do not stick out the bottom into your view
  • doesn't get hot or warm as 31.5" VA 144Hz monitors and panels do, has bottom and top vents to aid heat getting out as well
  • no power brick
  • very good value, 170 EUR with tax (usually retails at 200 EUR with tax), it is an "incredible" deal for what you get considering in some aspects it's better than same size higher refresh monitors that cost 3x as much
  • flat panel that does seem flat with no bending in it unlike some other "flat" panels
  • good colors that do not look out of whack/unrealistic or over saturated but neither washed out, it has a good balance of using wider gamut but still looking great for sRGB (99% of all content)
  • all 4 borders of same thickness, not too thick either
  • pixels are not split between horizontal lines and their dimming is done as a whole pixel at once, no pixel structure issues as seen on all 31.5" VA 144Hz panels

Neutral:

• minimal glow for an IPS of 31.5" size, less bright than AUO M270DAN2.x 27", quite surprised in a good way, might even be less glow than what I remember from 24" HP Z24i (older LG IPS panel)
  • backlight bleed (BLB) present but not distracting, there is a tiny bit around top and bottom edges, mostly spots around corners
  • DCR = dynamic brightness option (as in optional ON/OFF by user in OSD) adjusts backlight level globally but fairly slowly, it's maximum brightness is limited by previously set brightness before DCR activation, adjusts slowly and won't shut off backlight when showing a pitch black screen

Cons:
  • matte panel, not semi glossy, image doesn't look as clean and crisp is it could have
  • glossy bezels, though for me they are OK right now in my lighting conditions
  • non adjustable stand height and 2 rotations, I think you can't easily remove stand leg if you get VESA attachment plate (aftermarket)
  • no VESA mount, only aftermarket
  • some minor issue with peak (0,0,255) blues, it seems darker than other blue colors, only found it on 1 color gradient image, non issue for normal use, for working with peak blue color gradients... well you would have to clip blue channel to 51 and then calibrate with a color profile in software
  • short power cord but DP cable is longer than other monitors (especially 144Hz monitors come with short cables)
  • bottom logo is glossy and if you wear something bright it will reflect
  • glow is oriented with brighter side to the left instead of top where it would be less visible
  • upper right corner may not be as tightly made as rest of panel on my unit, found when investigating the backlight bleed and tried to see if pressing some part of panel edge or frame would help resolve it, there seemed to be some give in that corner and I don't want to mess with it more than necessary
  • sRGB emulation mode uses 50/50/50 channel colors with gamma similar to 2.3 but not 2.3 setting in OSD, it has a weird step in gamma that is visible on gradients, use user color preset with user gamma presets instead if you want to calibrate an image, you can't adjust the sRGB preset much anyway
  • the soft power on/off button should be under status LED so it's easy to know that's not the menu button and also shape it's end differently from other buttons, it's easy to mistake power button for menu button and turn off the monitor when trying to enter OSD
  • glow could have been reduced/removed with a filter
  • backlight bleed could definitely be better
  • at 75Hz the image drawing speed is not fast and you will see skewed edges on dragged windows, quite normal unfortunately for all monitors to have this drawing speed tied to refresh rate
  • one of the backlight LEDs/zones may be darker/less sensitive than other and one spot on bottom edge is a little darker than rest of monitor at low brightness settings, noticeable but minimal, expected worse here from seeing review measurements of uniformity

Issues and solutions:
  • OSD renders/animates slow after changing between DP and HDMI inputs: turn monitor off/on with power button after change of input
  • With Nvidia GPU, Adjust desktop color settings - Other applications control color settings, works fine with my monitor and Nvidia GPU, could not replicate this issue, no need to: Use Nvidia settings and mess in software with the image

So far it gets my "approval" and when one considers the price it becomes almost a no brainer.

