Acer VG271U Pbmiipx UM.HV1AA.P01 27" 2K 144Hz IPS @ $399?! - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Acer VG271U Pbmiipx UM.HV1AA.P01 27" 2K 144Hz IPS @ $399?!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:17 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Take a photo of this with a slight defocus, really only needs to be slight so the fine lines blend together, tiny bit (most people defocus so hard I can't tell anything then, in that case just take your normal focused photo):
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/sharpness.php

BLB: take an overexposed photo of black image (black looks gray on LCD without FALD) from 3 meters
Glow: take an overexposed photo of black image (black looks gray on LCD without FALD) from about where you sit 75-100cm (depends how wide a camera lens you have and how big the monitor is, on 28-45mm lens simply fit whole screen in the picture frame)

That's kind of the basic stuff you can easily check and photograph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
Quote: Originally Posted by linusdoo View Post
I have this on order and it will arrive early next week. If someone wants a rundown feel free to provide me a list of tests to run/things to check and I'll gladly provide. I bought this as it seems like a good jack of all trades (IPS, decent color gamut, freesync, 144htz. I do some gaming and photo editing) and I'm curious if it will live up to my hopes or fall short.
I would like to read of your experiences. Since, I'm in Canada, any vendor which might stock this monitor is OUT OF STOCK including newegg.ca (although, newegg.com has it and it seems like enough - not low stock), I can't order this. Maybe, it's good to let others be the guinea pig testers, though? Sorry, just a joke. I hope it goes well for you - I tried to find 27" IPS monitors with 1440p res and 144 hz refresh rate - I only found three: this Acer, the previous version of this Acer - it's actually more expensive than the new one and a Gigabyte Aorus IPS monitor - which is new and 144 Hz - it's $600 (USD on newegg.com) but it's not available in Canada either. Is there a pattern here? I think there might be an Asus 27" IPS, 144hz 1440p monitor, too, but it's $800 CAD - I am not going to buy it at that price so I 'technically' don't include it. I don't know if those other monitors are AOU or Innolux panels.

I would like to hear about gaming experience, using the monitor with video streaming - youtube/netflix type and/or desktop use - any issues or complaints/surprises.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 03:17 PM
Overclocker

Sound more like the issue still is as has been for years with Canada that there are no PC components retailers worth a damn. In that case you're stuck with what ever old variants Amazon offers you. Or order it from down south.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Take a photo of this with a slight defocus, really only needs to be slight so the fine lines blend together, tiny bit (most people defocus so hard I can't tell anything then, in that case just take your normal focused photo):
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/sharpness.php

BLB: take an overexposed photo of black image (black looks gray on LCD without FALD) from 3 meters
Glow: take an overexposed photo of black image (black looks gray on LCD without FALD) from about where you sit 75-100cm (depends how wide a camera lens you have and how big the monitor is, on 28-45mm lens simply fit whole screen in the picture frame)

That's kind of the basic stuff you can easily check and photograph.
Please see below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6282.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	926.2 KB
ID:	250070  

Name:	DSC_6280.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	4.41 MB
ID:	250072  

Name:	DSC_6274.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	250074  

Name:	DSC_6273.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	7.45 MB
ID:	250076  

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by noobee View Post
I would like to read of your experiences. Since, I'm in Canada, any vendor which might stock this monitor is OUT OF STOCK including newegg.ca (although, newegg.com has it and it seems like enough - not low stock), I can't order this. Maybe, it's good to let others be the guinea pig testers, though? Sorry, just a joke. I hope it goes well for you - I tried to find 27" IPS monitors with 1440p res and 144 hz refresh rate - I only found three: this Acer, the previous version of this Acer - it's actually more expensive than the new one and a Gigabyte Aorus IPS monitor - which is new and 144 Hz - it's $600 (USD on newegg.com) but it's not available in Canada either. Is there a pattern here? I think there might be an Asus 27" IPS, 144hz 1440p monitor, too, but it's $800 CAD - I am not going to buy it at that price so I 'technically' don't include it. I don't know if those other monitors are AOU or Innolux panels.

I would like to hear about gaming experience, using the monitor with video streaming - youtube/netflix type and/or desktop use - any issues or complaints/surprises.
So far I'm happy with it. There is some BLB but not anything I've noticed so far in games. With freesync enabled all looks smooth.

There have been some nuances/drawbacks. Below are my thoughts:
- On my PC/RX580 I can only enable 10bit at 100hz, not 120hz as others have said. Kind of a bummer, as I was hoping on not needing to change back and forth. Not a deal breaker for me. *(edit) Should have done some homework I was connecting via HDMI, just switched to DP and now I'm at 120hz.
- Windows 10 didn't recognize the driver for this model. Came up generic. I loaded the driver from Acers site so the model now shows correctly.
- For those interested in color gamut its 100% RGB, 88% Adobe RGB, and 86% NTSC.
-I calibrated this with a Spider 5 pro, it did make a difference, but not major. I zipped the calibrated .icm if anyone is interested in trying.
-Acers menu/buttons are kind of janky, but not as terrible as the VA monitor I returned (Acer ET322QK 32” 4K). Setting reset at random, plus it would freeze/glitch constantly. 0/10 recommend on the Acer ET322QK 32” 4K.
Previous model I used with an Asus MX 27in 1080p. I'm very happy I went back with an IPS after using the VA ET322QK for few weeks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Acer VG271U-2.zip (2.2 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by linusdoo; 01-29-2019 at 06:31 PM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:22 AM
Overclocker

Probably has a subtle blur as previous Acers, you can try blurring the photo a little more as example below:

If the finer lines squares are darker then the monitor blurs
A perfect untouched neutral sharpness and gamma makes the whole picture blend in as you can see here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-m...tive-sync.html

Hard to tell on the black screen photo, is it BLB shot? There is no EXIF data so I can't tell with what lens and how far it is. But it looks more like BLB photo with some BLB on the monitor. I have glow and BLB photos somewhere burried in XF270HU thread and my VA vs IPS thread in signature if you want to compare vs AUO IPS panel. The glow is fairly sensor type and lens FOV sensitive though. It may not be easy for you to capture on photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SHARPNESS_2000.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	543.0 KB
ID:	250408  

Name:	sharpness results.png
Views:	45
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	250410  

Last edited by JackCY; 01-30-2019 at 06:28 AM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Since VG270U is AUO and VG271U is probably the same specs it's likely an Innolux instead, or it's simply stand differences
One is 1080p and one is 1440p, both are available from Mwave in Australia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in