Acer Predator X34P - washed out graphics?! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Acer Predator X34P - washed out graphics?!

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Acer Predator X34P - washed out graphics?!

Hello, I have just recently moved from the AOC U3477PQU to the Acer Predator x34p. So i fired it up for the first time, display settings are set to 3440 x 1440 at 110Hz, and jumped straight into a game (assassins creed odyssey). The game is essentially set to ultra across most graphic settings, but I immediately notice that the in-game graphics in general look very washed out, lacking any kind of texture detail. Everything just looks flat almost like a painting. It almost feels like im running at a low res except im not. Game settings are all where they need to be. I tried another game (black ops 4) and again the same thing, graphics just look bland and seem to lack much of the detail that i noticed on my previous monitor.

so.....as a test i moved back to my AOC monitor which runs at 3440 x 1440 at 60Hz and both games were back to looking pretty again!

I have messed around with the OSD settings modifying the gamma/contrast/brightness etc but this stuff has zero impact on the lack of texture detail that im seeing.

whats going on? is this just a thing with high refresh rate monitors vs standard 60hz monitors?

My other specs are as follows:

i5 8400
gigabyte 1080 gtx
16 gb crucial ballistix
windows 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
screenshoot please ?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Turn off HDR in Windows Display settings and in game. Sounds like Windows thinks your monitor is HDR capable when it is not, so the game output HDR signal to the ACER but the monitor can't understand it, leading to washed out colors.

Last edited by Anzial; 12-23-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:47 AM
In VB's Basement

What calibration do you have it set to so far within the OSD ?

I used the calibration as detailed by Toms Hardware : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...or,4473-3.html

Works well for me, but it is still personal preference.

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
These are the settings on my monitor:
Gamma 1.9
Color temp: User
Red: 36
Green: 39
Blue: 53

Of course the color calibration is different for each monitor. This is how I calibrated my monitor:

1. Gamma: go to http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php, your gamma should be around the 2.2 mark for each color. In my case gamma 1.9 in the osd was the most correct.
2. Colors: Color temperature "Normal" was almost perfect on my monitor. So I set the color temp to "normal" and checked what the values for Red, Green and Blue were in this mode. Then I switched to "User", entered these values and tweaked them a little bit from here (in my case I added 3 blue).
3. Ergonomics: make sure that the top of the screen is around the height of your eyes and tilt the monitor slightly upwards to reduce background bleed and reflections. This helps a lot for the blacks of the monitor.
4. Software: In game or Nvidia control panel > "Adjust desktop color settings": make sure that these are the default values ("other applications control color settings", "Digital vibrance" + 50% and "Hue" +0%)
5. Windows: You can still fine tune your calibration settings using Windows "Color management" or the Nvidia control panel
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Is there anyone with this monitor that happens to be playing either blackout or assassins creed odyssey? I would really appreciate some in game screenshots of the environments especially ones with hills I really need another one of these monitors to compare against so thats why im asking. HDR is disabled in both display settings and in game, i don't believe this monitor is capable of HDR. I am continuing to look into calibration of colours but i don't believe this issue can be fixed with these basic settings. My issue seems more to be more in-game with loss of texture detail especially noticeable in distant hill etc, even though the game has draw distance set to max, its as if i have this setting turned to lowest

I really appreciate all this help, its good to have someone to talk to
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 04:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
The panel has a pretty low contrast ratio (almost TN level), so this doesn't surprise me.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 06:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
DDU and re-install the GPU driver. Try a different cable.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 01:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 36)
screenshots aren't going to show you what you see on your monitor. as long as you don't have hdmi color limiting enabled you probably just have to get the gamma set correctly, or how you like it. what you are describing "washed out" is typical of low gamma, looks like Toms said the panel looks best at around 2.4 gamma, perhaps your other monitor is actually in that range and what you are used to looking at.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in