Previously I've tried:

AOC AG322QCX 31.5" VA [email protected] curved Samsung HG70 type, 1x terrible uniformity, calibration, buzzing, excessive smearing
Acer XF270HUA 27" IPS [email protected] flat AUO M270DAN2.x, 4x all defective in some way (pixel defects and excessive glow), blurry, endless tints and uniformity issues, supposedly non working overdrive in adaptive sync mode
Samsung C27HG70 27" VA [email protected] curved Samsung HG70 type, 5x all defective in some way (pixel and dark gray uniformity defects), poor glow and black viewing angles, smearing
LG 32GK850G 31.5" VA [email protected] flat AUO AUO M315DVR01, 1x defective (broken internal connection), blurry, poor color viewing angles, smearing

Yet unless something terribly negative pops up on this AOC Q3279VWFD8 I will keep it and happily use it. Higher refresh rate is great but there still isn't a single IPS almost not even VA with higher refresh that is defects free and a good buy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BLB_a6000.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	247382  

Name:	BLB_SX200_2000.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	744.4 KB
ID:	247384  

Name:	GLOWCLOSE_a6000_2000.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	247386  

Name:	GLOWCLOSE_SX200_2000.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	888.0 KB
ID:	247394  

Name:	GLOWFULL_a6000_2000.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	247396  

Name:	GLOWFULL_SX200_2000.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	665.0 KB
ID:	247398  

Name:	TEXT_cr.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	503.9 KB
ID:	247402  

Name:	SHARPNESS_2000.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	561.1 KB
ID:	247404  

Last edited by JackCY; 01-17-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 10:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
many thanks for nice review, but where on earth did you got it for 170€?
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

I will try post photos soon, have to process them but I also want to majorly sort all previous photos from other monitors so it's easier to store and share
Have way too many by now.

The deal was here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/327-...8-170-eur.html
Regularly it's 200 EUR each weekend in my country, normally it's around 208 EUR.

I think AOC and Philips mostly target central and eastern EU with their products, especially their affordable ones. You can find some "interviews" with AOC/Philips where they talk about their markets and focus, their gains in certain markets.
They also got some "award" for Q3279VWF, I think it was for the previous VA variant.

There is not much to be found about the IPS ADS panel:
https://www.boe.com/en/product/xsqj/tft-lcd/it/
https://www.oled-info.com/boe-display

Sure there are some issues with the panel/monitor but it's fairly minor compared to other LCDs especially 144Hz. Viewing angles could always be better with any LCD, even IPS, at 31.5" size it can be noticed when browsing OCN that edges get colder and darker. Even OLED doesn't have infinite viewing angles.

As far as gaming goes, I've adjusted in racing game to 31.5" especially after pushing monitor back so it's at 75cm and more far if I lean back for movies, no issues. Sure it's "only 75Hz with no sync" but it works for me, there is a tiny advantage in lower input lag on 144Hz but that is very easy and quick to adapt to.
There is no smearing, no overdrive artifacting in games except one rare case I found with Doom. No response time issues in movies unlike VA, no smearing, trailing, nothing. No issue with smearing blacks at all.

My return period is over for some days now, I am keeping this. It's a decent monitor for general mixed use and for the money I don't think there is anything better yet. It's not that much more expensive than cheap popular IPS 24" 1080p 60Hz monitors.
If you hate glow, then yes you will hate any IPS that doesn't have a glow reducing/removing filter and those almost and often do not exist in monitor size panels anymore. With the larger size and resulting bigger viewing angles I think it has OK glow for an IPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Adaptive sync is working on Nvidia 417.71 driver, monitor needs to be turned off and on as all other monitors but mine needed this to be done more than once until the adaptive sync mode stopped showing a faint duplicated previous frame. The range seems to be around 52-74fps in pendulum demo. In games it works fine if you play in this low 48-75fps range, I don't so I tested what I could and adaptive sync worked when running 72fps, 60fps, etc. in various games.

OSD does show Freesync.

There is no issue with video seeking with adaptive sync active for fullscreen and windowed mode. No 1-10Hz locking up as LG 32GK850G was doing with it's "superior and premium" Gsync module.
The driver is still borked and NVCP may fail to open because previous instance did not close properly, had this issue on other new NV drivers, same old crap from Nvidia, they don't fix anything with newer drivers, Vulkan runtime in this 417.71 driver is still incompatible with Doom demo in Vulkan mode.

Well returned to PC after being away and now the adaptive sync was again showing faint previous frame duplication.
While running pendulum demo in Gsync mode in it's settings selection, turn the monitor off and on, now it's sync properly and it will stay synced.

Windmill demo reports Freesync compatible display: NO
Adaptive sync is working fine and the toggle of freesync in windmill demo is inactive.
Again at 50fps it seems to be out of adaptive sync range.

