Nvidia Will Support Adaptive Sync (Freesync)! - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Nvidia Will Support Adaptive Sync (Freesync)!

post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by AstroCat View Post
I'd be very curious if someone does an independent Gsync round up comparison test of a bunch of monitors so we can see really which ones will work with Gsync and how well.
This is the only list I've seen (and they only tested with the pendulum demo):

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests...ync-compatible

They do include some regular g-sync and non-VRR monitors in the list, but you can filter those out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Anyone tested new ASUS VG279Q ?

[email protected], Gtx1060 6gb, Hp 27ea
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 07:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by HiCZoK View Post
Anyone tested new ASUS VG279Q ?
Yep and I will probably return it unless they can fix the drivers. All things considered the monitor is very good. Picture quality is very good after calibration, colors are vibrant, contrast is better than my XB271HU Gsync monitor.

1080 @ 27 inches is noticeable but a lot smoother for fast paced shooting games.

Now as far as gsync compatible. Yes it works but I've been experiencing lock ups or my whole system seems to freeze. Doesn't happen on my Acer Gsync monitor. So for now I've stopped using the monitor until hotfix drivers are released. The panel handles motion blur as well the Acer but the Acer is 1440p which just looks better and helps with spotting enemies even with lower fps.

I was also looking forward to the ELMB mode (ULMB equivalent) with the IPS colors. The panel looks good with ELMB mode as far as colors, brightness and contrast. But there is way too much ghosting. Compared to Nvidia's ULMB it is horrible.

So like I said before I'm leaning on returning the monitor for something that can handle Low motion blur mode better. But if you don't need that mode the panel looks pretty good and gsync compatible drivers was smooth when it works. I also see scan lines sometimes. Not during gaming but mostly on the desktop.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:12 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 300 (Unique: 219)
Quote: Originally Posted by gerardfraser View Post
It is just awesome.

4K Adaptive Sync /FreeSync Monitor running G-sync on Nvidia card.
Windmill Demo/Pendulum Demo test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=RkxLnMk5fs0
Is this screen capture? LOL
Even from that to me it looks as if you're running Vsync with stutter. So much stutter.

If you want to make a video, grab a video camera at best high speed one and record the monitor itself.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:36 PM
ORL
H20 only!

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
This was an inevitable direction change. The reason this became reality is due to the fact the "sync" technology will continue to evolve. Outdating older models of monitors which had hardware solutions implemented. Essentially taking this tech in a direction where you would ultimately have to pair monitors to GPUs and as such upgrade Monitors every so many GPU upgrades. This paired with a substantial premium markup, and a competitor who had achieved a universal alternative reducing costs across the board by not requiring matching hardware pairs.... need I say more? nVidia got greedy with the tech, AMD made a much better development at far less cost by stopping the potential of the latter, not substantially better in performance, but in future scalability.

The notion of integrated G-Sync chips will die off now as time travels on. Proprietary hardware restrictions will get crushed by the open source forking of AMDs freesync in the long run. This is a big win for the consumer, nVidia will try and play the hero catering to the masses with this. The truth is, it is AMD who is the sidelined hero here, had they followed suit with hardware solutions, we wouldn't be here today.

The only props I have towards nVidia on this is that they finally did it, if only by being forced to in the evolution of competition.

I am very happy though for all of you nVidia users though! This opens up your options massively and is FANTASTIC news!
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:18 PM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
Quote: Originally Posted by ORL View Post
This opens up your options massively and is FANTASTIC news!
So much so that nVidia owners now have access (albeit limited in some cases) to VRR universally, while AMD owners are limited to Freesync monitors. It's kind of funny how that turned out. If I didn't know Jensen well, I'd chalk it up to a happy coincidence.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:46 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 300 (Unique: 219)
I think Nvidia gave the DP VRR now also as a PR show to appease people a bit after their recent endless hate due to performance, power consumption and pricing of Turing. They have to offer VRR with HDMI2.1, I think it's mandatory unlike optional VRR in DP1.2. So they get better "press" by offering DP1.2 VRR now rather than having it only for next cards in 2020 with HDMI2.1. Turing as far as I know is NOT HDMI2.1, only 2.0b. Nvidia needed something to lower the hate toward them that is building up. Obviously anti monopoly is not working in US at all, governments don't know how to deal with monopolies and oligopolies in a digital age, well to be honest they outright support it by allowing corporations to buy any possible competitor before it even becomes a threat on market.
It will take some time before China starts spitting out their own CPU and GPU designs.

Well from the recent input lag measurements of AMD vs Nvidia and the DP VRR, AMD has lower latency even when no sync is used. Not all is greener on Nvidia's lawn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in