High FPS, High HZ but Screen Tearing? Help!! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

High FPS, High HZ but Screen Tearing? Help!!

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
High FPS, High HZ but Screen Tearing? Help!!

Hi guys ive been getting this really weird issue and im really unsure if its related to my monitor or GPU

I am using a dell 24" 1440p monitor with 144HZ + RTX2080ti

On most games like PUBG, Insurgency Sandstorm etc i am getting FPS between 140-160 on ultra settings

However when my FPS drops to 90-100, i start experiencing some really bad tearing / micro stuttering (honestly i dont know what its called) when moving my mouse like its very jittery unless i scale my game to 4k resolution or with 2x supersampling then it becomes smooth but most games dosent allow that

I am aware that if your FPS is way higher than your refresh rate, there will be tearing. In some case, does lower FPS then HZ also make your screen tear?

So i adjust my refresh rate to 165hz (build in overclock in my monitor) and i get less jittery camera but still noticeable.

previously with my RTX2070 card i didnt experience this even with 80-90FPS with my 144hz monitor only after changing to a rtx2080ti.

Any idea why

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Anytime the framerate is not a direct ratio of the refresh rate you will get tearing. On a 60hz monitor if you run around 45 fps you will notice quite a lot of it. I normally set a limit on my fps at 100% or 50% of refresh rate. That gets rid of all tearing as the screen is either being redrawn every refresh or every other refresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Mule go_quote.gif
It better be coming to Verizon by now, or else I'm punching a Twilight fan in the face.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:48 AM
Food Editor

Rep: 725 (Unique: 381)
you need Freesync / Gsync, or Vsync...

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:12 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 358 (Unique: 255)
As above are you using VRR or not? If not then you will always get tearing unless you like to use Vsync or Fast/EnhancedSync which both add lag and stutter. You could also be using Ssync from RTSS but from my experience it adds lag too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in