Samsung 27CHG70 (LC27HG70QQ) displayport problem, help needed - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Samsung 27CHG70 (LC27HG70QQ) displayport problem, help needed

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Not new anymore

Rep: 35 (Unique: 32)
Samsung 27CHG70 (LC27HG70QQ) displayport problem, help needed

Hello everyone!

I recently got this monitor. Being my first foray in 1440p 144Hz, I was really excited to get it and play on it. My GPU is an MSI R9 390x. The monitor itself is great. Great colors, blacks, build quality, fast, does it all well.

So, what is the problem? Well, I connected it to my PC using the supplied displayport cable, launched a game and I was greeted by a black screen as soon as I got INTO the game, not in the menu (unless the menus are rendered scenes like in the game, as is the case for Rainbow Six Siege). The black screen stayed for about 1 second, then the panel turned back on and showed a DP input icon, like I had unplugged and replugged the cable (of course, I did nothing of the sort). A couple of seconds after that, it went black again, then back ok with the icon and so on and so forth, as you can see in the video of BF4 below.
I spoke with Samsung's support and the guy told me that it's probably a faulty DP cable. So I went on and bought another one. I tried it as soon as it arrived at my house and sure enough, the same issue remains. So I tried to troubleshoot further on my own. I went on and reinstalled all the drivers and briefly I could play normally. But the issue came back. I tried Freesync off, nothing. I tried 120Hz, 100Hz, both do the same thing or thereabouts (maybe it happens a bit less with 100Hz, but I'm not sure). Curiously, when using 144Hz, the AMD settings only give me the option to use 8 bit color, while at 120Hz and below I can use 10 bit. Curious...

Anyways, the only 2 things I tried that worked were using the screen at 2560x1440 60Hz and using the CPU's integrated graphics which, as expected, was a painful experience. But alas, it didn't do the same thing, although it was capped at 120Hz.

My questions now are :
1) What is the chance that I got 2 bad quality/defective DP cables in a row? I'll try exchanging the one I bought for another one because I know DP cable quality matters, but at 2m length I don't think that's the case (this is the cable I got http://www.logilink.com/Produkte_Log...Stecker_2m.htm ).
2) What is the chance that my GPU is the problem? I'm trying to get a friend to bring me his 1050 to try with, but he's being stupid and says no. I never had to use it with DP before, because my old screen only had HDMI inputs, so it could be bad without me knowing.
3) What is the chance that there's something wrong with the monitor itself? Bad displayport connector? Bad internals? If so, why would it only happen in game? On the desktop it's a-ok.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Phanteks Enthoo Primo, Asus Maximus VII Formula, MSI R9 390x, Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.8GHz cooled by a Corsair H110. Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb @ 2400MHz CL10 1.6V, EVGA SuperNova 1300G2, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 10:50 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 301 (Unique: 220)
I've tried how many of these... 5, never had DP issues. I've tried 1 LG 32GK850G, guess what the Gsync input board had some poor connection internally making image go bonkers artifacted at certain positions which could be altered by pushing on DP or HDMI cable so that the board inside gets a bit of pressure on it.
Cables are a huge lottery, you can buy an advertised DP 1.4 cable only to find out the cable itself is marked with HDMI and it will do 1440p85 at most.
Guess what almost all (most likely all) 32GK850G do? They blink DP input icon after about 10h of being plugged in to power, doesn't even matter that DP cable is disconnected from PC etc. it will literally wake itself from sleep to blink that stupid DP input OSD.

My best guess is the monitor is faulty, try HDMI but it may persist and even if it does not return it, exchange it, get something else. I very much doubt your unit is "good", tried 5 and never seen one, I know others have tried even 10 and haven't gotten a good one either, always some issues either stuck pixels, terrible dark gray uniformity, can also get poor response times, terrible calibration from factory, scratched plastics, etc. seen it all on just 5 units. Why is happening only in games? Maybe something to do with adaptive sync or it's your GPU but then DP is on almost all modern monitors and the default port to use so it's easy to figure out early on that a GPU has DP issue.

Try HDMI, try different GPU even if it means to bring it to someone else's PC if they don't want to lend you their GPU for a day. Heck ask a neighbor, etc.

Remember until when you can return the monitor to get your money back so you don't miss this deadline. You could buy a different GPU to test and then return it, sucks but the shop will get over it.
The fact that it's happening only in games is weird, does it do when playing movies as well? How about exclusive fullscreen movie playback? How about movie playback in HDR mode? Games in HDR mode?

Have you used your 390X before with DP output? Have you tried other 1440p 144Hz monitors before and they worked?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Not new anymore

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
I've tried how many of these... 5, never had DP issues. I've tried 1 LG 32GK850G, guess what the Gsync input board had some poor connection internally making image go bonkers artifacted at certain positions which could be altered by pushing on DP or HDMI cable so that the board inside gets a bit of pressure on it.
Cables are a huge lottery, you can buy an advertised DP 1.4 cable only to find out the cable itself is marked with HDMI and it will do 1440p85 at most.
Guess what almost all (most likely all) 32GK850G do? They blink DP input icon after about 10h of being plugged in to power, doesn't even matter that DP cable is disconnected from PC etc. it will literally wake itself from sleep to blink that stupid DP input OSD.

