Is this a lot of BLB? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Is this a lot of BLB?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
Not meaning to hijack the thread.

But speaking of backlight uniformity - is there any known way to replace edge backlighting with a direct one? I know it involves a lot of work, icluding prism replacement and maybe installing a new LED driver. Could there be any pre-made kits? Is there any monitor modding forum threads or other resources?

I've recently been trying to improve backlight uniformity on my monitor (MG279Q) via experimenting on metal frame pressure points, and the results were quite weak with a lot of time investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 04:25 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 319 (Unique: 231)
You could make your own monitor modifications or even whole monitor but the costs are insane and you need to get "prototyping" boards that you can program. There is that 4k modding site that sells kits for 4k120, 1080p480. Haven't seen backlight kits offered by anyone. You want to replace edge lit with FALD... well good luck getting the diffusion plastic layer anywhere other than from other FALD panels. Plus the complexity of controlling FALD well, unless you want a useless whole screen ON/OFF FALD which would be a royal waste of everything.

---

killuchen: post pictures of your received monitor. You can get some reasonable low BLB with the revision Acer uses but glow is always present, sometimes more sometimes less.
Unless you're getting this at low price it doesn't really make sense to bother with M270DAN2.x.

There is XV272U, VG271U now and 27GL850G to arrive (who knows when, Q2?), maybe more but I haven't seen anything, hard to navigate what is new at CES.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
You could make your own monitor modifications or even whole monitor but the costs are insane and you need to get "prototyping" boards that you can program. There is that 4k modding site that sells kits for 4k120, 1080p480. Haven't seen backlight kits offered by anyone. You want to replace edge lit with FALD... well good luck getting the diffusion plastic layer anywhere other than from other FALD panels. Plus the complexity of controlling FALD well, unless you want a useless whole screen ON/OFF FALD which would be a royal waste of everything.

---

killuchen: post pictures of your received monitor. You can get some reasonable low BLB with the revision Acer uses but glow is always present, sometimes more sometimes less.
Unless you're getting this at low price it doesn't really make sense to bother with M270DAN2.x.

There is XV272U, VG271U now and 27GL850G to arrive (who knows when, Q2?), maybe more but I haven't seen anything, hard to navigate what is new at CES.

I'll post some pictures later today when I have time. It's the Acer XB271HU model. I love it so far. The BLB doesn't look bad at all tbh in person. I traded my Benq xl2540 for this monitor. I love the 2k ips panel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 167 (Unique: 105)
In practical usage, on an IPS, I find that BLB and glow sort of blend together since BLB tends to happen in the corners where you see IPS glow anyways.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
RAM
TeamGroup T-Force 16 GB (2x8) Pro Dark (B-die TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum SSR-750PX
Cooling
Corsair H80i (not V2 or GT)
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z (OEM)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in