LG GK950F Blurry Without Sharpening Effect? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

LG GK950F Blurry Without Sharpening Effect?

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
LG GK950F Blurry Without Sharpening Effect?

I recently purchased the LG GK950F, 144hz, Freesync, 3440x1440 resolution, 34inch, 21:9 monitor.

I usually like to remove sharpening on my TV & monitors because it adds extra processing onto the picture and removes the intended picture that the game/video was captured in.

For whatever reason, most everything seems far too blurry to an extreme with this set to 0 on this monitor. Ex) Games seem far too blurry even with the game settings set to 3440x1440, websites, a lot of text, pictures you see across the web, even youtube videos that are captured in high res footage by popular youtubers that have high end equipment for rendering quality videos ex LTT, jayz2cent, gamers nexus, general videos

Windows settings are set to 3440x1440, games are also, youtube videos I am making sure are set to highest quality.

Am I missing something? bad panel? this is essentially a 2k monitor in 21:9 scale. Seems far too poor of quality unless I turn sharpening on. help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 319 (Unique: 231)
Check lagom.nl sharpness pattern, if it's not blending in flawlessly then you have sharpness issues and depending on which square of the pattern is darker and brighter decides if your monitor is blurry or oversharpening.

LG loves to blur their modern gaming monitors.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Firmware maybe?

https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...950F-B#manuals

probably not related, but will post anyway

https://zerolives.com/article/an483u...ng-with-g-sync

sf
(7 items)
CPU
i9-9900k
Motherboard
Phantom SLi/ac
GPU
1660 SC Ultra
RAM
16Gb G-skill
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
660p
Power Supply
Corsair CX650
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Rocklin; 06-24-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I also noticed that picture on aoc q3279vwfd8 is little blurry when gsync is activated. I thought that is same with freesync!? But no blurriness on destop only in games when gsync is on.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 533 (Unique: 302)
my asus pro-art is the same. I have to have sharp @ 50%+ for games to not look perma-FXAA

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 18)
Quote: Originally Posted by RedBlueHue4 View Post
I recently purchased the LG GK950F, 144hz, Freesync, 3440x1440 resolution, 34inch, 21:9 monitor.

I usually like to remove sharpening on my TV & monitors because it adds extra processing onto the picture and removes the intended picture that the game/video was captured in.

For whatever reason, most everything seems far too blurry to an extreme with this set to 0 on this monitor. Ex) Games seem far too blurry even with the game settings set to 3440x1440, websites, a lot of text, pictures you see across the web, even youtube videos that are captured in high res footage by popular youtubers that have high end equipment for rendering quality videos ex LTT, jayz2cent, gamers nexus, general videos

Windows settings are set to 3440x1440, games are also, youtube videos I am making sure are set to highest quality.

Am I missing something? bad panel? this is essentially a 2k monitor in 21:9 scale. Seems far too poor of quality unless I turn sharpening on. help
The sharpening value in a monitor OSD from one manufacturer to another is not comparable. For example, some monitors ship with sharpening at 50 or 10 which is equivalent to 0. Whatever value that LG shipped with is it's "0" sharpening so if you are reducing it you are effectively applying negative sharpening.

Realistically you should never be touching sharpening on any PC display.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:42 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 319 (Unique: 231)
Not all PC displays ship neutral sharpened, if they have a setting to adjust sharpness the default setting is not always neutral either, even when it has adjustment settings it doesn't mean that any of the settings actually gives an untouched input image = neutral sharpness. That's the problem.

I didn't notice sharpness difference when I switched to Async from fixed refresh on Q3279VWFD8 in games. And I switched back and forth a few times and played different games. There is no reason there should be a difference either, they are not gonna magically slap more garbage post processing when Async is activated. There can be a perceived difference in "sharpness" if you're used to seeing cut edges/frames, so the teared edges in game may look "sharper" to you than a clean synced edge. But on a static image there should be no difference what so ever. Testing it on this monitor means toggling the NVCP settings and turning monitor off/on = one has to setup a static camera to even be able to check for differences as there is no simple on/off toggle for Async on the monitor.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 18)
99% of monitors ship with neutral sharpness. This guy is the only person on the planet who goes into the OSD and 0's out sharpness on his displays. Otherwise you'd hear a lot more complaints regarding it on the 950F. I never saw any issue with it the way it shipped (tried both the 950G/F).

Even TV's in PC mode default to neutral (Sony 50, Samsung 10, etc).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in