Finally built PC,looking for monitor recommendations - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Finally built PC,looking for monitor recommendations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Temuka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 172
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Finally built PC,looking for monitor recommendations

Hello everyone,I just finished building my new PC and now choosing monitor is a very big concern. My build is:

Gigabyte Z390 Ultra
RTX 2080 Asus ROG OC
9700k + be quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
16GB DDR4 G.Skill 3200
Samsung 970 Evo + 4TB HDD
Corsair RM850x (2018 edition) + be quiet silent base 800

I play on full HD 60hz and now I want to try 1440p gaming with 144hz monitor.
Mainly I play World of Tanks,but I always play AAA games when they are out,mostly FPS and TPS games.

My desk is 80×140cm and I will sit approx 2 feet from monitor,monitor will be used mainly for gaming,for movies I have 55' 60hz tv.

I can't decide which monitor to buy.Probably 27' will be too small and 32' too big or okay? Also there are 34' UW monitors which makes the choice harder but they are 100-120hz and I don't know if that will be enough by today's standards.

Thanks in advance!

Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Z390 + 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 3200
GPU - N/A
CPU - Intel 9700K + be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
HDD - 970 EVO 500GB + 4TB HGST
Corsair RM850x 2018 Edition + be quiet! Silent Base 800
Temuka is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:52 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Kaltenbrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,131
Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
I found that there's not many 32" 1440p panels. Most are VA I think, I stopped looking at 32" about 1 month ago, and went with a Dell S2719dgf free-sync for a rtx 2070 OC

There's hardly any 32" 1440p 144Hz, that are IPS. i was looking at the LG 32gk650 and 850, but got scared of VA. I've only had TN panels years ago, and 1440p 60Hz IPS since 2013. This Dell TN panel seems way better than any TN panel I've tried. So I hope I like it for web surfing., other i have a problem.

Kaltenbrunner is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:19 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
white owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The land of Nod
Posts: 5,171
Rep: 126 (Unique: 96)
32" is too large for 1440p IMO, 27" is exactly the right size. IPS is a great panel for a little bit of everything, fast enough for FPS, and great colors for pretty much any other type of game. The only downfall are the black levels...not terrible but not as good as VA.
I just measured and I sit exactly 2' away and personally a bigger panel would be a waste. The edges would be too far out of my FOV and I'd likely need to turn my head to really use it.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
white owl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Temuka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 172
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
32" is too large for 1440p IMO, 27" is exactly the right size. IPS is a great panel for a little bit of everything, fast enough for FPS, and great colors for pretty much any other type of game. The only downfall are the black levels...not terrible but not as good as VA.
I just measured and I sit exactly 2' away and personally a bigger panel would be a waste. The edges would be too far out of my FOV and I'd likely need to turn my head to really use it.
Which 27' monitor you recommend buying now ?

Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Z390 + 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 3200
GPU - N/A
CPU - Intel 9700K + be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
HDD - 970 EVO 500GB + 4TB HGST
Corsair RM850x 2018 Edition + be quiet! Silent Base 800
Temuka is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:57 AM
9 Cans of Ravioli
 
The Pook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15,223
Rep: 942 (Unique: 579)
Quote: Originally Posted by Temuka View Post
Which 27' monitor you recommend buying now ?

Figure out if you want TN, IPS, or VA first.

Personally I'd pick from this list, just figure out if you want VA or IPS. I wouldn't consider TN unless you're on a tight budget.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 4133
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
X-Ray XL 26" x 14"
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio
Monoprice Modern Retro
Audio
AudioSource LS100
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲


The Pook is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:37 AM
Not new to overclock.net
 
kd5151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Florida?
Posts: 3,162
Rep: 134 (Unique: 104)
TN - Dell S2719DGF
IPS - Nixeus NX-EDG27S v2 Very new and hopefully as good as v1. Adjustable stand version will be coming out at a later date but expect a higher price tag. Does have vesa mount btw if you cant wait. Availability can be limited depending on where you live.

Acer XV272UP and Gigabyte AD27UD. Innolux panel. More so a 120hz panel. Slightly more motion blur compared to the AUO panel in the nixeus. Source on motion blur at the link below.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DrNCX/comme..._acer_vg270up/ I feel the Gigabyte is the better but more expensive choice between the two.

Keep in mind these are freesync monitors but the vrr should work just fine with rtx 2080 you have. The nixeus should have the best best freesync/vrr implementation. Read reviews and have a understanding of this.
kd5151 is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Temuka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 172
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Temuka View Post
Which 27' monitor you recommend buying now ?

Figure out if you want TN, IPS, or VA first.

