Overclock.net banner

Dell U2719D or LG 27UK600-W

5K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  resis 
#1 · (Edited)
I need a monitor for gaming and graphic design. I was very satisfied with the U2711, so naturally I'm looking at the 2719, which is lighter and seems to have better energy consumption and is good for graphic design. Also looks great and has an internal ac adapter.

The UK600 of course is 4k, but I'm not sure I need this, because I care about lower energy consumption and prefer performance over looks, thus I think 1440p is preferable anyway. It has free sync, but most games I play and likely will play will likely not support it anyway. I also don't like the design - white back and external ac adapter, all white cables.

Not sure what to go for. Is the LG equal in picture quality to the Dell? Which panel is better?

#3 · (Edited)
IMO go with the Dell. 27" is just too small to comfortably view 4K and the more idiots that keep buying them, the more they keep making.

Since you're interested in 1440p, IPS and 27", Pcparts Picker is a good way to get a list of all current prices. then from there you can read reviews.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&sort=price&P=2&W=2700,6500
This list has all 27" or higher 1440p IPS monitors.

Freesync is dependant upon the monitor and your graphics cards' ability to push FPS in the Freesync range that the monitor supports. Also, I think external power supplies are better than internal ones because it means there's less heat generated from inside the monitor, and the power supply can be replaced if it ever breaks.

The Acer V277U looks really good at under $300. https://www.newegg.com/acer-v277u-27-qhd/p/N82E16824011270?Item=N82E16824011270
27" IPS panel with 2560x1440 WQHD resolution
75Hz refresh rate
4ms response time
100% sRGB wide color gamut

And since your sort of interested in 4K, I would go no smaller than 32".

#4 · (Edited)
not sure what's happening but opening or copying that Newegg link adds a "redirect.viglink.com" into the address bar in front and redirects me to www.jdoqocy.com which can't be reached. Why is OCN adding a redirect to Newegg links? Copying the link and pasting it in any browser wants to open

h**p://www.jdoqocy.com/click-8471297-12087162?sid=jwf6oj0m0y023z6x05278&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newegg.com%2Facer-v277u-27-qhd%2Fp%2FN82E16824011270%3FItem%3DN82E16824011270

#5 ·
@aweir:
Good point about the external power supply. Thanks for the tips.

So I went ahead and got the Dell (U2719D).

While the picture is good and has a very nice white, there's an issue with the colour. It has a cold yellowish tint. Green (0, 255, 0) looks rather yellowish, like a neon green and blue (0,0,255) has a slight violet tint. Higher temperature makes things colder, artificial light like, but the yellow/violet tint remains. It is supposed to be a monitor properly calibrated for designers, but the colour experience is very unpleasant. I tried all the modes and settings, but the issue persists.

This might be just a calibration issue, but the bleeding is bad. It has barely noticeable light bleeding overall in the bottom/top, but there is a clear yellow glow on the sides, so intense it is visible when watching films and playing games and falsifies the colour in that area totally. The bottom corner has a shadow that is according to Dell normal, because of the thin bezel. This supposed to be a monitor for designers, but my task bar now has a gradient that isn't really there, it falsifies the picture again.

What happened with Dell? My 9 years old 2711 had none of the the issues, perfect picture, perfect colours, much darker black, better viewing angles, less glow, less light bleeding, good even picture/colours. A perfect monitor for every use, but this one is a rather frustrating experience...

At this point I consider to try a 32" monitor after all. No Dell, because of the recent experience, but also I saw people complaining about intense yellow light bleed on the recent 32" Dell. I guess Dell is over for me then.

So any ideas about a good 4k 32", if I may ask so blatantly? The BenQ PD3200U looks like a worthy U2711 successor, but might not be good for gaming I guess.

#6 ·
Some monitors have worse IPS glow than others, which explains the glowing edges. It is recommended to use IPS monitors in well lit rooms, and yes generally movies look bad on IPS monitors which is partially why televisions are mainly VA panels. About the gradient, I did not notice it before you even mentioned it, but my taskbar goes from a reddish black in the center to a greenish/yellowish black at the edges, yes that's IPS glow.

The Dell you bought has 99.9% sRGB color gamut and 85% DCI-P3 which is fairly good.

If you are going to use this monitor for graphic design I suggest you invest in a monitor calibrator like a Spyder5 Express, or ColorMunki Display. Otherwise you can (painstakingly) use online gamma test images and an application like QuickGamma or Calibrize. Don't go by the monitor's preset gamma settings alone.

