Any monitors flicker free at all brightness levels? Eye strain concern - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Any monitors flicker free at all brightness levels? Eye strain concern

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Any monitors flicker free at all brightness levels? Eye strain concern

Does anyone have some pointers about deciphering monitor specs or monitors they'd like to recommend? Any help is appreciated.

I've been using a laptop (LED LCD screen according to specs), but I'm thinking of springing for a 24-25" monitor mainly to use for reading text and web browsing. I use it at a low brightness setting with Flux on, but I just learned about PWM and the laptop has it. Perhaps the brightness level I'm using it at is making things worse, idk I always just thought that eyestrain was inevitable, but maybe a larger monitor without PWM would help. I'm interested in the eye care ranges of Asus and Benq, but they each have so many models, with some of them discontinued, all of them with some kind flicker-free label, and none of them with release dates conveniently written anywhere, that I'm just more confused about the differences among the ones still in stock. I'm just googling the model names one by one, and I'm only a quarter way finished with Asus even after adding the flicker free filter in search.

What I'd really like to avoid is the hybrid backlight dimming (models which are flicker free for part of their brightness adjustment range, but do use some form of PWM for other parts of the adjustment range) mentioned in the tft flicker free database. That article hasn't been updated since 2016, so I'm not even sure if that's still a problem. I see that both Asus and Benq eye care ranges have some sort of TUV Rheinland certification, but I'm not sure if that covers all brightness levels. I also see something about DCM direct current modulation or WLED flicker free. What do these things mean? Is there any place online to do a filter search or will I need to google one by one? Is VA or IPS better for reading?

The eyecare ranges are saying that it provides flicker free by automatically adjusting brightness. I tend to use it at very low brightness though, so how is that affected? Will it be flicker free even at low brightness?

Last edited by read; 01-17-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 293 (Unique: 214)
Almost glossy IPS or VA with no PWM dimming and perfect neutral sharpness is probably easiest to read and what at least I want. Sadly such monitors are rare that have all these features, finding a neutral sharp one should be a must for any monitor and is hard with 100Hz+ monitors.
You could check Q3279VWF VA model which has fairly glossy surface but I don't know if it's neutral sharp and PWM free, it should be, check review. I have the IPS D8 variant of it which has matte surface and is perfect neutral sharpness, no blurry text!

Flicker free is a marketing term used by monitor makers to say that monitor should be PWM free. Check specific monitor reviews to find out about PWM dimming. Sharpness... that's tricky, at best browse user experiences and reported issues by users, it's super easy to check and see when you have the monitor, lagom.nl sharpness.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:52 PM
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁

Rep: 336 (Unique: 271)
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

This site does amazing monitor reviews, you can find loads of flicker-free monitors there as well as recommended monitors.

| This Cannot Continue | We Are Become As Gods | This Cannot Continue |

Vehicles:
Current: None.
Ex: '07 Fiat Palio, '07 Honda Accord Type-S
Illya
(26 items)
Yuki
(23 items)
CPU
Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Master
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 4000Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 8TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Cooling
EK Velocity CPU Block
Cooling
EK 1080 Ti FTW3 GPU Block
Cooling
HardwareLabs GTX420
Cooling
HardwareLabs GTS280
Cooling
HardwareLabs GTS140
Cooling
EK D5 140 Glass Pump/res
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 165Hz 1440p
Monitor
I-INC 1920x1200 TN 27"
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Midnight
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
CoolerMaster Swift-RX XL
Audio
Sennhesier HD650
Audio
Schiit Jotunheim Amp/DAC
Audio
Samson C01U Microphone
Audio
Edifier R1700BT
Other
Oculus Rift
CPU
Intel 2500K 5Ghz
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 Pro
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws X 2133Mhz 16GB
Hard Drive
120GB Corsair Neutron GTX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 8TB
Power Supply
EVGA G3 850W
Cooling
Hyper 212
Cooling
EK Vardar fans
Case
Corsair 270R w/TG mod
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
Monitor
I-Inc 1200p
Keyboard
Razer BlackWidow 2013
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Mousepad
CoolerMaster Swift-RX XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Schiit Jotunheim Balanced DAC + Amp
Audio
Edifier R1700BT Speakers
Audio
Samson C01U Microphone
Other
Oculus Rift
Other
PS4 Controller
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Also consider adding bias lighting (or so i've heard). Haven't gotten around fixing it myself, but..

These seem to be recommended!
https://www.biaslighting.com/

Close the world, txEn eht nepO.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:59 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 293 (Unique: 214)
I use 93CRI+ warm white, but you can get anything from 2700-9000K, warm 2700, neutral 4000, neutral 5000, day white 6500, cold white maybe 9000, with and without glue which again does shift the temperature.
These are on eBay for around $26 for 5m, 12V, not some weak 5V, shipped. Way cheaper than what you can usually buy locally as those with similar quality and rendering often cost $100+ not shipped.

Sure if you want a pro coloring LEDs than the 99CRI they offer on biaslighting are probably good. If you're at home... having 6500K lights is way too cool white for comfort, blue light galore.

Having good lights in room and behind monitor does help with eye strain. Always put some lamp behind monitor. Or make yourself LED strips attached to a aluminum heatsink profile, don't just glue them to plastic they will burn and degrade, LED strips need cooling especially if you run them at full 12V when they are designed for 12V.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in