Free-sync vs G-sync with Nvidia GPU 2019 ? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Free-sync vs G-sync with Nvidia GPU 2019 ?

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
Free-sync vs G-sync with Nvidia GPU 2019 ?

I have almost decided on the Dell S2719dgf -w/free-sync. However Dell drops the sale price on both sometimes, and the S2716dg w/ g-sync was only $35-40 more. I'm wondering if it's worth it, performance-wise ? I bet hardly anyone has used either monitor tho anyways, let alone side-by-side.

Does anyone have any real comparison with side-by-side FS vs GS, since Nvidia released drivers to run free-sync ? Is Nv even going to up-date their list anymore? It's been 12 approved models, since CES2019. I bet they have 1 intern playing games in the basement to check all these.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
If a monitor has a good VRR implementation you'll have good results using it.
I'm not sure why NV would test VRR at all, it's not their job and it helps people not buy G-Sync. It's up to the people making monitors to handle the VRR if they're going to advertise it. Afaik there are no advantages to G-Sync over good AdaptiveSync, all that matters is that the VRR is compatible with your card (check) and that it's agood monitor.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...ent=t1_dk7c2ep
I've only seen a handful of crap monitors where AdaptiveSync was broken, not really a surprise there since it's usually happening on crap monitors. AdaptiveSync can't make the panel better lol. Same logic applies to G-Sync.

I'd try to get something IPS + FreeSync but if that's not available to you for a reasonable price I'd say you picked well, save the $40.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
There's next to no utube video's on this yet, not from tech-reviewers or average users.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:31 AM
Preferred the old OCN

Rep: 20 (Unique: 20)
i have the dell s2716dg and I love it. However, the G-Sync difference is barely noticeable (tested on/off with Nvidia's tool), so if you are moving from 60Hz, Freesync or G-sync wont matter much (so pick the cheapest). If you already are on 144Hz and are looking for an edge, I do not know if G-sync is better than freesync, but I believe not
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:47 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 344 (Unique: 243)
It's the same thing, the only difference is that Gsync requires Nvidia in the mix in the form of their own proprietary expensive board inside monitor and their driver support, they do not allow monitor makers to make that Gsync board especially not to their own liking. Where as with Adaptive sync/Freesync the input boards are made by many companies and will work with any GPU that supports the "protocols" DP/HDMI according to specs. Nvidia also loves to tune the overdrive for each monitor themselves and often does it to an extreme causing over/undershoot just so they can appear to be the fastest response time. Where as other monitors often have more conservatively tuned overdrive that doesn't artifact and may offer you an option to tune the strength of it. Some things can only be patched on the NV Gsync board firmware and such patches need to be done by Nvidia not monitor maker, making updating for issues a royal pain as even the monitor maker can't do it...

Equal performance, Gsync costs more than other adaptive sync, do I need to say more?

There are endless videos on the GS vs FS topic with measurements and all over the years.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 134 (Unique: 104)
Pcmonitors said that gsync works fine but has a range of 55-155hz instead of the 40-155hz when using a amd card with freesync. The motion blur looks better on the gsync models. Especially the smaller version which can go up to 165hz. Plus the gsync models also have ulmb @ 120 where as the freesync model does not.

If it was me? i'd try my luck with the dell s2417dg just to be on the safe side.

Edit: i think rtings has some side by side comparisons.

Last edited by kd5151; 02-22-2019 at 10:51 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:12 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 344 (Unique: 243)
Gsync + strobing=ULMB cannot be combined with Gsync boards and currently no monitor supports the combination of both because they don't support strobing on variable refresh only on fixed refresh. Either adaptive sync or strobing right now.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 134 (Unique: 104)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Gsync + strobing=ULMB cannot be combined with Gsync boards and currently no monitor supports the combination of both because they don't support strobing on variable refresh only on fixed refresh. Either adaptive sync or strobing right now.
True. I was just saying. The freesync model doesn't have any built in motion blur reduction as far as I know.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:47 PM
mfw

Rep: 405 (Unique: 207)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Well, there was that glitch that allowed ULMB while in VRR mode (strobing fluctuated in frequency in tandem with G-sync), but I don't know if it still works.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I have nVidia card and im currently looking for some good 32" freesync monitor myself... last year my list was restricted to overpriced G-sync monitors only, but since nVidia allowed freesync, (good timing) my choice is defo gonna be some free VRR coz i want to have a freedom of choice what future GPU i can buy and not be restricted to just one brand...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in