I urge you to calibrate this monitor before making a final decision because it could be a good monitor but poorly calibrated, then if you determine that the backlight bleed/IPS is too much then consider another one. A good site is this http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
EDIT: I just realized the taskbar has a gradient because it is slightly transparent and your desktop image is showing through.

While that BenQ looks nice, be aware that it is a 10 bit panel and you will need a workstation graphics card that can output 10 bit image through OpenGL otherwise you'll be downgrading to 8 bits using Photoshop, but directX games will be able to utilize 10 bits.

#8 ·
I dont know where you located, but you cant give up on your first try. Yellow tint is a fault and dell will replace it. These days you need patience ;)

#9 · (Edited)
@aweir:

This picture shows the task bar on the left as it is and as I saw it on my old 2711 and even my older cheap TN display. On the right is how I see it on the new 2719. It is a minor thing, but a falsification of an image. If I can no longer view an image full screen and see it as it is, than I have no use for that monitor.
The 2711 had corner shadows, too, but only slightly visible in a full screen white picture. With colour in the background it was never visible.

Regarding the panel type. I had a Dell VA monitor briefly (2709). The black level and as good as no bleeding were amazing, but the colour representation and viewing angles weren't great. Once I tried the 2711 (IPS), there was no going back for games and films. It's all about the trade off and I'd rather have a perfect picture with natural colours, great viewing angles and no shifts in colours/brightness.
The 2711 was great and I had no reason to switch, until the monitor got physically damaged. 9 years later I hoped we had IPS technology with VA type black levels. I was surprised to see the tech being stuck in time (or rather going backward, almost).

@reqq:

Not sure I got the nerve for all the back and forth and waitings. No telling if another monitor wont have an issue as well, of course.

#10 · (Edited)
So currently I'm deciding between the Dell U3219Q, BenQ PD3200U and LG 32UD99-W.

I decided to try a 32" this time. While a 27" is good enough for most cases, after 10 years running 27" I'd like a little step up I must admit. I have been playing even the most recent games at 1440p with a GTX 680 up until few months ago for the past 8 years (only recent Star Citizen versions became unplayable with the 680), so I don't think my current RTX 2080 will falter dealing with 4k any time soon.

I guess I am willing to give Dell a chance then. Con is that it's the most expensive and is basic when it comes to features. I also fear to get another one with extreme light bleeding, but if not I hope that it's robust with the few features that it offers (I'd rather have fewer features, but those better implemented).

BenQ has an attractive price and seems to be good for graphic design, but is heavy and seems to be not as energy saving as the Dell.

LG seems a more casual device, many features such as FreeSync, but probably not really good at anything specifically. I feel a Dell would be a better choice here, although, as I see the Dell seems to have an LG panel, so I wonder if I'm not getting the same value with the LG. I guess Dell's factory calibration is a plus compared to LG.

As said before, I'm looking for an all-rounder; gaming, graphic design and film. None of it in the extreme (no fast paced competitive gaming, no specialized professional design at this point and acceptable for watching films as I was satisfied with the 2711).

I'm not sure what other alternatives there would be at this point. Feels like there's so much yet so little choice, when it comes to the price point of the above mentioned monitors.

#12 ·
I got the Dell U3219Q. No colour issues as with the U2719D, everything looks as expected (no greenish tint). The black level is actually very good in my opinion, much darker than the U2719D. The only real issue is, as expected, the yellow bleeding. It is barely noticeable in the top (only with a full black screen), but the bottom ones they stand out, especially the viewing angle (due to the size of the monitor) makes them glow even more. Dark elements in the bottom corners get a yellowish tint. Not sure what to do about that, I have my doubts it will get any better with another model. Should I play the lottery?

I loaded up Star Citizen and don't want to go back to 27" after this, hah. The size/peripheral range makes you feel almost present, without the FOV being too wide making things too small and if you get close to the screen you see tiny details without pixelation, almost like zooming in. Mind actually blown.
An Ultrawide seems like a good idea, but I don't like the narrowed top/bottom peripherals. An uniformly larger screen is something else altogether, especially with the games I play, where looking up and down is necessary (Flight games, platformers such as Tomb Raider, etc.).

The scaling is messed up though, everything looks deformed.
Shame that overclocking doesn't seem to work with this one. I overclocked the U2719D to 74Hz and it ran well, but this one doesn't like it.

I am contemplating to order the LG 32UD99-W, to have a direct comparison. Wonder if Freesync is worth it. I had no tearing with the tested games (Doom, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Elite Dangerous). Star Citizen had some issues, but it is not well optimized anyway at this point. I fear LG customer support isn't good (I hear people say monitor breaks and support problems begin). Dell seems a safer bet.

Not sure what to do. Without the bottom bleeding this would have been the perfect monitor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.