Help with getting 4K HDR/60 Hz in Win10 on LG OLED - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Help with getting 4K HDR/60 Hz in Win10 on LG OLED

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 11)
Help with getting 4K HDR/60 Hz in Win10 on LG OLED

Hi guys,

I have an RTX 2080, an LG E8 and I'm using Windows 10. I've installed the latest Nvidia drivers and yes, I have tried 5 different premium high speed cables from two different brands (monoprice and amazon basics) and still cannot get HDR enabled unless I go down to 30 Hz or 1440p. I've searched everywhere on the internet and still can't figure it out. The option to switch HDR under display settings will not work and just goes back to off if I try and move it manually. It automatically turns on HDR when I change to the above mentioned settings. The funny thing is, when I initially connected my PC to the TV and changed the resolution to 4K, it let me turn on HDR manually and the HDR logo came up in the top right corner like everything else does. I turned it off and on again testing it because the ABL kicked in a lot when I enabled it since the settings menu is mostly white. I booted up a game in non-HDR mode and haven't been able to get it working since. I am beyond frustrated. Thanks for your help guys.

drunken.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 519 (Unique: 359)
Hmm, something doesn't sound right. How long are these cables?

At 4K/60 Hz, what color format/depth are you using in NVIDIA control panel? Is your E8 the only display connected to the video card? You obvious turned on "HDMI Deep Color" on all of the E8's HDMI inputs? You turn your used HDMI input in the input menu to the PC icon?

I know it sounds cliche, is your Win 10 fully up to date? I have no problem running HDR on my C8 at 4K/60 Hz RGB Full, 8-bit color in Windows 10 with my RTX Titan. You will need to drop down to 4:2:2 chroma if you want full 10-bit HDR on LG OLEDS at 60 Hz.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by CallsignVega View Post
Hmm, something doesn't sound right. How long are these cables?

At 4K/60 Hz, what color format/depth are you using in NVIDIA control panel? Is your E8 the only display connected to the video card? You obvious turned on "HDMI Deep Color" on all of the E8's HDMI inputs? You turn your used HDMI input in the input menu to the PC icon?

I know it sounds cliche, is your Win 10 fully up to date? I have no problem running HDR on my C8 at 4K/60 Hz RGB Full, 8-bit color in Windows 10 with my RTX Titan. You will need to drop down to 4:2:2 chroma if you want full 10-bit HDR on LG OLEDS at 60 Hz.
I think I figured it out, but to answer your questions:

Cables were between 3 and 6 feet and tried in two different HDMI Ports

All options for CF/D were locked to limited and chroma 4/2/0 I think?

Of course 4K was enabled on TV. Icon was changed from CBL/Satellite to HDMI2. I don't quite remember seeing a label for PC, but I'm not the most observant person either lol

E8 WAS the only thing connected at the time but had previously been connected to my 1080p monitor in my room. (I did notice that 1080p was showing as native at the time which I think was related to the problem which I'll get to in a minute)

Did the October Windows update

I knew about the chroma/10-bit restrictions do to HDMI bandwidth, but I don't think having 4:4:4 really matters when the tv is a display anyway right? Wouldn't 10 bit color be preferable?

So in the end, this is what happened. Realizing I left out a key piece of information which is that I was plugged into an Onkyo RZ-720 AVR. It is fully capable of doing 4K passthrough, 2020 color, HDR, Chroma 4:4:4 and 60 Hz. I researched it thoroughly. I connected the PC directly to the TV since I have ARC enabled anyway and low and behold, it worked and 3840 × 2160 was now shown as native. I reconnected to my AVR and Voila! Problem solved.

Honestly, I probably shouldn't be, but I'm proud of myself.

The one thing I did forget to check was what my chroma sampling options were available/set to after I finally got HDR working as I was exhausted and barely coherent. Now I'm struggling at work because my OCD-like need to figure this out before I went to bed.

drunken.gif

Last edited by rbarrett96; 01-18-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in