I believe that the sync range at least with my 1060 is 52-74fps instead of monitor's advertised 48-76Hz.
Windmill demo is better than pendulum but harder to get and doesn't have user set FPS, only predefined FPS presets...
Both demos probably use Vsync below VRR range and I'm not sure either is actually fullscreen exclusive and may only be fullscreen windowed.

The monitor itself is well capable but same as with Gsync monitor there are these tiny quirks all around in Nvidia's driver that make VRR even in 2019 still kind of immature of a technology and for trouble free use no sync is very likely still the way to go.

There is definitely something wonky with the Nvidia driver, when monitor goes to sleep, such when one walks away from it for a while, and then wakes it up it will again do the faint previous frame duplication until one soft off/on the monitor. I think this has to do with when Nvidia driver engages adaptive sync, it needs to be enabled by the GPU and then the monitor turned on not the other way around. If I run pendulum demo and turn monitor soft off and on it syncs up.

Nvidia has to fix their driver for these sync issues, same thing AMD had to do. All thanks to how weird VRR is implemented that it allows for these silly issues.

---

Set range of the monitor in CRU to 36-76Hz. It will run 38-74fps synced + <38fps with LFC to at least as low as 1fps (tested now with RTSS limiting in a DX11 windowed fullscreen game, I can't see any tearing at low fps, may be different in exclusive fullscreen applications, many games run only windowed mode nowadays). No Vsync like stutters, no tearing. At near 0fps it may occasionally flicker, rare but can happen, probably no different than a Gsync monitor really when it comes to these inconsistencies.
There is no need to add FreeSync range in the extension block.

You're welcome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Q3279VWFD8 FreeSync range 36-76Hz uses LFC under 38fps.PNG
Views:	63
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	246822  

Last edited by JackCY; 01-15-2019 at 09:29 PM.
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Why is the output showing previous frame duplication?

1. The PC and monitor turn ON.
  2. There is no adaptive sync on the DP1.2 as PC is running it's POST.
  3. As such monitor turns ON in a fixed refresh mode.
  4. Windows starts and Nvidia driver loads, changes mode from fixed refresh to adaptive sync.
  5. Monitor is running in fixed refresh and GPU is pumping out VRR... not in sync, previous frame duplication.
  6. Monitor does not change to adaptive sync mode immediately, it does eventually on it's own as can be seen in OSD refresh rate reporting.
  7. Even though it switches adaptive sync ON the GPU and monitor do not sync up and keep showing previous frame duplication.
  8. Turning monitor OFF and ON while in Windows does not make them sync up, probably due to what graphical mode Windows GUI is running (Vsync).
  9. Running a 3D application (at least fullscreen) that uses adaptive sync AND turning monitor OFF and ON now... makes monitor and GPU finally sync up as monitor can "see"/detect that it's getting VRR from the GPU and GPU is running in VRR not in Vsync as it's likely doing while in Windows.

Simply put, VRR while active is not synced up on computer launch and one has to jump through hoops and loops to get the GPU and monitor to sync up.

There is no OSD toggle to force adaptive sync mode on monitor, not sure how that works on those that have it as when I tried it it had no effect and monitor worked fine even though it was receiving fixed refresh.
Nvidia still has some way to go to fix their drivers and sync up properly. Right now it seems it's running in some "dumb" mode, turns on VRR and doesn't care if it's synced up correctly hence people are going to be reporting issues left and right with some monitors.
Or AOC should update their firmware to make it sync up better. Overall it takes both GPU and monitor to cooperate, communicate and sync up. Right now Nvidia is at the beginning I think and they are used to only working with their Gsync module, 1 device that they control.
As such the NV driver is lacking what AMD's drivers have, fine tuning for monitors to sync up well. Companies have to cooperate, hopefully with the "Gsync compatible" "certification" they finally will with Nvidia who's so far been acting more like a North Korea.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 02:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Can you post some pictures of ips glow from different distances and angles?
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

I'm trying XD I always forget to filter the rest doing something else instead, I have to figure out where to upload all my monitor photos and keep filenames. Any suggestions? Google drive? Dropbox? Some gallery that can be browsed. Imgur is pretty bad for this as it doesn't have folder/album structure and doesn't keep filenames and recompresses everything.
Keep bugging me and I will remember. Hold on I will try include at least some in the OP as attachment.