My best guess is the monitor is faulty, try HDMI but it may persist and even if it does not return it, exchange it, get something else. I very much doubt your unit is "good", tried 5 and never seen one, I know others have tried even 10 and haven't gotten a good one either, always some issues either stuck pixels, terrible dark gray uniformity, can also get poor response times, terrible calibration from factory, scratched plastics, etc. seen it all on just 5 units. Why is happening only in games? Maybe something to do with adaptive sync or it's your GPU but then DP is on almost all modern monitors and the default port to use so it's easy to figure out early on that a GPU has DP issue.

Try HDMI, try different GPU even if it means to bring it to someone else's PC if they don't want to lend you their GPU for a day. Heck ask a neighbor, etc.

Remember until when you can return the monitor to get your money back so you don't miss this deadline. You could buy a different GPU to test and then return it, sucks but the shop will get over it.
The fact that it's happening only in games is weird, does it do when playing movies as well? How about exclusive fullscreen movie playback? How about movie playback in HDR mode? Games in HDR mode?

Have you used your 390X before with DP output? Have you tried other 1440p 144Hz monitors before and they worked?
Hey man! Thanks a lot for your, as always, detailed reply!

So, I've been reading some horror stories about this thing online. Seems that IF you manage to get a properly working one, it's great, but that's more of a challenge than it may sound at first, as you said. Mine works fine otherwise, except for the issue I described above.

Except for the things I already mentioned I tried, I've also tried it with HDMI. It was horrendous seeing it run at 60Hz, but it worked fine, no black screen. But I also get none of it if I run DP and 60Hz. Also, Freesync on or off doesn't matter, it happens all the same. Movies/videos seem ok, but I don't have any HDR content to test.

I'm trying to get that friend of mine to lend me his GPU, but I'll see about it. I do have to try another GPU though, because in the 4 years or so that I've had the 390x, I never used it with DP. My screen only had HDMI, as I said above, and my PC never left home, so I never tried 1440p or 144Hz or DP with it. It could have been faulty all along and I wouldn't know. For now, I'll probably ask for a replacement DP cable and see how that works out. All in all though, I'm pretty pissed because I quite like this thing and it was the only 1440p model that fit my budget (It was 500€ and I had just enough to get it, I was initially planning to get a 24" 1080p 144Hz panel). I don't know if I want to get in the process of going through multiple replacement units until I find something that works (or in case Samsung improved their QA) or if I should just ask for my money back and be done with it. Maybe I should save up and get something else, like the Asus MG279Q I was initially planning on getting. I do want my Freesync.

Sigh... I probably stopped making any sense early in this post, but I'm as confused as I seem.

Phanteks Enthoo Primo, Asus Maximus VII Formula, MSI R9 390x, Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.8GHz cooled by a Corsair H110. Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb @ 2400MHz CL10 1.6V, EVGA SuperNova 1300G2, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:23 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 301 (Unique: 220)
Yeah there is not much to choose from, I've summed my 1440p 144Hz experience on bottom of post here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-m...l#post27732014

I'm not a fan of curved especially after trying it and even having flat and curved of same size to use, it messes with everything for me and I can't use it for web, movies, games, ...
Still the Samsungs are nice on paper but in reality to get a good one is a huge lottery. I don't really test HDMI other than briefly to check that it works at all, the C27HG70 should run 144Hz over HDMI but Freesync only up to 100Hz? (At least PCM mentions so.).

4790K supports 2160p60 over DP, so it might do 1440p165 but HDMI probably only up to 1440p75. Or only 1440p120 over DP?

I would not bother with the old M270DAN2.x panel based monitors, similar awful lottery + blurry issues. Wait for the newer Innolux panel based in 2019 to be in shops, it should be in Q1. The LG panel... that's probably 2020.
Samsung has JG50/52 now that are cheaper but have features cut down.

LG 32GK850F is now at 500 EUR finally on Amazon and other German shops at least since December. Finally that one dropped to a more sensible price after being dead price flat for a very very long time at 600. That would fit your budget now, or 650F variant. Or curved BenQ variant probably too.

You've already tried DP+HDMI from iGPU at max that it will allow probably so the only thing left is to try a different GPU that can do that max refresh rate if the iGPU can't. If it's doing only in games and not elsewhere it's very weird and could really be some GPU issue. Sucks to troubleshoot these things when one doesn't have spare extra hardware at hand to test with. The monitor nor GPU output should really care what the input is from (game, movie, desktop) and if it blinked all the time it could be a cable but it's not. My experience so far with poor cables is that a selected option of refresh rate will not work at all when the cable can't keep up, set it, goes black screen and reverts back.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
Not new anymore

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Yeah there is not much to choose from, I've summed my 1440p 144Hz experience on bottom of post here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-m...l#post27732014

I'm not a fan of curved especially after trying it and even having flat and curved of same size to use, it messes with everything for me and I can't use it for web, movies, games, ...
Still the Samsungs are nice on paper but in reality to get a good one is a huge lottery. I don't really test HDMI other than briefly to check that it works at all, the C27HG70 should run 144Hz over HDMI but Freesync only up to 100Hz? (At least PCM mentions so.).

