Anyone know if the AOC AG272FCX works with G-sync? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Anyone know if the AOC AG272FCX works with G-sync?

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Zammin

Anyone know if the AOC AG272FCX works with G-sync?

Hi everyone

With many Freesync monitors now working with Nvidia G-Sync via the latest drivers, including many that aren't in the list of 12 that Nvidia mentioned at CES, I am considering getting a Freesync display for my secondary system.

The AOC AG272FCX is currently on sale for a very good price, but I can't find anything online about whether anyone has tested it with G-sync. There is a G-sync compatible master thread where people can post their results on reddit but it isn't mentioned there at all.

So if anyone here on OCN has this display as well as an Nvidia GPU could you please let me know if G-sync is working well for you?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. My second option is the Acer KG271A which has been mentioned in the reddit thread to be working, but I thought I'd ask about this one first.

System Specs: Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic - ROG Maximus X Code - Watercooled Intel 8700k (5Ghz) - Watercooled Strix GTX 1080Ti OC (2050-2063Mhz) - G. Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz 32GB - Seasonic X-1050W PSU - Intel 600P NVME SSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 02:46 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

They all work is adaptive sync works. Nvidia enabled adaptive sync, if yours has that it will work.
If the monitor has a poor implementation it will work poorly. If the monitor is crap, it will be crap.
If it's a good panel with proper VRR, you'll have good results.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Zammin

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
They all work is adaptive sync works. Nvidia enabled adaptive sync, if yours has that it will work.
If the monitor has a poor implementation it will work poorly. If the monitor is crap, it will be crap.
If it's a good panel with proper VRR, you'll have good results.
Yeah that seems to be the way. I haven't used this monitor before though which is why I'm hoping someone who has one might be able to confirm it for me before I drop cash on it.

System Specs: Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic - ROG Maximus X Code - Watercooled Intel 8700k (5Ghz) - Watercooled Strix GTX 1080Ti OC (2050-2063Mhz) - G. Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz 32GB - Seasonic X-1050W PSU - Intel 600P NVME SSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:49 PM
New to Overclock.net
shush007

I am also considering this monitor to use with my GTX1060. Did you end up buying it? If so, did it work with G-sync?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Zammin

Quote: Originally Posted by shush007 View Post
I am also considering this monitor to use with my GTX1060. Did you end up buying it? If so, did it work with G-sync?
I purchased the monitor on ebay on the weekend while it was on sale for a really good price. I haven't received it but I'll let you know how I go. I couldn't find any concrete info on whether it works with G-sync but all the reviews I found were very positive and there weren't any complaints about it's freesync implementation so I hope it will be okay.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Zammin

Received it today, just tested it out and G-sync appears to work absolutely fine. There is quite a lot of ghosting on default settings (VA panel) so I suggest that you put the overdrive on the highest setting to minimalize it. Once that is dialed in it looks much better. Didn't notice any overshoot on the highest overdrive either. Pretty happy for $300 AUD delivered.

I will play around with the color calibration later, it has an FPS mode that looks better than standard but it won't let you adjust the overdrive in that preset for some reason.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:16 AM
New to Overclock.net
shush007

Quote: Originally Posted by Zammin View Post
Received it today, just tested it out and G-sync appears to work absolutely fine. There is quite a lot of ghosting on default settings (VA panel) so I suggest that you put the overdrive on the highest setting to minimalize it. Once that is dialed in it looks much better. Didn't notice any overshoot on the highest overdrive either. Pretty happy for $300 AUD delivered.

I will play around with the color calibration later, it has an FPS mode that looks better than standard but it won't let you adjust the overdrive in that preset for some reason.
Awesome, thanks for the tips. Sounds like a pretty good deal. Been tossing up this monitor or the Asus vg278q which is definitely ‘gsync compatible’. I found the asus to be $50 AUD more but is TN. Also, the curved screen might be cool for sim racing! Wondering what would be better for photo editing (second priority after gaming). I’m thinking the AOC since it is VN. But still not ideal for editing.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Zammin

Awesome, thanks for the tips. Sounds like a pretty good deal. Been tossing up this monitor or the Asus vg278q which is definitely ‘gsync compatible’. I found the asus to be $50 AUD more but is TN. Also, the curved screen might be cool for sim racing! Wondering what would be better for photo editing (second priority after gaming). I’m thinking the AOC since it is VN. But still not ideal for editing.
Yeah VA has generally far superior contrast ratio and viewing angles than TN. The only real advantage to TN over IPS or VA is response times. TN is generally very fast, 1ms GTG on TN gaming displays normally. This VA panel is rated at 4ms GTG but it might be a bit slower since it does appear to have a little more smearing/ghosting than my Acer Predator XB271HU IPS monitor, which is also rated at 4ms GTG. But for $300 AUD it's a really good deal. The Ebay sale ended on the 10th but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes on sale again in the next 20% off tech sale.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 03:18 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

IPS would be better than either if accurate colors is a priority.
I wouldn't buy anything curved unless it were 21:9 or very large. If the panel lottery wasn't already bad enough, curving the screen makes it even worse.
$300 for a 1080p 144hz TN panel is insane when you can get 1440p 144hz IPS for just a little more.
VA panels typically smear the blacks really badly, despite what they list their G2G as. Plus the BLB.
TN might be a slightly faster panel than IPS but at 144hz you can only notice ghosting if you spin in a circle really fast and try to look for it. I really wouldn't consider TN unless I played CS:GO all the time.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Zammin

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
IPS would be better than either if accurate colors is a priority.
I wouldn't buy anything curved unless it were 21:9 or very large. If the panel lottery wasn't already bad enough, curving the screen makes it even worse.
$300 for a 1080p 144hz TN panel is insane when you can get 1440p 144hz IPS for just a little more.
VA panels typically smear the blacks really badly, despite what they list their G2G as. Plus the BLB.
TN might be a slightly faster panel than IPS but at 144hz you can only notice ghosting if you spin in a circle really fast and try to look for it. I really wouldn't consider TN unless I played CS:GO all the time.
I think you might be confusing the currency, we are talking in AUD, so the monitor was $300 AUD delivered when it was on sale, the only 144hz monitor available here that was cheaper was the Acer KG251QF which is a 24" TN screen. The cheapest 144hz IPS displays in AU are generally around the $550 AUD mark from what I've seen. I've already got an XB271HU for my main system so I didn't want to spend big money on one that's only going to get occasional use.

I have to say though, I know all the things that VA is known for but this one has pretty good reviews online and to me it seems pretty good. I honestly expected worse ghosting/smearing but with the overdrive turned up it's only a bit worse than my XB271HU. Definitely suitable for 144hz gameplay. Didn't notice any backlight bleed either, despite the curve. It's not as good overall as my main monitor but I'm very impressed for something that cost 1/3 what my Acer display cost.

Last edited by Zammin; 02-13-2019 at 04:28 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in