Lenovo Legion Y27gq - 240 Hz / 2560x1440 G-Sync - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Lenovo Legion Y27gq - 240 Hz / 2560x1440 G-Sync

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:57 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
12345us3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 225
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
How come?
https://www.computerbase.de/forum/th...#post-22151338
12345us3r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 06:59 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Malinkadink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,951
Rep: 107 (Unique: 83)
$1k? Damn, what are they smoking? $800 fine, $600 for a freesync version fine. But $1k?

I've been looking forward to the 240hz 1440p monitors but i really dont want TN anymore. I want one of LGs newer Nano IPS 1ms IPS monitors at 1440p 240hz. I'll settle for current 1ms TN speeds with IPS and let TN move on to faster 0.5ms.

The prices of these monitors really makes me appreciate how i got my C7 last year for $1200 brand new lol.

Malinkadink is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:13 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
MistaSparkul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,050
Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post
$1k? Damn, what are they smoking? $800 fine, $600 for a freesync version fine. But $1k?

I've been looking forward to the 240hz 1440p monitors but i really dont want TN anymore. I want one of LGs newer Nano IPS 1ms IPS monitors at 1440p 240hz. I'll settle for current 1ms TN speeds with IPS and let TN move on to faster 0.5ms.

The prices of these monitors really makes me appreciate how i got my C7 last year for $1200 brand new lol.
Yeah but remember when the early 240Hz TN panels which are marketed as 1ms had some trouble in certain transitions? This is the Asus PG258Q: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/a...response_8.png

I think the whole "0.5ms" thing is necessary in order to ensure that all transitions are below 4ms for 240Hz operation. The new LG IPS may not be under 4ms overall despite being marketed as 1ms.

Z370
(16 items)
X99
(14 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
Msi Z370-A Pro
GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Cooler Master V750
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Cooler Master H500P
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus XG248Q
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue
Mouse
Logitech G402
Audio
AKG K7XX
Other
SMSL M6 DAC/AMP Combo
CPU
I7 5820k
Motherboard
Msi X99S SLI Plus
GPU
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 4TB 7200rpm
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000
Case
Corsair 750D
Monitor
Acer X27
Keyboard
Corsair K63 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech G900
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250ohm
Other
Objective ODAC+O2 Amp
▲ hide details ▲
MistaSparkul is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 02:26 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
reqq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 319
Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by justnvc View Post
With a big mousepad it's hard to get the monitor close enough without using the stand at an extreme angle, and then it comes between keyboard and pad and it looks horrible.

Personal preference really. I just prefer the Zowie and basic Dell stands and would rather avoid spending extra on a mount. The next Alienware stands are more basic too based on pro player feedback - or so I'm led to believe anyway.

They're really annoying unless you prefer to play with the monitor much further back that's all. This is one of the better Y stands because its flat so keyboard legs will usually be enough if needed, but it's still unnecessary in design.

Looking forward to your thoughts if you buy.
This. Many of us play with tilted keyboards and that protrusion with make it impossible have nice keyboard placement. But if it got VESA this doesnt matter.
reqq is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:34 AM
mfw
 
ToTheSun!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Terra
Posts: 6,261
Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
Quote: Originally Posted by MistaSparkul View Post
Yeah but remember when the early 240Hz TN panels which are marketed as 1ms had some trouble in certain transitions? This is the Asus PG258Q: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/a...response_8.png

I think the whole "0.5ms" thing is necessary in order to ensure that all transitions are below 4ms for 240Hz operation. The new LG IPS may not be under 4ms overall despite being marketed as 1ms.
I think the 1ms marketing is because of strobing. Technically, it's correct. Ideally, the vast majority of transitions will happen during a backlight off phase.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
ToTheSun! is online now  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
CallsignVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saudi Arabia (US Military)
Posts: 8,240
Rep: 519 (Unique: 359)
Yes, monitor manufacturers are now using their strobe numbers as the "pixel speed". IPS isn't going to be anywhere near as fast as TN, especially these new 0.5ms TN panels.

CallsignVega is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:31 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
MistaSparkul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,050
Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
Wouldn't they advertise it as "MPRT" if it's strobing response time? Usually I see "GtG" for non strobed response time advertisement and "MPRT" for strobing. If that new LG 240Hz IPS is marketed as 1ms MPRT then I have even further doubts that it will be well suited for 240Hz.