There is glow, as any other IPS but I find it way more tolerable than the XF270HUA especially considering how much bigger 31.5" is over 27". On my Z24i the glow was noticeable but on XF270HUA... damn... I did not like it and there is not much lottery all 4 were similarly bad, the Q3279VWFD8 I don't find bothering especially if you have some room lights on. I changed my room light some week ago so now I get warm white on top left from it which is brighter than glow elsewhere on monitor. 40% brightness (130cd/m^2 according to PCM's measurement of their unit) is quite usable for me to watch movies, play games in my dark cave.
High brightness in a dark room, no IPS without the glow removing filter will have good unnoticeable low glow really.

For the money it's a great universal monitor.
Adaptive sync should work with AMD but with Nvidia it doesn't activate properly unless you run 3D application that forces the GPU to output adaptive sync and turn monitor off and on while this 3D app is running, after that it will do 0-75Hz adaptive synced but may blink if fps gets stuck at 0 during loading scenes, nothing brutal in my experience, one blink, sometimes that was it, if it's 1+fps it didn't blink, this is with CRU VRR range set to 36-76Hz instead of default 48-76Hz. Maybe others have better luck with NV's driver, hard to tell how well people test, mostly people report it works fine, well not so fine for me.

Last edited by JackCY; 01-17-2019 at 07:42 PM.
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 75)
Hey @JackCY , how is it going?

Still happy with your AOC Q3279VWFD8?

I am going to get a new monitor in a few weeks time and I am seriously considering it... I am not a gamer, I might play a game now and then, I just need a good all-rounder. I am willing to pay for a good monitor.

Would you suggest it to me?

What do you think about HP monitors? I currently own the HP shown in my sig and I am completely satisfied from it.

Can you please visit this page, filter the results to 27" and more, and tell me which HP, up to 400 pounds, would you get? And how does it compare with your AOC?

Thanks

Intel Core i7-4790K
(27 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
ASRock Z97 OC Formula; ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO; Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 SC GAMING 6 GB
RAM
G.SKILL F3-1866C8D-16GTX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Extreme Pro 240GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB
Hard Drive
Plextor PX-128M5S 128GB
Hard Drive
WD 1002FAEX 1TB Caviar BLACK (in enclosure)
Power Supply
Corsair AX760 (Platinum); EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
Corsair H110
Cooling
2 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000/3000 PWM (Push)
Cooling
Case Fan: 1 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM (rear, exhaust)
Cooling
Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A PWM (front, intake)
Cooling
Case Fans: 2 x Noctua NF-S12A FLX (front, intake)
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Corsair Air 540
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 TP
Operating System
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
Monitor
HP ZR2440w
Monitor
Dell U2311H
Keyboard
Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard 4000
Audio
Sennheiser HD 600
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence STX II
Other
Aquaero 5LT
Other
THRUSTMASTER GPX LIGHTBACK FERRARI F1 GAMEPAD
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Yes happy with it. I can run 40% brightness 130cd/m2 with one ceiling light and small light behind monitor (my room is not bright during day nor night) when I watch movies and play games. For browsing OCN and general use when bright screens are dominant I use 15% 70cd/m2.
My unit is around 6500K on default warm 50/50/50 preset with gamma 1 being 2.2 perfect. This can vary unit from unit on any monitor.
I've had HP Z24i before with same LG LM240WU8 panel as was found in many 24" 1200p at the time, it had glow and was noticeable even on 24". On 31.5" that old LG panel's glow would probably be ridiculously bad, so what ever BOE did with their IPS-ADS that the Q3279VWFD8 uses I think the glow is reasonable and 31.5" is not an issue with it as long as you don't expect perfect dark corners at high brightness.

I don't know if any of the newer HP's are worth getting beside for business customers. Reason being you will probably not find a decent 1440p 75Hz IPS with adaptive sync, and if they have a 4k 60Hz it might cost a fortune. HP Z line used to have zero pixel defects policy so if your monitor went bust within 3 years you get a replacement, although it may be a bad one, so you RMA it again and again and may end up with a full refund depending on your local laws.
The only HP I read people mentioning I think is 27es which is 27" 1080p 60Hz with very glossy surface and that's why it gets mentioned it's one of the rare near glossy panels.
Business monitors in general lack adaptive sync and 75Hz option, making them fairly undesirable. Back in the day the 1200p was popular for ages since there was that decent fairly semi glossy LG panel, although DELL used it with crappy strong matte coating.

