New monitor question? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

New monitor question?

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
New monitor question?

So I'm in the market for a 144hz monitor. What I need to know what is better LED or LCD. Also is there any real difference between 1ms and 3ms?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:57 PM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2728 (Unique: 1621)
What matters is the panel type as you got TN VA and IPS and TN has the lowest response time of the 3 but also the worst colors and the worst viewing angles
It would also be helpful if you told us what monitor resolution you are looking at as there are pretty much no 1080P 144 Hz monitors with IPS panels

Seravee
(29 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod E series PSU cable set
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Was looking at 1440 but a bit to much right now so it will be a 1080. T was looking at 2 monitors. Both have VA panels.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ro...?skuId=6120904

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-opt...?skuId=6211720

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 03:50 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2728 (Unique: 1621)
1080P on a 27 inch will give you a very low pixel density of 81,59 so it might not look all that great unless you sit far enough away from it
1440P on a 27 inch is 108,79 compared and if we where to compared 81,59 thats about the same pixel density as a 54-55 inch 4K TV

You are better off with either a 24 inch 1080P monitor or a 1440P 27 inch monitor unless you dont mind the low pixel density
Edit: also what GPU do you have and do you want Freesync or G Sync?

Seravee
(29 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod E series PSU cable set
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by shilka; 01-12-2019 at 03:54 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Wait and save man. The monitor is as important as the GPU if not more so. IMO IPS is the best of both worlds as a typical gamer who plays a little of everything, fast enough for FPS and pretty enough for eye candy. 1440p IPS is the best upgrade I've made to my rag and I'm very glad I bought the one I did.
I see people all the time complaining about IPS glow and I was blessed with a cheaper monitor that doesn't have a single noticeable issue from all of your normal angles. I'm sure I could find some glowing or w/e if I actually tried but IMO if you don't notice it, don't try to. Ignorance is bliss.
My best advice for buying a 1440p IPS display is to not spend over $400 unless you really don't care about money. The more expensive ones seem to have the worst lottery chances from my experience on OCN.
IPS isn't perfect but it really is a great option for a typical person/gamer. The main draw back is the IPS glow and lighter blacks than VA and especially OLED. I'd love darker blacks but I wouldn't be able to stand the smear and BLB.

If you must go with 1080p I'd want a 24" because of the density, I came from a 27" 16:9 TN panel and if I had to go back I think I'd just stop gaming. That being said the newer TN panels aren't as bad as what I had, some look pretty good for gaming but aren't as vibrant as IPS.

I have a Nixeus EDG and in my case they did a great job binning. I waited till eBay had a 15% off sale and bought the one with the junky stand for $330 and put my spring loaded stand from my old HP monitor on it. No complaints at all, YMMV.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:58 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 309 (Unique: 225)
LED is a type of backlight as in LED instead of CCFL. These monitors are often cheap TNs.
LCD is: IPS, TN, VA and each has many brand names and variants.

Buying 1080p in 2019 is stupid when you can get a nice 1440p under $200.

If you're in for 144Hz+ you're in for a bad surprise, most of the panels suck badly. You can try VA from AUO in 31.5" if you're OK with the black smearing of VA and it's low viewing angles.
If you're after IPS then 27" is the only thing around for it and you're better off waiting a few months until new monitors with panels from Innolux and LG get on market, some are but it seems they reused old electronics with same old issues that the AUO panel based monitors had since 2014, they don't learn from customer complaints and customers returning products due to their design and manufacturing mess ups.
TN... if you only game and only game, then sure get a 240Hz TN, I think 1440p ones are getting on market and never look back. These are as fast as it gets for LCD. If you can get one with strobing, damn, near CRT like motion sharpness.

You really need to set your budget first. I've went through all the 144Hz IPS and VA panels available in 2017/18 and ended up with a cheap 75Hz that looks better than all of them and has no issues...
Unfortunately the 144Hz monitors tend to be gamery marketed and their quality is often very poor with terrible lotteries where some you simply cannot ever buy defect free unless you get a cherry picked review sample, you can try 10 units and return them all due to defects... it's that bad with some.

The only 144Hz I don't mind recommending is the AUO 31.5" 1440p 144Hz VA found in LG 32GK850 and PX329 in flat variant. Even then you may need to try a few to get a defect free good one and also watch out for the endless blurry image sharpness issue.
XV272U so far from user reports looks to be blurry and the one unit was also terribly BLB affected. VG271U... don't know, probably blurry too, unlikely Acer changed the firmware for one new model and not the others.
LG 27GL850 who knows when that will be in shops.
Gigabyte maybe with the Innolux panel, again who knows when.

The infamous Nixeus EDG 27... if you can get a good one or rather if you can buy it all since Nixeus only sells it in 1 country really and refuses to sell elsewhere.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 AM
Down and out, for now.

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
I will just add that there are 2 versions LG 32GK850G=G-sync and LG 32GK850F=freesync. The latter have bigger color space and should be cheaper and more interesting now Nvidia will support a-sync but we will have to waite until the new drivers the 15 for feedback, how well it actually works.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 115 (Unique: 107)
I would not be very concerned about the LCD or LED.
1ms and 3ms is not really telling you much and most companies lie anyways about the response time. They are talking about how fast the pixels change color but they are advertising the time it takes for the pixel to change from grey to grey. You will see "3ms gtg" a lot. It takes longer for the pixel to change from white to black. So take what they say with a grain of salt. (less is better)

When I shop for a monitor I'm looking at the following:
-size/ resolution/ response time
-60hz or 100hz etc
-TN or IPS panel
-vesa mount
-price
-warranty/ reputation/ reviews

Read the reviews and watch the youtube reviews.
There is a trade off with every monitor. Maybe one has great color, but it is not as fast. One might be very fast, but color is pretty far off. Cheap monitors are more likely to have dead or stuck pixels. You have to find what monitor has more of what you want and less of what you can live with out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in