PLS,IPS,VA? which Panel has the Rich Black Color? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

PLS,IPS,VA? which Panel has the Rich Black Color?

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
PLS,IPS,VA? which Panel has the Rich Black Color?

Hi

I want to buy a Monitor

I Play Horror Scary Dark Games and I don't want to buy a monitor that has Backlight bleeding or poor black Color

The Black color is important for me

what panel to look for.. PLS, IPS or VA?

thanks alot for your time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6JnCCEzkz9oS7qtnjA51mjkmP-9Ucz3qAacwB8HWby0.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	245608  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
OLED.

Z370
(16 items)
X99
(14 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
Msi Z370-A Pro
GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Cooler Master V750
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Cooler Master H500P
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus XG248Q
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue
Mouse
Logitech G402
Audio
AKG K7XX
Other
SMSL M6 DAC/AMP Combo
CPU
I7 5820k
Motherboard
Msi X99S SLI Plus
GPU
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 4TB 7200rpm
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000
Case
Corsair 750D
Monitor
Acer X27
Keyboard
Corsair K63 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech G900
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250ohm
Other
Objective ODAC+O2 Amp
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 63 (Unique: 53)
I have a plasma TV specifically for this type of usage. The blacks are deep and inky in a way other display technology does not reproduce. For horror games and horror movies it is superb. And at 900 watts I trip the breaker if I don't have it on a dedicated circuit apart from my PC.

Aside from using old and hard to source products, OLED is quite good for dark images as the pixels are turned off rather than being lit up externally like IPS. IPS bleedthrough is quite high.

According to this site, VA display offers somewhat better black reproduction than IPS or PLS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:46 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 911 (Unique: 540)
OLED. If you want great black levels, you game on a OLED TV. Nothing else is even in the same realm of image quality. If you can't afford OLED or don't want a TV as a monitor, then VA monitors offers the next best contrast ratio but it's still nothing in comparison to what an OLED TV offers. We'll have OLED monitors in the future, but who knows exactly when.

Source: I've been gaming on OLED TVs for about 5 years now. I managed to even get a 65" to work by wall mounting it and having a mobile keyboard/mouse desk setup which allows me to sit about 6-8 feet away.

Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
I have a plasma TV specifically for this type of usage. The blacks are deep and inky in a way other display technology does not reproduce. For horror games and horror movies it is superb. And at 900 watts I trip the breaker if I don't have it on a dedicated circuit apart from my PC.

Aside from using old and hard to source products, OLED is quite good for dark images as the pixels are turned off rather than being lit up externally like IPS. IPS bleedthrough is quite high.

According to this site, VA display offers somewhat better black reproduction than IPS or PLS.
Correct me if I am wrong but you're making it sound like plasma is better than OLED for black levels, but plasma has been dead for years now because it offers nothing that modern OLEDs can't do much better. I had the best Panasonic plasma TV ever made (about 8 grand at the time), and my first OLED ~5 years ago made me get rid of it. My newer 2018 LG OLED is even better.

Last edited by Murlocke; 01-11-2019 at 02:03 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Obvious answer is VA and it variants like amva or mva.
BUT I have noticed that good glossy ips monitors have much improved black depth perception. My hp 27ea have such a good blacks that benq ew277hdr model looked nearly identical near it

[email protected], Gtx1060 6gb, Hp 27ea
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 293 (Unique: 214)
OLED.

If you can't buy that in the size you want then any VA with above 3000:1 that has good black viewing angles and low VA glow, the only I've seen is the AUO 31.5" 1440p 144Hz VA in LG 32GK850F and PX329 etc. If you're on budget then try Q3279VWF (the non D8 older VA variant), but it is even more smearing in blacks as all VA smear blacks like crazy.

Of course as glossy a surface as you can get if you play dark games in a dark room. The Q3279VWF has fairly almost glossy surface, the AUO panel is semi glossy.

Almost glossy IPS can also look great but they are kind of rare at least those with good 1300+:1 contrast.

Do you want dark blacks, then OLED or VA. Do you want fast response blacks then OLED or IPS.

Not all VA have good blacks viewing angles and low VA glow though, sometimes it's so bad on them that you may as well get a good IPS instead.

If you can get FALD then FALD is great but also costs a lot on some monitors that have a sensible amount of zones.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 04:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 21)
Lowest glow VA models are the LG 32GK850G etc. panel (2200-3000:1), BenQ EW277HDR panel (3000:1), Samsung S34J550 (5150:1), Philips BDM3270QP2 (>5000:1), old AOC Q3279VWF (4000:1), Philips Momentum 43 (4000:1 + Local dimming). They're all flat I noticed, the curved ones seem to have more issues with glow and blacks. Response times are really bad one some of them though, the 144Hz panel in the LG seems to be the one with least problems.
And the 384 zone FALD IPS are great of course if you have the money to spare. Still no OLEDs at smaller sizes
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 12:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
VA is the best as far as a PC monitor goes, but it's still really not all that great.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 12:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by Sedolf View Post
And the 384 zone FALD IPS are great of course if you have the money to spare. Still no OLEDs at smaller sizes
Those things are not really even that good. 1500:1 ANSI contrast with the FALD on. Tons of blooming.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 12:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
OLED.

If you can't buy that in the size you want then any VA with above 3000:1 that has good black viewing angles and low VA glow, the only I've seen is the AUO 31.5" 1440p 144Hz VA in LG 32GK850F and PX329 etc. If you're on budget then try Q3279VWF (the non D8 older VA variant), but it is even more smearing in blacks as all VA smear blacks like crazy.

Of course as glossy a surface as you can get if you play dark games in a dark room. The Q3279VWF has fairly almost glossy surface, the AUO panel is semi glossy.

Almost glossy IPS can also look great but they are kind of rare at least those with good 1300+:1 contrast.

Do you want dark blacks, then OLED or VA. Do you want fast response blacks then OLED or IPS.

Not all VA have good blacks viewing angles and low VA glow though, sometimes it's so bad on them that you may as well get a good IPS instead.

If you can get FALD then FALD is great but also costs a lot on some monitors that have a sensible amount of zones.
J/w...How bad is the smearing at lower frame rates (60fps)?

Not sure exactly what form factor you're looking for but you have a few options:
VA: smearing and aren't as vibrant as IPS, most TVs are VA and look better than monitors

OLED: very limited sizes right now, burn in is an issue but many manage to prevent it with a few desktop changes

Then there is the new Hisense TVs which will be out this year. Custom panel using 4k IPS on the front for color and VA behind it for much better blacks. The drawback is the processing required which could create some lag. It could launch without HDMI 2.1 so like every TV you'd be limited to 120hz/1080p or 4k/60hz.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in