34GK950F - Anyone got this monitor? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

34GK950F - Anyone got this monitor?

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
34GK950F - Anyone got this monitor?

Hi,

I'm set on getting this monitor and i was wondering how good it is? i have read\seen a few reviews online buy would like to get an opinion from someone who uses this monitor on a daily bases.

Also, its a Freesync monitor and i currently have GTX 1080, so i will be limited to 120hz without freesync until i upgrade to DP 1.4 and Vega 7? (maybe) hope freesync support will come to my card so i might not have to upgrade my GPU so soon.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

CPU:2700x|Cooler:H150i PRO|Mobo:C7H|Ram:2x16GB 3200 CL14|GPU:RTX 2080TI|SSD1:970 EVO 1TB|SSD2:2x500GB Raid 0|HDD:3TB WD|Case:Lian Li O11B Dynamic|PSU:EVGA G2 750W|Monitor:ACER X34P 120HZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
I did a lot of research on both the 950G and 950F. I ultimately got the AW3418DW because I wanted a gsync monitor but couldn't justify how much more the 950G cost for hardly any more specs/features.

That said, the 950F is a bit better than the 950G because it's not limited by the gsync module. This means you get up to 144Hz refresh rate, very rudimentary "HDR" (not even really HDR in any sense), and a few other small things over the 950G model. It received a good review from tftcentral in case you haven't seen it. A lot more info is in there.

At minimum you are going to need something in the 1080ti/2080 or possibly Vega 7 class in order to power 3440x1440 at frame rates where you'll actually use your 120+ Hz monitor. I still think Nvidia is going to own the high end GPU segment for the foreseeable future since the Vega 7 looks to slot in at or below a 2080 in performance. Gsync monitors are still worth it if you want to have a better performing GPU with higher frame rates. Also, don't buy the hype from CES about Nvidia supporting gsync functionality on Freesync monitors. It's more of an advertising campaign for their real hardware-driven gsync monitors than it is a feature. The actual gsync hardware in the monitor gets you better input lag and generally supports more/newer features compared to a Freesync display (especially one trying to do gsync).
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 11:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
I did lot of research on the new monitor. I was using the LG 34uc88B prior but i started having constellation of stuck pixels and discovered it was common with LG panels (or you get vertical lines). I ended up getting the Alienware also because of its much lower price and its three year warranty. Dell/Alienware warranty service is known to be best in the monitor industry.

Also the only major difference between the alienware and LG has better quality control (better blb - less panel lottery) and slightly higher brightness at cost of much higher latency. Also consider the 950f HDR is not really HDR and the 950g gsync module is outdated. My advice is if your spending that much, keep any eye on the Asus/Acer that will use the AUO 4K AHIPS 32inch, True HDR10, mini-led, 144mhz panels. The 60mhz panel is coming out in summer under Asus ProArt P32UCX.

Source: https://www.displayninja.com/new-mon...2018-and-2019/ (copy from TFT central own site).

"Furthermore, AUO plans on improving the picture quality of their displays by replacing the imperfect full-array local dimming (FALD) system with the impeccable mini-LED technology which would allow for more backlight-controlling zones.

In fact, their first display with mini-LED backlight, the ASUS ProArt PA32UCX, is a 32-inch IPS display with 4K resolution, a 1,200-nit peak brightness for HDR content, USB-C (Thunderbolt 3 with 40 Gbps), and true 10-bit color support with 97% DCI-P3 and 89% Rec 2020 color gamut.

The monitor will be available in both 60Hz and 144Hz (likely 8-bit + FRC) variants."

Last edited by Section31; 01-13-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thanks for your replies guys

I should have mentioned that my current monitor for the last 4-5 years was LG34UM95, and its still working well for me. However, i want to upgrade to a 21:9 1440p (minimum) and VRR whether its GSYNC or Freesync.
Not going back to 16:9 as it feels like going back to 4:3 haha, even if its 4K.

Anyway, should i keep waiting then for a better monitor? or is there something else at the 1000$ mark that would be worth the money?

Thanks

CPU:2700x|Cooler:H150i PRO|Mobo:C7H|Ram:2x16GB 3200 CL14|GPU:RTX 2080TI|SSD1:970 EVO 1TB|SSD2:2x500GB Raid 0|HDD:3TB WD|Case:Lian Li O11B Dynamic|PSU:EVGA G2 750W|Monitor:ACER X34P 120HZ
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

The LG 950G/F is the newest 21:9 1440p panel out there. The AW3418DW uses the previous version of the same panel from a year or so earlier. There might be some more stuff coming later in 2019, but judging by how long we waited for those LG monitors from when they were shown/announced it could be a while. At that price point you're not going to find any of the fancy 4K/HDR 21:9 monitors, or the larger 37-38 inch panels like were shown at CES. Those will all be closer to $2K, or more.

