Just Received my Acer XB273K 4k 144hz HDR Monitor - Page 16 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Just Received my Acer XB273K 4k 144hz HDR Monitor

post #151 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 06:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I can do HDR 10 bit with only 60Hz. I don't see 98Hz refresh rate option in the dropdown. If I select 120Hz I see only 8bpc in nvidia control panel. How can I get 98Hz refresh rate ? My monitor is XB273K GP and I have 2080Ti

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 08:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by cruzer_fx View Post
I can do HDR 10 bit with only 60Hz. I don't see 98Hz refresh rate option in the dropdown. If I select 120Hz I see only 8bpc in nvidia control panel. How can I get 98Hz refresh rate ? My monitor is XB273K GP and I have 2080Ti
but why you care about this?
isn't 8bit + FRC enough?

sincerely I can't tell any difference between 10bit and 8bit + frc

post #153 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 09:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hmm was just curious to get 10bit hdr to work as lot of reviews suggested that there is 98Hz and even after creating custom resolution it defaulted to only 8bit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 06:53 PM
No desktop currently :(

Rep: 245 (Unique: 223)
Quote: Originally Posted by gibolocopt View Post
I have been using a XB273K GP for 2 weeks, paired with a 2080ti for gaming (single DP - 4k120Hz) or with a macbook pro (usb-c to DP [email protected])

Here are my thoughts so far:
- The speakers are ****ty
- This model (ending with GP) does NOT have a fan.
- I am facing the very fast blinking black/dark screen on with both configurations while browsing the web. I couldn't notice the issue while gaming. I also noticed that the issue happens more frequently when I just turn on the monitor. Tried a fresh install of the NVIDIA drivers, no luck.

I am probably going to return this item and reorder another one from costco, since I liked the monitor and I didn't find a similar monitor costing less than $1K
This model doesn't have a fan because it doesn't have a G-SYNC module. It's a rebadged XV273K. It is FreeSync / G-SYNC-compatible only.

FYI for you or anyone this could apply to--I just bought a refurb XB273K PB (original with actual G-SYNC module) at the Brooklyn, NY Microcenter for only $699 plus tax. It has blown me away so far. Just wish it had more than one DP1.4 port. Just checked their website and it looks like they have 3 left in stock: https://www.microcenter.com/product/...r-(refurbished)

post #155 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 02:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by The_0ctogon View Post
This model doesn't have a fan because it doesn't have a G-SYNC module. It's a rebadged XV273K. It is FreeSync / G-SYNC-compatible only.

FYI for you or anyone this could apply to--I just bought a refurb XB273K PB (original with actual G-SYNC module) at the Brooklyn, NY Microcenter for only $699 plus tax. It has blown me away so far. Just wish it had more than one DP1.4 port. Just checked their website and it looks like they have 3 left in stock: https://www.microcenter.com/product/...r-(refurbished)
why bother with GSYNC when you have GSYNC compatible?
I had a GSYNC monitor before and now I have an XV273K GSYNC compatible, I see no difference at all.

post #156 of 168 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 03:25 PM
No desktop currently :(

Rep: 245 (Unique: 223)
Quote: Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post
why bother with GSYNC when you have GSYNC compatible?
I had a GSYNC monitor before and now I have an XV273K GSYNC compatible, I see no difference at all.
I haven't had the opportunity to compare GSYNC with and without module first-hand, but on paper at least the GSYNC module does have advantages, e.g. variable overdrive. In this case, too, the XB273K PB (module) supports 144Hz, GSYNC, and HDR all at once (using a single cable even), while the XV273K and XB273K GP (no module) don't.

With all that said, I actually just ordered a refurbed XV273K for the exact same price ($699+tax) I got my XB273K PB. I'm going to compare them side-by-side and go with the XV273K if image quality is the same and I'm able to get 120Hz, FreeSync, and HDR at once out of it. This is because I currently have an AMD GPU and don't know when/if I'd get an Nvidia one to make use of GSYNC. I also want the additional DP1.4 port on the XV273K and prefer the plain Acer logo over the (IMO tacky) Predator logo on the XB273K PB.

post #157 of 168 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 12:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by The_0ctogon View Post
I haven't had the opportunity to compare GSYNC with and without module first-hand, but on paper at least the GSYNC module does have advantages, e.g. variable overdrive. In this case, too, the XB273K PB (module) supports 144Hz, GSYNC, and HDR all at once (using a single cable even), while the XV273K and XB273K GP (no module) don't.

With all that said, I actually just ordered a refurbed XV273K for the exact same price ($699+tax) I got my XB273K PB. I'm going to compare them side-by-side and go with the XV273K if image quality is the same and I'm able to get 120Hz, FreeSync, and HDR at once out of it. This is because I currently have an AMD GPU and don't know when/if I'd get an Nvidia one to make use of GSYNC. I also want the additional DP1.4 port on the XV273K and prefer the plain Acer logo over the (IMO tacky) Predator logo on the XB273K PB.
I have an XV273K since its launch and I used it with tons of HDR contents and tons of HDR Games using Variable Refresh Rate.

Differently from what reviewers says, this monitor works well with HDR, 120Hz and GSYNC (VRR).
You can't enable HDR and GSYNC at the same time from the minitor's OSD, you need to use Acer Display Widget to do it.

Basically you enable GSYNC on the OSD and then enable HDR with Acer display widget software.
It works awesome.

So, I still prefer the XV273K to the XB273K, it's cheaper, it works with Nvidia and AMD and sincerely I don't want to have a closed standard even on the monitor.

post #158 of 168 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 02:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

guys I'm experiencing some strange behaviour on my XB273K monitor

on some HDR youtube videos I'm experiencing white crush.

sometimes the white tones are so high that I completely loose details in the bright area.

let's make "more" scientific xD

when HDR is enabled in both monitor and windows,

in this video to test for white clipping I can see clear difference until 155 nit, the sixth tile.

I don't think that this is good. am I the only one with this problem. is it possible that this monitor is so bad in HDR?

post #159 of 168 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 06:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post
guys I'm experiencing some strange behaviour on my XB273K monitor

on some HDR youtube videos I'm experiencing white crush.

sometimes the white tones are so high that I completely loose details in the bright area.

let's make "more" scientific xD

when HDR is enabled in both monitor and windows,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XRbTQk45vQ

in this video to test for white clipping I can see clear difference until 155 nit, the sixth tile.

I don't think that this is good. am I the only one with this problem. is it possible that this monitor is so bad in HDR?
ok I probably found the problem.

it seems that the

sdr content appearance slider affect my youtube videos.

I have that slider at 40 and it causes white clipping even on youtube HDR video.

why? isn't that slider only relative to SDR content?

setting that slider to 0 completely solved all my white clipping problems :O

why I don't understand.

post #160 of 168 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 08:01 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 364 (Unique: 261)
Program should switch to HDR mode when it needs it. If you want to force Windows UI into HDR, well sure go ahead and toggle the HDR ON in Windows settings. Probably changes with each Windows version too but this used to be tonemapped such that one would need a true HDR and wide gamut for it to look OK and not washed out.

Mixing into it the Windows HDR hackery settings is a recipe for disaster and mostly meant for programs that are bad enough that they can't switch the graphics output and the monitor to HDR mode on their own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in