Recommend me a 27" 4k workstation monitor! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Recommend me a 27" 4k workstation monitor!

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-14-2019, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 8)
Recommend me a 27" 4k workstation monitor!

Hi all, looking for a new pair of workstation monitors.

This will primarily be for Davinci Resolve color grading and Photoshop/lightroom editing.

Here’s what I'm looking for in order of priority:
· 4k (would accept 5k if well priced)
· sRGB and DCI-P3, doesn’t need to be 100% but should be good, above 90%
· 10-bit color depth
· GLOSSY, not semi-gloss, no matte coating at all, I can’t stand it.
· HDR 600+ or better, local dimming
· Good viewing angles, like an IPS or similar. I assume this already comes standard in this class.
· 27” display, preferably thin bezels

Don’t really need high refresh rates or gsync/freesync but it’d be nice to have.

I’ll be driving it with an RTX 2070 with Displayport 1.4

Let me know your best/cheapest recommendations! Keep in mind it’s my personal work machine so money does matter.

Thanks for your suggestions!!

Last edited by SanguineDrone; 05-14-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-15-2019, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Bump anything? Even anything close?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-15-2019, 04:03 PM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
Quote: Originally Posted by SanguineDrone View Post
Bump anything? Even anything close?
Considering the emphasis you put on "glossy", closest to your specifications is a high-end TV. There's the UP2718Q, but the local dimming isn't great. Still, in the monitor realm, it's your best bet.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ToTheSun!; 05-15-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-15-2019, 08:52 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 300 (Unique: 219)
I would say it does not exist.

You want 4k+, 27", DCI-P3, hardware calibration, 10bit, glossy alone kills your options to close to ZERO, HDR600 + local dimming almost nothing has.

You can look at BenQ photo/video monitors, they have whole pages with comparisons of features, various sizes 27, 32". Or you can dig out the EIZO, NEC models but they tend to be dated with 1440p not 4k, etc. and cost more...

RTX 2070 driver = the consumer GeForce driver won't give you 10bit support in professional apps. I don't know if Resolve works with 10bit output but Photoshop as far as I know doesn't as it needs OpenGL 10bit support from driver (Quadro/FirePro). You only get DX 10bit not OGL 10bit with non Pro GPU drivers.

I've enabled 30bit (10bit) in Photoshop right now with an RTX 2070 and can tell you, doesn't show 10bit, it's still 8bit output. It lets you enable but there is no visual change. You can look it up, there are even statements from Nvidia about this OGL 10bit issue.

Dell may have some monitors worth checking too, as Sun said the UP27, there is also 32" and U variants. Not sure HP has some monitors but if you're looking at Dells you may as well look at HP.
Worried about price with those crazy requirements, expect 1k minimum. Without FALD and some other feature, maybe 500, but it's gonna be nothing more than a more professionally looking 4k at which point may as well buy a cheap one.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-16-2019, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I see, unfortunately I will have to compromise.

About the 10 bit, I actually don't need it for any color work funny enough. It's because when I watch movies on my 8-bit monitor, I can see banding in dark scenes and my 10-bit monitor looks a lot better. So it's alright that the RTX2070 doesn't support 10bit for OpenGL.

I did look through BenQ's website and I liked the BenQ PD2700U. It claims 96% DCI-P3, sRGB, Rec707, 10-bit and HDR10 support. It's also just over $500, which is within budget. Any other good options? Something similar but glossy?

How about this:
I'd still like to see at minimum 8-bit +dithering
Good DCI-P3 coverage, somewhere at least 90%
Basic HDR10 content support
4k 27" range
Still highly prefer glossy. I have a Dell P2715Q and it's great, but I like my glossy monitor more much.

Thanks all!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-16-2019, 11:09 AM
Overclocker

I see, unfortunately I will have to compromise.

About the 10 bit, I actually don't need it for any color work funny enough. It's because when I watch movies on my 8-bit monitor, I can see banding in dark scenes and my 10-bit monitor looks a lot better. So it's alright that the RTX2070 doesn't support 10bit for OpenGL.

I did look through BenQ's website and I liked the BenQ PD2700U. It claims 96% DCI-P3, sRGB, Rec707, 10-bit and HDR10 support. It's also just over $500, which is within budget. Any other good options? Something similar but glossy?

