Bad Monitor Capacitor? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Bad Monitor Capacitor?

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Bad Monitor Capacitor?

Hey guys,

I recently got the Nixeus EDG 27 and it has a weird issue.

Every day when starting the PC for the first time, there is flickering that lasts for around 3 minutes and after that everything is normal. I don't have any problems while gaming.

Today when the flickering started I changed the refresh rate from 144 Hz to 120 Hz and it instantly stopped, then I waited around 15 seconds before I put it back to 144 Hz and the flickering didn't come back.

I tried looking online and the consensus is that it's due to a bad capacitor in the monitor or its power supply, but if that's the case then why does it stop when I switch to 120 Hz?

The monitor doesn't have other problems so I don't really want to return it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 02:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
So is it the backlight that flickers on/off or low/high?. I would like to check all the power supplies on the PCBs. Something's not stabilizing correctly or quick enough, could be many things including capacitor problems. I hope it's good otherwise, it's in my price for what ever I'll get.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well the monitor isn't turning off and on because it happens too quickly so it's just flickering.

I'm noticed weird things:

If I set it to 120 Hz before going to bed and I start it the next day, there isn't any flickering but when I switch it to 144 Hz it starts happening so I have to switch it back to 120 then 144 and it's gone.

I did an experiment of setting it to 120 Hz and never going to 144 for two days and during the first day everything was fine but on the second day the flickering happened again when I booted my PC for the first time, but this time I switched it to 144 and it sopped lol.

Now I"m even more confused because it looks like the flickering isn't related to the refresh rate, but I don't think it's a cold fault/capacitor issue because it can happen even after the monitor's been on for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 08:12 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Probably issue with either input, processing or backlight control. Just RMA it. Even if you find the issue yourself you're unlikely going to be able to buy a replacement board to resolve it.

Try different cables for input and different inputs, that's about as much as you can troubleshoot.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Welp the monitor developed vertical green lines so it's dead. I'm getting a refund and ordering an ASUS MG278Q. From reading a lot on this forum and especially posts by JackCY, it's clear that 1440p IPS panels at 144 Hz just aren't there yet.

The Nixeus seems like the best bet if you really want an IPS panel with freesync thanks to it's overdrive feature, but I wasn't lucky enough to get a working model.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 06:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by BlueFllame View Post
Welp the monitor developed vertical green lines so it's dead. I'm getting a refund and ordering an ASUS MG278Q. From reading a lot on this forum and especially posts by JackCY, it's clear that 1440p IPS panels at 144 Hz just aren't there yet.

The Nixeus seems like the best bet if you really want an IPS panel with freesync thanks to it's overdrive feature, but I wasn't lucky enough to get a working model.
well at least u can get another monitor

What's the general problems with 1440p IPS 144Hz ? That's basically what I want

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in