4790K supports 2160p60 over DP, so it might do 1440p165 but HDMI probably only up to 1440p75. Or only 1440p120 over DP?

I would not bother with the old M270DAN2.x panel based monitors, similar awful lottery + blurry issues. Wait for the newer Innolux panel based in 2019 to be in shops, it should be in Q1. The LG panel... that's probably 2020.
Samsung has JG50/52 now that are cheaper but have features cut down.

LG 32GK850F is now at 500 EUR finally on Amazon and other German shops at least since December. Finally that one dropped to a more sensible price after being dead price flat for a very very long time at 600. That would fit your budget now, or 650F variant. Or curved BenQ variant probably too.

You've already tried DP+HDMI from iGPU at max that it will allow probably so the only thing left is to try a different GPU that can do that max refresh rate if the iGPU can't. If it's doing only in games and not elsewhere it's very weird and could really be some GPU issue. Sucks to troubleshoot these things when one doesn't have spare extra hardware at hand to test with. The monitor nor GPU output should really care what the input is from (game, movie, desktop) and if it blinked all the time it could be a cable but it's not. My experience so far with poor cables is that a selected option of refresh rate will not work at all when the cable can't keep up, set it, goes black screen and reverts back.
The fact that you have all these model numbers memorized almost makes me anxious.

Thanks a lot for your time though man! Much appreciated!

Well, I wanted a monitor now just to escape from the god awful 1080p TV I was using before. That was nice for movies and stuff (40 inch monitor? Oh yeah... SOMETIMES), but games? Nah, the input lag and pixel density were terribad. And with that said, my budget is going to be constrained for just the next few months. I just graduated and I'm gonna start proper work by the end of February if all goes well. But I want something to use until then, so I don't really want to return this and wait. The monitor I got is otherwise fine. Colors are pretty accurate (or at least seem so), there are no dead pixels, response times are as good as any other monitor in the category, viewing angles are decent... Even the curve isn't bothering me as it does on TVs. It actually bothers me a bit when surfing the web, but I actually kind of like it in games, so meh, it all balances out.

Now, I spoke with another friend and she's gonna lend me her GPU (an R9 380) tomorrow or the day after, so I'll get to try it with that. I know it's not much better than my own GPU, but at least I'll know if mine is downright problematic.

The other thing is, I'm starting to lean towards the cable again. I did a short search and I've seen at least one other person with a completely different monitor and GPU that had the exact same issue because of a bad DP cable. So, having spent 13€ already on this cable, I'll probably order a DP 1.4 certified cable that has good customer reviews from Amazon and see how that goes. I will also speak with Samsung support and ask them about it. I doubt they'll be much help on technical matters, but it's worth a try, at least.

Regarding the other monitors you referenced... I suppose the M270DAN2.x is the panel on the Asus? If so, yeah, I've heard some issues about it too and that's part of the reason I didn't buy that. As far as others go, the market in Greece is very limited on 1440p 144Hz monitors and shipping one from Germany or whatever would cost quite a bit, just exceeding my budget. I was in a pretty tight situation here, really should've gone with the 1080p options I had and make do until I could really afford better. But I yolo'ed it and I'm paying the price.

Whatever the case, by the time newer panels release, I'll be able to afford them for sure. It's the now that's problematic, but after experiencing 1440p 144Hz I don't want to go back to 1080p 60Hz and over 100ms of input lag. So I guess I'm stuck with this one for the time being, unless I RMA it or it really is the cable/GPU that's the problem. Oh well.

PS : Yesterday, I played R6S for about an hour with no problems. Then I decided to fire up Dragon Age Inquisition and it was unplayable. Black screen, back on, black screen, back on, black. Then "Not optimal settings, recommended settings 2560x1440 144Hz" message pops up and it stays that way until I alt+tab out. Then I go back to the game and it went black a few times, but then started playing. Sure didn't look like 1440p although I had it set to 2560x1440. I'm at a loss.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Not new anymore

Aaaaaand the damn thing also developed a dead/stuck pixel. Probably gonna RMA it and be done with it.

PS : @JackCY Sorry for the multiple questions mate, but I spoke with Samsung and I'm gonna return this thing. In your opinion, should I just ask for an RMA or ask for a refund and get the Acer XF270HUA? I don't like the way the Acer looks, really, but a) if it's better that doesn't really matter and b) the stand being smaller is actually a better thing for me because the Samsung stand takes up like 50% of my desk.

Last edited by tolis626; 12-18-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Tags
27chg70 , black screen , displayport , lc27hg70qq , Samsung

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in