How about this:
I'd still like to see at minimum 8-bit +dithering
Good DCI-P3 coverage, somewhere at least 90%
Basic HDR10 content support
4k 27" range
Still highly prefer glossy. I have a Dell P2715Q and it's great, but I like my glossy monitor more much.

Thanks all!
The banding difference probably has to do with gamma tracking.
I don't really see a difference at least not easily without taking comparison photos between 8bit and 10bit MadVR output of a 10bit movie with monitor set to 10bit.
GPUs are fine, it's the drivers that don't offer OGL 10bit. There is no difference between GeForce and Quadro and their AMD counterparts, the difference is in driver.

The only glossy I remember is Q3279VWF, the first VA variant, and it's something close to glossy, not pure gloss.
The 5k used in some Apple monitors is glossy, not sure about LG and other with this panel.
Glossy is very hard to find these days. Let alone if you want a usable glossy = one with very good AR coating as you can find on some modern TVs but not all.

PD2700U is sRGB.
PD2720U is DCI-P3.
Plus the same in 32".

Actually I thought you may find the SW271.

Many modern panels come with electronics that offer 10bit input but if it's 8bit+FRC or native 10bit is always near impossible to find and even test.

Glossy profi monitors... never heard of any.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-17-2019, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Seems you're absolutely right and they don't make glossy monitors these days .... I guess it really doesn't exist.

I'm liking the PD2700U simply because the price is a lot better than the PD2720U and SW271, even though it doesn't have a dedicated DCI-P3 colorspace. I will be getting 2x so the cost really adds up.

I guess what I'd like to know is which monitors in the PD2700U class have the lightest AG coatings? Is there any review site that specifically looks at the coating clarity?
Thanks

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
The banding difference probably has to do with gamma tracking.
I don't really see a difference at least not easily without taking comparison photos between 8bit and 10bit MadVR output of a 10bit movie with monitor set to 10bit.
GPUs are fine, it's the drivers that don't offer OGL 10bit. There is no difference between GeForce and Quadro and their AMD counterparts, the difference is in driver.

The only glossy I remember is Q3279VWF, the first VA variant, and it's something close to glossy, not pure gloss.
The 5k used in some Apple monitors is glossy, not sure about LG and other with this panel.
Glossy is very hard to find these days. Let alone if you want a usable glossy = one with very good AR coating as you can find on some modern TVs but not all.

PD2700U is sRGB.
PD2720U is DCI-P3.
Plus the same in 32".

Actually I thought you may find the SW271.

Many modern panels come with electronics that offer 10bit input but if it's 8bit+FRC or native 10bit is always near impossible to find and even test.

Glossy profi monitors... never heard of any.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-17-2019, 12:26 AM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
I guess what I'd like to know is which monitors in the PD2700U class have the lightest AG coatings? Is there any review site that specifically looks at the coating clarity?
Thanks
https://3dnews.ru/978703

Coating clarity is explored on the second page.

The UP2718Q is still the closest you'll get to your requirements, but, if budget is tight, the PD2700U is, indeed, much better value.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-17-2019, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for that review, it's really good and I probably never would have found it otherwise lol.

Any other monitors similar to the PD2700U? Or rather what are the best monitors in this <$600 price point for my applications? I'm hoping to hit a bit higher than 75% DCI-P3 but I need to stay under $1300 for a set of 2.

Once I get my top 2 or 3 picks I'll also be checking for used/open box/ebay/OCN marketplace for the next week or so to try to snag a deal.
Thanks for your help.

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
https://3dnews.ru/978703

Coating clarity is explored on the second page.

The UP2718Q is still the closest you'll get to your requirements, but, if budget is tight, the PD2700U is, indeed, much better value.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-19-2019, 08:19 PM
Overclocker

Indeed PD2720 is priced nuts. Why not get SW271 instead really at that point, maybe BenQ sells the same panel under two names with different features (less on PD) at same price XD

For sRGB there are plenty options but won't come maybe as well factory calibrated. LG sells plenty 4k 27".

The only glossy according to geizhals are 42.5"/43" 4k monitors (aka probably with the TV BGR panel).

There are two pages of listed monitors to browse, have fun:

https://geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wid...14591_76804320

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in