As before these are the biggest downsides of Q3279VWFD8:
  • matte surface
  • no height adjustment and VESA is via adapter bought separately or DIY, I it put on a few books = problem solved and many smaller monitors need this even with height adjustment
  • adaptive sync with Nvidia GPUs depends largely on Nvidia's driver issues, maybe it works 100% for some, does not for me but I can get it to activate correctly to test it and it works 1-37Hz (LFC) + 38-75Hz fine
  • power button could be under status LED so one doesn't accidentally turn the monitor off when using OSD, the buttons are a bit too much to the center for me but you get used to it

Sure pixel response times and overdrive could be better but that goes for any LCD ever made. I don't notice any excessive smearing anywhere, no problem gaming, movies, web/documents. If you get the VA variant or any other VA you will get smearing blacks.
It's not as fast as 144Hz advertised panels but unlike those it's void of "all" of their issues.

After getting used to the size it even feels small at times, but when you use it it's not small, you do have to move your eyes more than on 27" let alone 24". You get used to the size. It's a tiny bit larger area than even "smaller" 34" ultrawides: http://www.displaywars.com/34-inch-d...7B2560x1440%7D
It's +33% in size compared to 24". http://www.displaywars.com/24-inch-d...7B2560x1440%7D

For the money around 200 EUR with tax it's a good monitor. People who buy these monitor don't often go to forums to report about it but it sells a lot. Well it's even better than it was before on top selling lists: local country wide comparison site: #2 monitor (210 EUR), #1 as always is Samsung S24F350FHU (24" 1080p 60Hz PLS=IPS with adaptive sync, 140 EUR), #4 on other shop where #1 is again the Samsung, #6 on the biggest retailer that sells here and expanded to EU again #1 is that Samsung. If sold by a shop it's always or almost always the best sold 1440p monitor, let alone 1440p 75Hz selection is very limited add to that adaptive sync and there are almost none to choose from beside this.

The viewing angles could be better, again applies to every LCD ever made, hell even OLED doesn't have great viewing angles and starts to get noticeably worse past 25deg.

For what the specs are, what it delivers and what it costs, it's a damn good value.

It's speced at 1200:1 contrast but you get around 1350:1, which is a very good result for IPS as many modern IPS are now down to even 1000:1 although the infamous 144Hz AUO is 1150:1. It can vary how good contrast an IPS has but anything above 1200:1 is good and above 1300:1 is very good result, there are not so many IPS that reach 1400:1 and they may be expensive panels (DELL 3219Q, 2718Q are some other IPS monitors with strong 1300+:1 contrast).

The strong 1350:1 contrast is definitely a plus.

Last edited by JackCY; 01-21-2019 at 10:05 AM.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 75)
Thanks a lot for your detailed reply, I appreciate it.

A couple of newbie questions:

1) Matte surface, means kind of muddy colors? Whereas, glossy means more vivid?

2) On both of my current screens, see sig_rig, I always had to adjust scaling in Windows, some times to 125% and other times to 110% (or so), due to the very tiny font size at 100% (recommended scale). Will I have to do the same on this AOC? And what about the one I will ask you below?

3) What is your opinion about the HP ENVY 27s 4K Ultra-HD ? I realize you might not have personal experience of this monitor, but I what I am asking is your "feeling" from what you read from its Specs. Will my GPU be able to handle it?

Note: I will not purchase it from HP store, necessarily. I am just linking to the official site.

Intel Core i7-4790K
(27 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
ASRock Z97 OC Formula; ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO; Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 SC GAMING 6 GB
RAM
G.SKILL F3-1866C8D-16GTX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Extreme Pro 240GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB
Hard Drive
Plextor PX-128M5S 128GB
Hard Drive
WD 1002FAEX 1TB Caviar BLACK (in enclosure)
Power Supply
Corsair AX760 (Platinum); EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
Corsair H110
Cooling
2 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000/3000 PWM (Push)
Cooling
Case Fan: 1 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM (rear, exhaust)
Cooling
Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A PWM (front, intake)
Cooling
Case Fans: 2 x Noctua NF-S12A FLX (front, intake)
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Corsair Air 540
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 TP
Operating System
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
Monitor
HP ZR2440w
Monitor
Dell U2311H
Keyboard
Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard 4000
Audio
Sennheiser HD 600
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence STX II
Other
Aquaero 5LT
Other
THRUSTMASTER GPX LIGHTBACK FERRARI F1 GAMEPAD
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in