As for quality, BLB and glow will be similar on either the AW or the newer LG monitors. They are typical for what you find in a modern IPS panel. It's only noticeable on black screens, where you see a faint glow and some bleed in the corners. The glow is most noticeable from off-angles and not as much from directly in front. It's part of the deal for an IPS monitor. If you don't want that you can go VA, but then you get other issues like response time and smearing.

If you want to commit to Freesync/AMD (or on Nvidia making Gsync work with it), the 950F is a great monitor at a good price for what it is. I just had more trouble justifying the more expensive 950G version with gsync.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 05:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Vidati View Post
Thanks for your replies guys [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

I should have mentioned that my current monitor for the last 4-5 years was LG34UM95, and its still working well for me. However, i want to upgrade to a 21:9 1440p (minimum) and VRR whether its GSYNC or Freesync.
Not going back to 16:9 as it feels like going back to 4:3 haha, even if its 4K.

Anyway, should i keep waiting then for a better monitor? or is there something else at the 1000$ mark that would be worth the money?

Thanks [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Question is how long you can hold your upgrade itch. I don't think it's major upgrade Imo (see tft central reviews). I would save up for 32inch plus 4k hdr10 (true), mini led. Or just go big on the 49inch ultrawide with 144mhz and also hdr10.
You will want those once you see them.

In my case, I'm waiting till dell also comes out with new model using the new lg panels. Dell cs is only one I heard someone buying an cheap Ips monitor and manged to get an 1000usd monitors after long time of complaining about blb.

Last edited by Section31; 01-14-2019 at 05:26 PM.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
I would save up for 32inch plus 4k hdr10 (true), mini led. Or just go big on the 49inch ultrawide with 144mhz and also hdr10.
You will want those once you see them.
Those are all going to be $2000-3000 monitors, at least. You are going to be waiting a very long time for those sorts of displays to drop into $1000 and under territory. If money is no object you might as well just grab the HP Omen X 65" HDR 144 Hz monitor they showed at CES for the low, low price of $5000.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

I hope price is not that high, I rather buy an oled 55+ tv with hdmi 2.1 if its going to be that high price. Mini-Led suppose to be way cheaper than fald in the 27inch 4k 120mhz monitor in the market.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
I hope price is not that high, I rather buy an oled 55+ tv with hdmi 2.1 if its going to be that high price. Mini-Led suppose to be way cheaper than fald in the 27inch 4k 120mhz monitor in the market.
We'll see. Right now our only benchmarks are the ridiculous $2000 27" 4K HDR Gsync monitors, and in the ultrawide space the 950G/F at $1000-1400. Nothing with Gsync and HDR is south of $2000 MSRP, and I don't expect that to change soon. The supposedly forthcoming 2019 monitors you mentioned all have features and/or size above and beyond these 2018 monitors, so I'd expect higher prices. New technologies like mini-LED might eventually be cheaper, but you seldom see cost benefits in the first couple generations of a new technology. It's all gonna be expensive, and it might not be until the end of the year (if that) until we see anything available. I think the LG 950G/F took over a year between announcement and availability.

That's why I advise anyone looking at monitors to just get the best one in their price range out now. You may think you want to wait for whatever new hotness that's in the works, but it's probably going to take longer and be more expensive than you hope.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by tostitobandito View Post
We'll see. Right now our only benchmarks are the ridiculous $2000 27" 4K HDR Gsync monitors, and in the ultrawide space the 950G/F at $1000-1400. Nothing with Gsync and HDR is south of $2000 MSRP, and I don't expect that to change soon. The supposedly forthcoming 2019 monitors you mentioned all have features and/or size above and beyond these 2018 monitors, so I'd expect higher prices. New technologies like mini-LED might eventually be cheaper, but you seldom see cost benefits in the first couple generations of a new technology. It's all gonna be expensive, and it might not be until the end of the year (if that) until we see anything available. I think the LG 950G/F took over a year between announcement and availability.

That's why I advise anyone looking at monitors to just get the best one in their price range out now. You may think you want to wait for whatever new hotness that's in the works, but it's probably going to take longer and be more expensive than you hope.
You are right. I actually was following the 950g/950f even before it was announced back in early 2018 (the lg i had was getting constellation of stuck red/green pixels). Guess what, I ended up getting the Alienware anyways. It was good price (before LG dropped it 1199USD to 999USD price). Also, the tft central review was the final nail for me...the alienware caliberated correctly is same as 950f. I'm not satisfied (lost the panel lottery) but I figure I will try Alienware customer service down the road when they use the new panel.

Thats what i get though for following the overclock.co.uk forum where LG uk representative posts stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in