Z370
(16 items)
X99
(14 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
Msi Z370-A Pro
GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Cooler Master V750
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Cooler Master H500P
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus XG248Q
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue
Mouse
Logitech G402
Audio
AKG K7XX
Other
SMSL M6 DAC/AMP Combo
CPU
I7 5820k
Motherboard
Msi X99S SLI Plus
GPU
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 4TB 7200rpm
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000
Case
Corsair 750D
Monitor
Acer X27
Keyboard
Corsair K63 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech G900
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250ohm
Other
Objective ODAC+O2 Amp
▲ hide details ▲
MistaSparkul is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:14 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
gene-z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 909
Rep: 37 (Unique: 34)
Wish they would make a 24.5" version without the harmon kardon speakers and use freesync instead. I think a lot of that $1k price tag is from G-Sync and having a 'premium' audio name like harmon kardon for the speakers. Going to be interesting to see the prices from competitors if they've gotten their hands on the same panel. I can't justify spending $1k on a TN panel, unless it was absolutely perfect from lottery bs every monitor seems to have.

These new 0.5ms were rumored to be better, but seems like it was all BS. I read on blurbusters about improved viewing angles, better colors, etc - but the MSI 0.5ms released and everyone said it looks like the typical last gen TN with no improvements. And they advertise 0.5ms, but if you go on the MSI site, the spec sheet is listed as 1ms. Same exact thing with the new Acer, advertised as 0.5ms, but spec page listed as 1ms.

If you check the LG spec sheet, it's listed as 0.5ms with 'extreme' OD. So it's likely not going to be practical to use extreme 0.5ms, unless 'extreme' is just marketing bs to imply it's very good. Every 'extreme' od setting I've tried on every monitor was always the worst with trailing, overshoot, and other issues you typically get with the fastest overclocked overdrives.

Last edited by gene-z; 01-13-2019 at 10:27 PM.
gene-z is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:35 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
MistaSparkul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,050
Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by gene-z View Post
Wish they would make a 24.5" version without the harmon kardon speakers and use freesync instead. I think a lot of that $1k price tag is from G-Sync and having a 'premium' audio name like harmon kardon for the speakers. Going to be interesting to see the prices from competitors if they've gotten their hands on the same panel. I can't justify spending $1k on a TN panel, unless it was absolutely perfect from lottery bs every monitor seems to have.

These new 0.5ms were rumored to be better, but seems like it was all BS. I read on blurbusters about improved viewing angles, better colors, etc - but the MSI 0.5ms released and everyone said it looks like the typical last gen TN with no improvements. And they advertise 0.5ms, but if you go on the MSI site, the spec sheet is listed as 1ms. Same exact thing with the new Acer, advertised as 0.5ms, but spec page listed as 1ms.

If you check the LG spec sheet, it's listed as 0.5ms with 'extreme' OD. So it's likely not going to be practical to use extreme 0.5ms, unless 'extreme' is just marketing bs to imply it's very good. Every 'extreme' od setting I've tried on every monitor was always the worst with trailing, overshoot, and other issues you typically get with the fastest overclocked overdrives.
Msi and Acer have 1440p 240Hz monitors as well? If they do I'm interested one as a step up from my Asus XG248Q 240Hz panel. Would definitely ditch the speakers in order to lower the price.

Z370
(16 items)
X99
(14 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
Msi Z370-A Pro
GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Cooler Master V750
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Cooler Master H500P
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus XG248Q
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue
Mouse
Logitech G402
Audio
AKG K7XX
Other
SMSL M6 DAC/AMP Combo
CPU
I7 5820k
Motherboard
Msi X99S SLI Plus
GPU
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 4TB 7200rpm
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000
Case
Corsair 750D
Monitor
Acer X27
Keyboard
Corsair K63 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech G900
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250ohm
Other
Objective ODAC+O2 Amp
▲ hide details ▲
MistaSparkul is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:42 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
gene-z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 909
Rep: 37 (Unique: 34)
Quote: Originally Posted by MistaSparkul View Post
Msi and Acer have 1440p 240Hz monitors as well? If they do I'm interested one as a step up from my Asus XG248Q 240Hz panel. Would definitely ditch the speakers in order to lower the price.
Nope, they're both 1080/24.5", "0.5ms"

https://us.msi.com/monitor/Oculux-NXG251R.html
This was advertised as 0.5ms all the way up until launch, then magically 0.5ms marketing vanished when it launched. This should maybe give you a headsup that 0.5ms isn't there yet, and maybe Lenovo includes it as an 'extreme' profile. Who knows, we will have to wait and see, as response times have a long history with false advertisement.

https://acerjapan.com/monitor/gaming/kg1/KG251QIbmiipx
0.5ms over all the advertising, if you scroll down to spec sheet, it's listed as '1 ms(GTG)'.

Last edited by gene-z; 01-13-2019 at 10:47 PM.
gene-z is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off