Personally I'd pick from this list, just figure out if you want VA or IPS. I wouldn't consider TN unless you're on a tight budget.
I prefer for first monitor to try some nice IPS panel,with some kind of future proof of 2-3 years (I mean refresh rate,ms,maybe gsync also etc)

Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Z390 + 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 3200
GPU - N/A
CPU - Intel 9700K + be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
HDD - 970 EVO 500GB + 4TB HGST
Corsair RM850x 2018 Edition + be quiet! Silent Base 800
Temuka is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:59 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
toolmaker03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,333
Rep: 79 (Unique: 60)
Quote: Originally Posted by Temuka View Post
I prefer for first monitor to try some nice IPS panel,with some kind of future proof of 2-3 years (I mean refresh rate,ms,maybe gsync also etc)

this is what I would suggest, I have a older model that is now 5 years old the MG279Q. this is a similar model but has all the newer features.


https://www.amazon.com/PG279Q-Displa...sr=1-3-catcorr


I am very happy with mine it plays my games and looks great. I hope this helps.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/rigbu...tle=AMD+AM3%2B
AMD AM3+
(13 items)
TEC Power
(21 items)
CPU
FX9590
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth 990FX
GPU
GTX580
RAM
Samsung 1600
Hard Drive
Intel 520 SSD 120Gigs
Optical Drive
DVD
Power Supply
Enermax 1350
Cooling
water cooled
Monitor
Asus 27"
Keyboard
microsoft ergo
Mouse
RAT 9
Mousepad
steel series
Audio
ZX 7
CPU
3930K
Motherboard
DX79SR
GPU
GTX580
RAM
G skill 2133Mhz
Hard Drive
Intel 3700
Optical Drive
Asus
Power Supply
OCZ 1250W, TT 600W, PowerMax 4 X 500W
Cooling
9 X TEC's 250W 15A 24V
Cooling
Standard Water cooling to cool the TEC's 6 X 360mm radiators
Cooling
19 X CPU water blocks
Cooling
2 X GTX580 GPU water blocks
Cooling
6 X water pumps
Cooling
3 X CPU air coolers
Case
Coustom PC case inside a vacuum chamber
Operating System
Windows 7
Monitor
Dell 30" ultra sharp
Keyboard
Blackwidow
Mouse
RAT 9
Mouse
Gaming Pad
Audio
2.1 sound
Audio
G930 head set
CPU
Intel i7 3930K
Motherboard
Intel DX79SR
GPU
GTX580
RAM
G-Skill
Hard Drive
Intel 3700
Optical Drive
Asus DVD
Power Supply
1250W
Cooling
Water Cooled
Case
H2OQPower
Operating System
Win7
Monitor
Asus
Keyboard
Razer
Mouse
R.A.T.9
▲ hide details ▲
toolmaker03 is online now  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:04 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
white owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The land of Nod
Posts: 5,171
Rep: 126 (Unique: 96)
Quote: Originally Posted by kd5151 View Post
TN - Dell S2719DGF
IPS - Nixeus NX-EDG27S v2 Very new and hopefully as good as v1. Adjustable stand version will be coming out at a later date but expect a higher price tag. Does have vesa mount btw if you cant wait. Availability can be limited depending on where you live.

Acer XV272UP and Gigabyte AD27UD. Innolux panel. More so a 120hz panel. Slightly more motion blur compared to the AUO panel in the nixeus. Source on motion blur at the link below.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DrNCX/comme..._acer_vg270up/ I feel the Gigabyte is the better but more expensive choice between the two.

Keep in mind these are freesync monitors but the vrr should work just fine with rtx 2080 you have. The nixeus should have the best best freesync/vrr implementation. Read reviews and have a understanding of this.
Never used the others but Nixeus (in my case) did a fantastic job on binning the panels. I have none of the glow issues you typically hear complaints about.
I'll always recommend the 27" EDG as long as they keep that level of quality.
I believe @The Pook also said they had a good IPS panel, maybe the process of making the panels is getting better?
The best advice I can give on picking a 27" IPS panel is simple:
Don't overspend. I got mine for $330 with a 15% coupon for eBay mobile. I opted for the crappy stand version and replaced it with my other stand. Win-win IMO
Don't buy into G-Sync either, FreeSync now covers all GPUs. Another reason I forgot...I recommend the Nixeus panels because their VRR is solid. Since FINALLY allowing freesync to work I haven't noticed a single issue with FreeSync. Now that I'm playing FFXV, that is very appreciated.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 03-09-2019 at 11:08 AM.
white owl is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:22 AM
Overclocker in training
 
ThrashZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 5,676
Rep: 41 (Unique: 33)
Hi,
LG has some decent offerings micro center has this one for 50.00 less
https://www.amazon.com/LG-32GK650F-B...ct_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...ng-led-monitor

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-7900x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
ThrashZone is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off